The Student Room Group

What are the nicest and worst University cities?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
London, Manchester, nottingham are all good for activities.
Cambridge looks very nice but the city is too boring for me.
Reply 21
Don't understand the hate for Manchester in my opinion it is by far the best city in the north, far better than leeds / newcastle.
Id say best are - Manchester / London / Bristol / Brighton
Original post by cambio wechsel
Excepting the university there is nothing there.

The answer to your question is:

Best
Bath
Edinburgh
Brighton/Cardiff

Worst
Bolton
Preston
Coventry

Agree with Cardiff.

OP, Durham, Oxford and Cambridge? All they have is the ****ing uni?
Reply 23
Original post by Twinpeaks
Agree with Cardiff.

Actually nightlife is ok in Oxford, and I am talking about having low crime rates and how attractive the city is
Original post by EllieC130
Canterbury is gorgeous; I'm pretty biased but it is lovely.

I adore Canterbury, it's my local city back home :biggrin:

I study in Plymouth. People say it's ugly, rundown, etc, and I can see where they're coming from. However, there really is something for everyone, from heavy clubbers to the type who'd rather go for a cream tea and a game of Scrabble. Also, you have the sea moments away from the campus, Cornwall on your doorstep and a relatively low crime rate! :biggrin:
I went uni in Oxford and it's not all that. The city center is tiny, shopping is awful and the nightlife is pretty lame. The Oxford Uni buildings are genuinely amazing but that is all Oxford has. The cotswold villages and neighboring market towns are genuinely nice places though.

I'd honestly rather go university in Nottingham or Manchester. Awesome cities imo, haven't seen much of Sheffield but had 10 minutes to browse whilst waiting for the train to Leeds and I was very pleasantly surprised with what I saw.
Original post by Twinpeaks
Agree with Cardiff.

This. There is NOTHING to do in Oxford whatsoever it's the most boring city in the country. A few nice buildings in the city center is all it has and you get bored of them after a week.
Reply 27
Original post by RoundTrip
This. There is NOTHING to do in Oxford whatsoever it's the most boring city in the country. A few nice buildings in the city center is all it has and you get bored of them after a week.

How? There are loads of clubs... Do you really think that no company would put a night club there when there are two big universities in the city?

However I have heard that social life at Oxford Uni itself isn't that great, possibly because a certain type of people go there (very studious etc.) which may be why you think it's boring there

And as for Nottingham and Manchester, they may have a lot to do but they have top crime rates as well, and aren't exactly very nice cities
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Phan66
How? There are loads of clubs... Do you really think that no company would put a night club there when there are two big universities in the city? However I have heard that social life at Oxford Uni itself isn't that great, possibly because a certain type of people go there (very studious etc.)

There are night clubs but they are tiny, crowded, expensive and close way too early. Honestly the clubs are dire, every other city I've been out in is better. Purple Turtle in Oxford is by far the best "club" but it is absolutely TINY.

The people I've met from Oxford uni are extremely strange generally. You can generally spot them a mile off because they aren't "normal". Lots of suits and tweed being worn in clubs, so bizarre.
Reply 29
Hmm, does anyone else have anything to say about nighlife in Oxford city, as i'm actually considering going to Uni there
Reply 30

Seen you a few times in the Oxford Brookes forum. Is it really that dire?

Might be applying for English as I've done my A2s but I like big cities (raised in Cardiff, currently close to Winchester and hate it)
Best - London

nothing else really compares, unless you want to pretend you're Harry Potter...
Edinburgh is a nice city but he university itself isn't great. Glasgow is a good place to go to uni. The universities in the west end which is a beautiful part of town. It's all sand stone building, a lot of parks, and so on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Best - Newcastle
Original post by Daisy21
Seen you a few times in the Oxford Brookes forum. Is it really that dire?

Might be applying for English as I've done my A2s but I like big cities (raised in Cardiff, currently close to Winchester and hate it)

I'm definitely enjoying it here but honestly Oxford has nothing on a decent city in my opinion. Everything is too small and crappy, you can see everything there is to see in about half an hour. The only thing worth noting in Oxford is Oxford University which is genuinely amazing the first few times you see it, there's some okay museums too.

We are paying London prices (without the increased loans to compensate) for a pretty mediocre town. I don't regret going to Oxford but I just can't help but think how much more fun I'd be having in Manchester or Leeds.
I really like Cambridge, I prefer areas like here over the concrete jungle. Wish I was smart enough to go here.
Phan, Ahahaha it seems you've never been to Manchester. If you walk around waving your wads of cash and acting like a dick in the outskirts, yes you'll probably get mugged - but I think the that'd be the same as in Oxford.

Blatantly the older cities that resemble Hogwarts are going to be considered the prettiest, rightly so, but quite frankly there is a reason London, Manchester and Nottingham are renowned as being the most fun places in the UK. The old cities simply can't compete unless your sole purpose in life is to idly walk and admire architecture 24/7.

Tell me, can you have a sophisticated late lunch followed by bowling, rock climbing, boozing and then one of the best House music scenes for 6 hours until the early hours within half a square kilometre in Oxford? Nah.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by luckbox
Don't understand the hate for Manchester in my opinion it is by far the best city in the north, far better than leeds / newcastle.
Id say best are - Manchester / London / Bristol / Brighton

I want to visit Bristol. When I think of Manchester all I can think of is Industrial Age Britain. -_- Can you link me some nice pics of Manchester?

Original post by rayquaza17
Best - Newcastle

I really want to visit it. I fantasise with this city so much! It probably is because so many folk hype it so much. Is it a cold city compare the South?
Reply 38
I'm definitely enjoying it here but honestly Oxford has nothing on a decent city in my opinion. Everything is too small and crappy, you can see everything there is to see in about half an hour. The only thing worth noting in Oxford is Oxford University which is genuinely amazing the first few times you see it, there's some okay museums too.

We are paying London prices (without the increased loans to compensate) for a pretty mediocre town. I don't regret going to Oxford but I just can't help but think how much more fun I'd be having in Manchester or Leeds.

Thanks. So the nightlife sucks then?

Been down there a few times as my brother works in Oxford, I can't help but notice it's pretty in the daytime but seems to get really unsafe at night. I felt more unsafe there than in the middle of Cardiff, even in the City Centre.
Reply 39

I completely agree. Been there three times and, once I went through the university buildings, the boredom was overwhelming.

Nightlife is basically non-existent, and the shops are mediocre to bad.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending