The Student Room Group

University of Exeter (Penryn Campus) or Nottingham University for Business/Management

Ok so i missed my Exeter offer by 5 points, needed 36 got 31 :frown: Exeter can't unfortunately offer me a place at Main Campus doing Business and Management at the Business School in Streatham but can offer me a place on the new BSc Business course in the much smaller Penryn Campus in cornwall (4000 students & shared with Falmouth Uni) However Nottingham my insurance will offer me a place with them for Management at their main business school, no problems. Has anyone had any experience of The Exeter Penryn Campus compared to main campus? Or the Business BSc Program at Penryn? Should I accept Exeter at the Penryn Campus or accept Nottingham? Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ck12111
Ok so i missed my Exeter offer by 5 points, needed 36 got 31 :frown: Exeter can't unfortunately offer me a place at Main Campus doing Business and Management at the Business School in Streatham but can offer me a place on the new BSc Business course in the much smaller Penryn Campus in cornwall (4000 students & shared with Falmouth Uni) However Nottingham my insurance will offer me a place with them for Management at their main business school, no problems. Has anyone had any experience of The Exeter Penryn Campus compared to main campus? Or the Business BSc Program at Penryn? Should I accept Exeter at the Penryn Campus or accept Nottingham? Thanks!

I would be very wary of courses at 'secondary' campuses such as Penryn. Facilities might not be as good and the lecturers will probably be different.

Nottingham is a very good university.
Do some research on Penryn. I did so once I received an offer and decided I didn't want to be in the middle of nowhere (literally).
Nottingham is much better than Exeter anyway! Blessing in disguise IMO
Reply 4
Original post by Bobby Schamouth
Missing your offer by 5 points is quite a serious thing! Jesus, not even Oxford Brookes would take you in with 31. I would take what ever offer you get.

Thanks for the positive thoughts.
Original post by ck12111
Thanks for the positive thoughts.

I am only kidding, m8. Believe yaself. You are the only person who can beat you.
Reply 6
Original post by mizzsnazzter

You think?! Might I ask why you think that? :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Comeback
Do some research on Penryn. I did so once I received an offer and decided I didn't want to be in the middle of nowhere (literally).

This is also my thinking. :smile: Did anything else come out of your research? Where do you go now?
Reply 8
Original post by ageshallnot
I would be very wary of courses at 'secondary' campuses such as Penryn. Facilities might not be as good and the lecturers will probably be different.

Nottingham is a very good university.

Yeah the facilities at Penryn are pretty poor. I too think Nottingham is good. :smile: Where did you decide to go to in the end?
Reply 9

Exeter is much better than Nottingham for Business , and the fact that Exeter said no, and Notts said sure, is an indication as well.
Reply 10
Original post by Film
Exeter is much better than Nottingham for Business , and the fact that Exeter said no, and Notts said sure, is an indication as well.

Might I ask why you think that Exeter is better than Nottingham?
Reply 11
Sure:
-Exeter is one of only 4 Universities in England with all Business courses ranked in the top ten.
-the students entering have higher A level grades than Notts (50% of all AAA students now apply to Exeter)
-Exeter students perform better in the Company business competitions etc.
- The Exeter business school is hot now, and companies are offering Exeter students great placements and jobs now. For example, Microsoft selected An Exeter student as intern of the year out of 125 interns for this year.

Etc.
Original post by ck12111
Yeah the facilities at Penryn are pretty poor. I too think Nottingham is good. :smile: Where did you decide to go to in the end?

I didn't study business - I read history many years ago. That's why I didn't express my views as certainties, but as probabilities. I looked at the two Exeter history courses a while ago. The Penryn course was completely different and taught by different lecturers - those at the Streatham campus looked to be much better. Therefore I believe it is highly likely that the same situation exists for business. While the above points in favour of Exeter might or might not be correct, I would bet a fair amount that they apply mainly to Streatham.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ck12111
This is also my thinking. :smile: Did anything else come out of your research? Where do you go now?

The best thing going for that campus is your degree will be from a prestiguous Russell Group university - it is also very quiet (which might or might not suit you). The drawbacks, however, are: very poor transport links in and out of a very rural area, (for my degree choice) almost no module choice, feeling like it is second class campus compared to Exeter's main.

I'm currently waiting for my Results, I'm hoping to go to Surrey :smile:
Original post by Film
Sure:
-Exeter is one of only 4 Universities in England with all Business courses ranked in the top ten.
-the students entering have higher A level grades than Notts (50% of all AAA students now apply to Exeter)
-Exeter students perform better in the Company business competitions etc.
- The Exeter business school is hot now, and companies are offering Exeter students great placements and jobs now. For example, Microsoft selected An Exeter student as intern of the year out of 125 interns for this year.

Etc.

This is incredibly biased, and I'm sure you could take some very equally glossy exciting facts from the Nottingham website too

For example, Nottingham is the most targeted university by employers etc.... I'm sure every university can reel off stats or facts that work in their favour, you've just got to see past the glossy sales pitch and look at them both unbiasedly - a good place to start would be unistats, have a look at the number of 1sts/2:1s from each course, the average starting salary, student satisfaction etc :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
This is incredibly biased, and I'm sure you could take some very equally glossy exciting facts from the Nottingham website too

For example, Nottingham is the most targeted university by employers etc.... I'm sure every university can reel off stats or facts that work in their favour, you've just got to see past the glossy sales pitch and look at them both unbiasedly - a good place to start would be unistats, have a look at the number of 1sts/2:1s from each course, the average starting salary, student satisfaction etc :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Another good place to look is the CUG rankings. Oh, Exeter wins that one. Exeter is all about that winning.
I'm at the Penryn Campus for Politics, I know for my course that Penryn is ranked better than main campus due to smaller classes so we get more one on one time and help with stuff. It's not quite in the middle of nowhere, it's a 2 minute walk to the village of Penryn. Anyway, if a city appeals to you like Nottingham, it won't be the place for you. Make sure to look at the course outlines and see which one suits you the best when picking as that is most important as you have to spend 3 years studying that course. If you have any questions about the Penryn Campus, you can send me a PM
Original post by GemmaConlin
I'm at the Penryn Campus for Politics, I know for my course that Penryn is ranked better than main campus due to smaller classes so we get more one on one time and help with stuff. It's not quite in the middle of nowhere, it's a 2 minute walk to the village of Penryn. Anyway, if a city appeals to you like Nottingham, it won't be the place for you. Make sure to look at the course outlines and see which one suits you the best when picking as that is most important as you have to spend 3 years studying that course. If you have any questions about the Penryn Campus, you can send me a PM

You will always have an asterisk over your degree, though. People know Penryn is for people who weren't good enough for Streatham, which you can downplay by mentioning smaller class sizes, but it's the truth.
Original post by Bobby Schamouth
You will always have an asterisk over your degree, though. People know Penryn is for people who weren't good enough for Streatham, which you can downplay by mentioning smaller class sizes, but it's the truth.

There isn't anything on the degree certificate which differentiates the two, it just says that you graduates from the University of Exeter. That's not often the case, I personally could have gone to either but chose Penryn as I wanted a small/ quiet place. Also at Penryn, there is a higher percentage of people getting 2.1s or above than at main campus.
Original post by GemmaConlin
There isn't anything on the degree certificate which differentiates the two, it just says that you graduates from the University of Exeter. That's not often the case, I personally could have gone to either but chose Penryn as I wanted a small/ quiet place. Also at Penryn, there is a higher percentage of people getting 2.1s or above than at main campus.

I wasn't talking about a literal asterisk. People will know your degree is less valuable for it came from the Penryn campus. You can make the claim that you chose the smaller campus, but like the OP, a lot of people do not have that choice. That's why it takes in people who are BBB. I guess the high percentage of people who get 2.1 at Penryn with BBB at A-Level are just smarter than the AAA people at Streatham -- it could not possibly have anything to do with the markers being easier or anything. NAH, nothing to do with that.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending