The Student Room Group

Article: Meningitis: learn to spot the signs and symptoms

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AmyPilot
I started uni last year and wasn't offered the vaccine and this year it doesn't seem to apply the returning students.

If you can, have the needle - someone from my college died of meningitis last year three months after starting uni.

Don't risk it, please.

Scary. :frown:

Original post by Roving Fish
Bear in mind that this will be available for the first time tomorrow... Allegedly GPs should be sending letters out to 17-25 year olds.

I'd happily have this, but seeing as I'm in my fourth year of uni - I'm unsure as to whether I can actually ask for this vaccine.

Do it! TSR will be sad place if you die because of meningitis. :frown:
Original post by Juichiro
Scary. :frown:

Do it! TSR will be sad place if you die because of meningitis. :frown:

Haha thanks! :lol:

The thing is, I'm in my fourth year of uni!
I saw an article about this. I thought it was a new vaccine, not an old one that was now being offered to older people.
I got booked in to see the nurse, told her my age and being a student this year.
I got a vaccine in each arm! She said I had missed a booster that I was supposed to have in my teens too.

All done now though, I think that's me up to date.
Just to add - If there is a new vaccine, my surgery didn't know anything about it :/ just got me up to date with one that has already been out.
I went to have the vaccine today; I'm a mature student who doesn't fall into the 18-25 age range, but I spoke to the nurse who told me that in the guidelines it states that a first time university student of any age can have it if they weren't vaccinated against MenC as child 👍
I'm over the age limit so won't be offered it so I would get it but I can't.
Reply 86
Can someone tell me - is this the standard one that most people had as a child/ then again in their teens? Cause I started uni at twenty and was given a few vaccinations (pretty sure meningitis was amongst them) just before I went, so am I to assume I'm covered?
Original post by Himeros
Can someone tell me - is this the standard one that most people had as a child/ then again in their teens? Cause I started uni at twenty and was given a few vaccinations (pretty sure meningitis was amongst them) just before I went, so am I to assume I'm covered?

As I understand it, it's not - previously students were only offered a Men C booster before going to university, which is probably what you got. This only protects you against Meningitis C, since I think that is the most common in students. This year new students are being offered the Men ACWY vaccine, which provides protection against Meningitis A, C, W and Y. Cases of Meningitis W have been increasing in number among students, which is why they've introduced the new vaccination for them on the NHS, although it has been available privately for a while. If you didn't receive this then it may be worth investigating, but it sounds like you're probably protected against Men C at least. :smile:
Just a warning to people going to get their jab - your arm will a bit more sore than with other ones. I had a dead arm for four days :frown:
Original post by Kathiye
As I understand it, it's not - previously students were only offered a Men C booster before going to university, which is probably what you got. This only protects you against Meningitis C, since I think that is the most common in students. This year new students are being offered the Men ACWY vaccine, which provides protection against Meningitis A, C, W and Y. Cases of Meningitis W have been increasing in number among students, which is why they've introduced the new vaccination for them on the NHS, although it has been available privately for a while. If you didn't receive this then it may be worth investigating, but it sounds like you're probably protected against Men C at least. :smile:

So if gets the Men ACWY vaccine that includes the Men C vaccine he already got, what will happen?
Also what about postgrads? Will they do it too?

Original post by sarcasmrules
Just a warning to people going to get their jab - your arm will a bit more sore than with other ones. I had a dead arm for four days :frown:

What! I need to do my CS :frown: What do you mean by dead arm?
Just got back from my vaccine. I'm in my fourth year but because the guidelines are a bit blurry the Head Nurse said they'd give it to me.

It didn't hurt at all when they did it, but now 3 and a half hours later it's started to get a bit achy. :grumble: I can understand why she asked me which arm I write with now. :frown:
So if gets the Men ACWY vaccine that includes the Men C vaccine he already got, what will happen?
Also what about postgrads? Will they do it too?

What! I need to do my CS :frown: What do you mean by dead arm?

I mean that it will be all achey for a few days, so don't expect to lift things with it haha! What's CS?
I didn't have the new one, think it was Men C I had done, to catch up with what I missed. So not the Men ACWY or which ever one it is that students are most likely to catch.
Original post by sarcasmrules
I mean that it will be all achey for a few days, so don't expect to lift things with it haha! What's CS?

Do a regex on your sig with it and you will get your answer. :wink:

inb4 turingrulesandyouknowit
just reading this makes my arm where i got my last HPV vaccine ache.lol....
Do a regex on your sig with it and you will get your answer. :wink:

inb4 turingrulesandyouknowit

Aah, just wasn't sure why that would be hindered by a dead arm, haha.
Reply 96
I have a question - why on the nhs website does it say this - 'Students in their second year or above of university do not need the vaccine and are not included in this programme.'

Why do you not need it if you're a second or third year student?!
Original post by Himeros
I have a question - why on the nhs website does it say this - 'Students in their second year or above of university do not need the vaccine and are not included in this programme.'

Why do you not need it if you're a second or third year student?!

Probably because at the moment they're targeting those most at risk quite heavily. You're most likely to get it as a first time fresher because of the cocktail of different germs from around the country.

I wouldn't be surprised if they opened it up to those in 2nd and 3rd year later in the academic year.
I'm really worried about myself or (even worse) someone I know getting meningitis. One of my friends is getting the vaccine THE DAY BEFORE moving into halls. Any reassurance? :s-smilie:
Original post by ☺Cat☺
I'm really worried about myself or (even worse) someone I know getting meningitis. One of my friends is getting the vaccine THE DAY BEFORE moving into halls. Any reassurance? :s-smilie:

Have you had the vaccine?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending