The Student Room Group

Nutrition and Dietetics applicants 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FutureDietitian
Congratulations! Which is your first choice? And what questions did they ask you at Surrey?

To be honest I'm really shocked, I did not expect to get Surrey or QMU at all, they were the two I wanted though. I'm finding it really hard to pick between the two, Surrey's requirements are so so high
Original post by Leils21
When was your Chester interview? I'm still waiting to hear too.

About 5 weeks ago I'd say, I heard back today, I got rejected but got offered Nutrition :frown:
Those with an offer from Surrey, how long did it take for the 'pending' status to change on the student applicant portal? Thanks :smile:
[QUOTE="Serotonin88;63586265"]Those with an offer from Surrey, how long did it take for the 'pending' status to change on the student applicant portal? Thanks :smile:[/QUOTE

1-2 days if i remember correctly
[QUOTE="thisislola1997;63586495"]
Original post by Serotonin88
Those with an offer from Surrey, how long did it take for the 'pending' status to change on the student applicant portal? Thanks :smile:[/QUOTE

1-2 days if i remember correctly

Great, thanks :smile:

Anyone else having trouble applying for Surrey Accommodation? I keep getting 'no student record available, please try later...', and it doesn't seem to be working :/
Original post by Vindictivee
To be honest I'm really shocked, I did not expect to get Surrey or QMU at all, they were the two I wanted though. I'm finding it really hard to pick between the two, Surrey's requirements are so so high

My advice would definitely be Surrey. Surrey is very respected in the nutrition science community, whereas QMU is generally regarded as the easiest dietetics course in the country. So it may not carry the skills and expertise you may need if you are planning on getting a masters in advanced dietetics practise after you graduate. Surrey is home to Government researchers, and of course, Dr D Joseph Millward, the worlds leading expert on protein.
Reply 586
My advice would definitely be Surrey. Surrey is very respected in the nutrition science community, whereas QMU is generally regarded as the easiest dietetics course in the country. So it may not carry the skills and expertise you may need if you are planning on getting a masters in advanced dietetics practise after you graduate. Surrey is home to Government researchers, and of course, Dr D Joseph Millward, the worlds leading expert on protein.

I currently have a offers from Hertfordshire uni and Coventry and wounded how these course is seen in nutrition community if u have any knowledge on that? I am still waiting on Notts but not confident I will receive a offer from them. All the courses are nutrition and dietetics.

Thanks for any advice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Abzlou
I currently have a offers from Hertfordshire uni and Coventry and wounded how these course is seen in nutrition community if u have any knowledge on that? I am still waiting on Notts but not confident I will receive a offer from them. All the courses are nutrition and dietetics.

Thanks for any advice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi

Coventry is generally considered better than Hertfordshire but if you get accepted to Nottingham then go for that instead. I think Coventry is in the top 5. As is Notts and with Notts you get the masters title which is a bonus.
Reply 588
Hi

Coventry is generally considered better than Hertfordshire but if you get accepted to Nottingham then go for that instead. I think Coventry is in the top 5. As is Notts and with Notts you get the masters title which is a bonus.

Where does chester rank in terms of the standard of courses..? Thanks!!
Hi

Notts is 3rd and Coventry is forth on the Complete University Guide http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/courses/search?s=Dietetics
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Kmrw
Where does chester rank in terms of the standard of courses..? Thanks!!

Chester is honestly not the best. It has low requirements and it is run by the home Eco department rather than science. From what I have heard, it is quite outdated and does not get many 1st degrees.
Original post by thisislola1997
Notts is 3rd and Coventry is forth on the Complete University Guide http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/courses/search?s=Dietetics

Yes so either would be fine.
[QUOTE="thisislola1997;63573937"]
Original post by KatieAlicexxx
Dietetics has always been a long shot, especially this year is probably the last with NHS funding available. Stay positive and do take a look in UCAS extra and keep your options open. Since the course will not be funded next year, taking the 'Nutrition' option might also be worth it . Good luck Katiealice, pls share good news xx

And just a few days later I have an offer for Surrey!! I'm so happy!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
[QUOTE="KatieAlicexxx;63611207"]
Original post by thisislola1997

And just a few days later I have an offer for Surrey!! I'm so happy!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
yeah yeah :smile: well deserved !xx
Reply 594
I'm not sure what to do. My mental health problems have got considerably worse this year leading to me being admitted to hospital twice meaning I have missed tons of college and my predicted grade for chemistry is low (luckily I'm a third year student and managed to scrape a AAB in food tech, biology and applied science already), so I was considering not going to uni this year and waiting a year to stabilise myself.

However if I get an offer from Surrey (my favourite choice) then I don't know whether to go for it seeing as it will be the last year of NHS funding. That's the main thing stopping me wanting to do a gap year because obviously I would be better off in the future without a huge student loan. I guess I'll wait and see, if I get an offer then I'll see how my mental health goes in the next several months. Plus I really feel excited for university, I'm already a year behind in terms of my friends who all just did the usual 2 years at college so the excitement keeps building up and I've even started buying a few things for my dorm room, but I know there is no point going yet if I'm just going to have a mental breakdown and have to drop out or something.
Original post by RDtobe
I'm not sure what to do. My mental health problems have got considerably worse this year leading to me being admitted to hospital twice meaning I have missed tons of college and my predicted grade for chemistry is low (luckily I'm a third year student and managed to scrape a AAB in food tech, biology and applied science already), so I was considering not going to uni this year and waiting a year to stabilise myself.

However if I get an offer from Surrey (my favourite choice) then I don't know whether to go for it seeing as it will be the last year of NHS funding. That's the main thing stopping me wanting to do a gap year because obviously I would be better off in the future without a huge student loan. I guess I'll wait and see, if I get an offer then I'll see how my mental health goes in the next several months. Plus I really feel excited for university, I'm already a year behind in terms of my friends who all just did the usual 2 years at college so the excitement keeps building up and I've even started buying a few things for my dorm room, but I know there is no point going yet if I'm just going to have a mental breakdown and have to drop out or something.

You have to go. You answered your own question. First year isn't that challenging anyway.
Original post by RDtobe

Don't worry about things that haven't happened yet. Wait until you have heard from your choices then decide. Until then ignore the what ifs in your head.
I can't decide between Dietetics at university of Ulster or Nutrition + Dietetics at university of Chester..
I'm from NI so Ulster would be the handiest, but Chester do 3 placements while Ulster only do 1... and perhaps Chester would be more interesting as there is more of a focus on nutrition?
Anyone know where would be better? 😩
Original post by RDtobe

I think at the moment you should make Surrey your firm and see how you are in the summer. What you have to remember is that if you need to take a gap year and so start the course when the funding has been cut, it is not that big an issue because even this year you're still going to have a loan to pay off if you take the £2400 maintenance loan student finance gives you and over the four years that will be something like £9000 which is still going to take a lot of years to pay off especially as the starting salary of a dietitian is around £21500. Overall, what you have to consider is that nothing is more important than your health and if you need to take a gap year, take it and don't worry about things like student loans.
Original post by senpaipoppy
I think at the moment you should make Surrey your firm and see how you are in the summer. What you have to remember is that if you need to take a gap year and so start the course when the funding has been cut, it is not that big an issue because even this year you're still going to have a loan to pay off if you take the £2400 maintenance loan student finance gives you and over the four years that will be something like £9000 which is still going to take a lot of years to pay off especially as the starting salary of a dietitian is around £21500. Overall, what you have to consider is that nothing is more important than your health and if you need to take a gap year, take it and don't worry about things like student loans.

I would rather have a 9,000 debt than a 40,000+ debt if IbLeft it to next year.

Quick Reply

Latest