The Student Room Group

Nigel Pearson sacked... again

Scroll to see replies

Original post by atom y humber
On mobile. This is difficult to use enough as it is that I'd rather not attempt posting link. It's easy to find anyways- just look at the bbc articles and compare it to other outlets.

Yeah read it-lots of ambiguity about it.
Original post by mojojojo101
And as is plainly obvious, playing well in itself doesn't get you anywhere.
Manager of the YEAR is an award for the best manager over the YEAR, do you actually believe that doing well in only the last 2 months qualifies you for an award for performance over the YEAR.

But you said they were totally crap which is just the total antithesis of their performance for majority of the season. Everyone was baffled that they found themselves in a relegation battle because their performance was top 10.

They should've won at the emirates amongst others. They weren't crap for majority of the season let alone 20-30 games lol.
Steve Cotterill shooting up out of nowhere (5/1 longest odds, 2/1 shortest). You can only laugh... :sigh:
(edited 8 years ago)
Neil Lennon must be in with a shout, surely? I remember him and Steve Guppy bossing the midfield back in the day.

Reply 44
Give it to Lineker
Original post by sr90
Neil Lennon must be in with a shout, surely? I remember him and Steve Guppy bossing the midfield back in the day.

He's the bookies favourite but would be a massively underwhelming appointment that wouldn't even be considered if he weren't an ex-player: just about won the league in a 1 team division at Celtic and done nothing with Bolton.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Why? The player himself said that incident was blown massively out of proportion and was basically nothing. Sacking a manager for some misguided outside view of an incident that both sides have played down would be madness.

Not being funny but he strangled the guy on the pitch.. McArthur clearly thought he was joking at first but then when he wouldn't let him go it just got a bit weird. The guy is crazy, like who does that anyway.. Plus the strange comments he comes out with, I'm convinced there's something not right about him.
Original post by jennymather
Not being funny but he strangled the guy on the pitch.. McArthur clearly thought he was joking at first but then when he wouldn't let him go it just got a bit weird. The guy is crazy, like who does that anyway.. Plus the strange comments he comes out with, I'm convinced there's something not right about him.

Which is why McArthur said afterwards that "it's going to get blown out of proportion but there's nothing in it on my part", and that he was taking it as a joke... - it was a nothing incident according to both parties. As for the comments, this is the problem with modern football - if it were a big name like mourinho that came out with it, journalists and fans would be spaffing themselves silly about "top bantz"; the incidents this season have generally been blown well out of proportion - the attendee (under no circumstances does he qualify as a fan) deserved to get the abuse back with the constant stream he was handing out, the McArthur incident was nothing, and the interactions with journalists are only made out to be something because leicester and pearson aren't fashionable.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Pearson apparently has moved to Australia to look after his ostriches so that the club says
Original post by kingj2015
Pearson apparently has moved to Australia to look after his ostriches so that the club says

Ever considered becoming a comedian?
Which is why McArthur said afterwards that "it's going to get blown out of proportion but there's nothing in it on my part", and that he was taking it as a joke... - it was a nothing incident according to both parties. As for the comments, this is the problem with modern football - if it were a big name like mourinho that came out with it, journalists and fans would be spaffing themselves silly about "top bantz"; the incidents this season have generally been blown well out of proportion - the attendee (under no circumstances does he qualify as a fan) deserved to get the abuse back with the constant stream he was handing out, the McArthur incident was nothing, and the interactions with journalists are only made out to be something because leicester and pearson aren't fashionable.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Too right Pearson isn't fashionable, because being totally crazy isn't. I have no doubt that the McArthur incident wasn't a joke, and I think this is backed up by his ridiculous comments. The fact is, a big name manager, or anyone else in fact, wouldn't come out with those comments! Doing strange things possibly runs in the family too with the recent incident with his son!
Too right Pearson isn't fashionable, because being totally crazy isn't. I have no doubt that the McArthur incident wasn't a joke, and I think this is backed up by his ridiculous comments.

Given McArthur and Pearson have both said it was a joke I've no idea what to say to that.

The fact is, a big name manager, or anyone else in fact, wouldn't come out with those comments!

Yeah, because no manager has ever been a dick to journalists like Van Gaal was earlier this season, or Ferguson was for the best part of 2 decades... oh, wait...

:lol:
Given McArthur and Pearson have both said it was a joke I've no idea what to say to that.

Yeah, because no manager has ever been a dick to journalists like Van Gaal was earlier this season, or Ferguson was for the best part of 2 decades... oh, wait...

Agree to disagree then because those were not the actions of someone that was joking. And it's not the fact that he wasn't pleasant to journalists, it's just the way he acts and the things he says are very odd.
Holloway is only well known fo his dumbass quotes. Pearson was a strange one, but I wouldn't say he was crazy or really out there compared to other managers.
Agree to disagree then because those were not the actions of someone that was joking. And it's not the fact that he wasn't pleasant to journalists, it's just the way he acts and the things he says are very odd.

Well it's not a case of agree to disagree since it's pretty clear cut. This is like being a jury member pushing for guilty after both the defendant and victim give corroborating statements showing the defendant to be innocent.

So, the ostrich comment. Because of course Mourinho has never said anything stark raving mental in a press-conference about little horses that need to learn how to jump. And Rafa Benitez definitely never said of Hodgson that he couldn't see a priest on a mountain of sugar, because white liquid in a bottle has to be milk...
Well it's not a case of agree to disagree since it's pretty clear cut. This is like being a jury member pushing for guilty after both the defendant and victim give corroborating statements showing the defendant to be innocent.

So, the ostrich comment. Because of course Mourinho has never said anything stark raving mental in a press-conference about little horses that need to learn how to jump. And Rafa Benitez definitely never said of Hodgson that he couldn't see a priest on a mountain of sugar, because white liquid in a bottle has to be milk...

Well actually it is, we both have different opinions. Let's put it this way, he has took you to the prem and kept you there, why has he been sacked? Because they'd rather have someone who isn't totally crazy in charge.
Well actually it is, we both have different opinions. Let's put it this way, he has took you to the prem and kept you there, why has he been sacked? Because they'd rather have someone who isn't totally crazy in charge.

It doesn't matter if you hold a different opinion if it's wrong - the McArthur incident was a joke blown out of proportion, anyone who says otherwise has got their head in the sand given both sides have said that.

Pure conjecture - at the moment all we know is it's a working relationship problem, that could be anything from disagreeing about the direction of the club and the ambition to be shown, the transfer policy or how the background staff should be structured (whether to have a DOF for instance) before we even look at his public image (because let's be clear, he's not crazy, he's actually a very reasonable character outside of the limelight, read the interview with Henry winter earlier this season)

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
It doesn't matter if you hold a different opinion if it's wrong - the McArthur incident was a joke blown out of proportion, anyone who says otherwise has got their head in the sand given both sides have said that.

Pure conjecture - at the moment all we know is it's a working relationship problem, that could be anything from disagreeing about the direction of the club and the ambition to be shown, the transfer policy or how the background staff should be structured (whether to have a DOF for instance) before we even look at his public image (because let's be clear, he's not crazy, he's actually a very reasonable character outside of the limelight, read the interview with Henry winter earlier this season)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Saying it's blown out of proportion doesn't mean it's a joke you know.. And my opinion isn't wrong. And that's all you'll ever know, they'll never come out and say we sacked him because he's a nutcase. And the fact they've not said an actual reason speaks volumes in my opinion (which just because it's my opinion, doesn't make it wrong btw)
Saying it's blown out of proportion doesn't mean it's a joke you know.. And my opinion isn't wrong.

No, that both said it was a joke means it's a joke. And if your opinion is that it wasn't a joke besides both involved parties saying it was, then your opinion is wrong. End of story.

And the fact they've not said an actual reason speaks volumes in my opinion (which just because it's my opinion, doesn't make it wrong btw)

Several massive problems with that though - a) boards never tend to say exactly why. Break down of working relationship refers to any disagreement. b) if it were to do with his behaviour they wouldn't have kept him in February and he would have been gone before now - as it is they've just let him spend £10m on players before sacking him, no-one in their right mind would do that if they planned to sack the manager.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest