The Student Room Group

Talented in computers, no ICT qualification post GCSE. Need advice.

The options I took at GCSE were the subject I thought I'd find interesting, and not the ones I'm necessarily good at. Many of my friends who are looking at A/A* in GCSE ICT say I probably know more than them in the subject.

Not to brag at all, it's just I see this as a lot of wasted potential for me. A high grade in ICT would equate to more academic success, but obviously the GCSE window has passed (or has it?) and I'll have to wait next year, when I'll be heads into A-Level.

I'd like to whack out a qualification in the summer holidays to get that edge. Where can I start, or what course can I do? How would this work?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NottNott
The options I took at GCSE were the subject I thought I'd find interesting, and not the ones I'm necessarily good at. Many of my friends who are looking at A/A* in GCSE ICT say I probably know more than them in the subject.
Not to brag at all, it's just I see this as a lot of wasted potential for me. A high grade in ICT would equate to more academic success, but obviously the GCSE window has passed (or has it?) and I'll have to wait next year, when I'll be heads into A-Level.
I'd like to whack out a qualification in the summer holidays to get that edge. Where can I start, or what course can I do? How would this work?

Are you trolling?

You must be joking. GCSE ICT is a waste of time/energy and a qualification, it will get you nowhere.
Reply 3
No, seriously. I didn't know GCSE ICT is this worthless.

If you guys insist I'm trolling, it's probably worthless anyway.
Reply 4
Seriously, wait until A Level. I can't even remember what I did in GCSE ICT... it was that important.
Reply 5

You could just go straight into A-Level without doing GCSE?

I don't know if that is allowed in England, but in Scotland we have a system where you can 'crash' a subject, that is take it to a higher/advanced higher level (equivalent to A-Level) without having done the equivalent of GCSE.

I never studied IT at school because I felt the subject was a waste of time, although I do a lot of computer programming, so next year for my final year of school I am crashing straight into advanced higher (equivalent to second year of A-Levels but slightly harder).
why not do a vendor certificate from Microsft? I did it, tbh if you want a job in tech support 9x10 they dont care about your CS degree they want you to have certificates such as MCSA. Take alook a the the microsoft technology associate exams, I banged one out in 6 weeks (tbh it can be done in two, I work full-time), currently preparing for another before moving onto higher level certification.
Reply 7
You should try and study A+ N+ Cisco etc. Those are the qualifications that are generally sort after in the IT industry.
Original post by Jabberjay_
You must be joking. GCSE ICT is a waste of time/energy and a qualification, it will get you nowhere.

As I have been learning the hard way over the past six years! :sadnod: :frown:

GCSE ICT is useless. I didn't do it and I'm not that bothered that I didn't. :h: For all Level 3 Computing & ICT courses you don't need it to get in, therefore deeming it useless. If you're interested and as computer proficient as you claim, do A-Level Computing or ICT as one of your options.

In fact literally everyone in my AS Computing class didn't do any ICT qualification before it. :dontknow:
How talented are you?
Original post by yellowcopter
GCSE ICT is useless. I didn't do it and I'm not that bothered that I didn't. :h: For all Level 3 Computing & ICT courses you don't need it to get in, therefore deeming it useless. If you're interested and as computer proficient as you claim, do A-Level Computing or ICT as one of your options.

In fact literally everyone in my AS Computing class didn't do any ICT qualification before it. :dontknow:

I doubt A-level ICT improves much on GCSE ICT.
Original post by Jooooshy
I doubt A-level ICT improves much on GCSE ICT.

I agree, but OP is talking about GCSE ICT so I just assumed his knowledge was more workplace IT rather than programming, etc.

Just wanted to mention that Level 2 ICT qualifications aren't really needed, and that all Level 3 Computer Science & ICT qualifications would still be available. :smile:
If you want to get into computers you need maths and physics more than anything really.
Original post by aamirac
If you want to get into computers you need maths and physics more than anything really.

Why physics?
Why physics?

Because physics deals with computer problems like spinning disks, speed of light,current, circuits, electricity...how it works, how things move, Gravity, restrictions in AI and so on
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by aamirac
Because physics deals with computer problems like spinning disks, speed of light,current, circuits, electricity...how it works, how things move, Gravity, restrictions in AI and so on

Yeah, that's relevant for EE. It's worth noting that you do not need physics for CS (unless you decide to steer towards quantum computing).
Yeah, that's relevant for EE. It's worth noting that you do not need physics for CS (unless you decide to steer towards quantum computing).

Just saying considering OP will be doing A-levels and why not aim high.
Most of the top unis want maths and physics because they do go hand in hand. Just keeping options open.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by aamirac
Just saying considering OP will be doing A-levels and why not aim high.
Most of the top unis want maths and physics because they do go hand in hand.

Which degree, EE or CS?
Which degree, EE or CS?

CS

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending