The Student Room Group

Economics AS-Level AQA (Bad Marking?)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by XcitingStuart
Wow, I sense the passion (burning, dark passion) there. You should perhaps debate it with the exam board. xD (Just saying I never took economics, but) that would be too enjoyable to watch.

I don't even need the grade, I got into my uni.

Well, I get a bursary of 1k a year if I get an A* in economics.

****ing AQA
Original post by cacra
x

Y'know, I have tried to rate you three times in the past hour or two, and I'm really generally quite reserved in doing that.

So well done. :smile:

I loved the way you have expressed yourself in this thread, mainly in this post, despite me not knowing whether you're actually right or wrong. You have (an admirable) conviction on top of that.
Original post by cacra
Cardiff, although I'm considering an adjustment offer from Exeter, thankfully I got ~full UMS last year or else I would be absolutely screwed.

The Chinese economic model is pretty Keynesian and orthodox (post Mao of course!) I always considered the A Level syllabus to be bias towards state capitalism but I suppose it depends how extreme you take it.

As a pretty fundamental Austrian who despises government intervention in almost every form, you can see why I don't get along with the typical examiner.

(offtopic)

I am pretty utterly sure that the Chinese economic model was far off from the Western Keynesian model. And either way, the Keynesian economic model has already fallen off in the West; it is not what it was supposed to be. Trust me, I'm pretty sure British teachers really aren't too statist. And even in terms of Keymesian economics not being efficient, they did allow the US to establish the petrodollar and completely dominate the world economy with ease. Keynes was also the one that advocated for a sort of world currency, but he was forced into making it all far more in the favor of the US (thus the issues we, and the US, are facing today, as the US has been in deficit for far too many years without a world surplus recycling mechanism). Furthermore, only with complete disregard to history you can argue for unfettered capitalism (which I suppose you are not), and with modern money mechanics is the only way a modern economy can work in today's world (which was pretty much advocated by Keynes as well).

All in all, what you might think of Keynesian economics is no longer (or never was) what it was meant to be in the West, while the Chinese economic system is most certainly one that Westerners are not in favor of due to their craze with privatization. And again, unfettered capitalism is far too destructive for it to be viable.
(edited 8 years ago)
But yeah, is there a way to contact AQA and inquire as to why 'so many' people might have done terribly wrong as opposed to what they were predicted, compared to last year?
Original post by Turbo1
For ECON 1 it was the change in paper style that they wrote in - usually the examine a specific market but they chose not to

But what about the people that found the exam really quite OK and still ended up with an abysmal mark?
Original post by Turbo1
no idea, i found the paper horrible, exam horrible and my mark horrible.

Eh, you can still simply resit it, or try an international exam board; the British one really seems far too half-assed.
Reply 46
Unit 1:100
Unit 2: 97
Unit 3:77
Unit 4:77

Maybe I deserved the B in unit 4 but i thought i did way better in unit 3 :///// I think it's fair to say marking was significantly harsher this year?
Original post by cacra
You getting it remarked?

Iv'e already accepted an offer from Essex to study economics....bye bye RG........
Original post by KnoVolt
I got a B in ECON3, but in ECON4 I got a super unexpected D. I was a solid B student in ECON throughout the year. Hopefully priority remarks changes this.

A2 marking was very harsh this year I feel......
Original post by Marty728678
Iv'e already accepted an offer from Essex to study economics....bye bye RG........

what was your offer for out of interest(like your grades)
Original post by Turbo1
what did you end up getting on unit 1?

I ended up getting 72 UMS which is 54/75 which is lower than I was getting throughout the entire year
Reply 51
Original post by Marty728678

I'd rather go to Essex than a RG like QMUL.
Reply 52
How did everyone's remarks go?
Reply 53
Original post by DHandZ
Hi Toby

Hello

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending