The Student Room Group

Can I go to uni with these AS grades?

Basically I got BCC but I'm 2UMS of a B so it could go to BBC. Is university possible? Also what predicted grades would I be likely to get?
Reply 1
Original post by JazzyT17
Basically I got BCC but I'm 2UMS of a B so it could go to BBC. Is university possible? Also what predicted grades would I be likely to get?

I don't think many universities look at AS grades tbh. Predicted grades are usually the focus when applying. Your grades are alright :smile:.

You may be predicted BBB/ABB/AAB- depends on how well your teachers think you will do

Yes of course you can! What degree are you thinking of? Plenty of unis ask for grade Bs.

At my school we'd predict BBC but you need to talk to your teachers. There is no point in high predictions you won't make.
Reply 3
Bump
Easily, just need to get good predictions and then knuckle down and achieve them. If russel group is what you're aiming at they should be very achievable.
Reply 5
i got the same as you in as , i got a*a*b and im going to kcl. if you get predicted abb , you should be able to apply to most of the top unis
Reply 6
Original post by puffhi
i got the same as you in as , i got a*a*b and im going to kcl. if you get predicted abb , you should be able to apply to most of the top unis

Wow, well done!! Did you retake any units and also if you don't mind me asking what were your predicted grades when you applied?
Reply 7
Bump
Reply 8
Wow, well done!! Did you retake any units and also if you don't mind me asking what were your predicted grades when you applied?

my teachers predicted me ABB , however the universities i applied for offered me AAB .I repeated unit 1 biology , unit 1 chemistry and unit 1&2 economics .However i didn't really revise for these until the last month (its easy to do well in as' when your doing A2s , as its all connected ).BTW don't worry , universities don't look at AS grades.

what subjects did you take if you don't mind me asking ?
Reply 9
Original post by Muttley79
Yes of course you can! What degree are you thinking of? Plenty of unis ask for grade Bs.

At my school we'd predict BBC but you need to talk to your teachers. There is no point in high predictions you won't make.

Your school dont predict a grade higher?
Original post by puffhi
my teachers predicted me ABB , however the universities i applied for offered me AAB .I repeated unit 1 biology , unit 1 chemistry and unit 1&2 economics .However i didn't really revise for these until the last month (its easy to do well in as' when your doing A2s , as its all connected ).BTW don't worry , universities don't look at AS grades.

what subjects did you take if you don't mind me asking ?

English literature, business studies and modern history. Also don't universities look at as grades?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 11
English literature, business studies and modern history wbu? :smile:

Biology Economics and Chemistry .
Someone in my year went from a C to a A* in business studies , so its definitely possible
Original post by SCAR H
Your school dont predict a grade higher?

No, A2s are harder so if you don't get a grade at AS you are unlikely to do better! We would go up a grade if you are a few UMS below. If you've seen the research then you'll know many teachers over predict - what's the point?

We're very accurate and unis do know that. Schools that over-predict are well-know to uni departments!
What's your desired course and uni to study it in? You could study the same course a top uni offers in a mid range uni if your grades don't satisfy the top unis.
Original post by jackien1
What's your desired course and uni to study it in? You could study the same course a top uni offers in a mid range uni if your grades don't satisfy the top unis.

I want to do law at Southampton.
Reply 15
Original post by Muttley79
No, A2s are harder so if you don't get a grade at AS you are unlikely to do better! We would go up a grade if you are a few UMS below. If you've seen the research then you'll know many teachers over predict - what's the point?

We're very accurate and unis do know that. Schools that over-predict are well-know to uni departments!

Well Muttley79 and the others behind this reasoning, i think youre deluded. Able students generally do and perform better. It's like saying an A at AS cannot become an A* at A2 when even theoretically a C at AS can become an A* at A2.

Muttley79, were you referring to achieving a grade higher WITHOUT resits? Resittiing C1 C2 whilst doing C3 C4 pretty much guarantes you'll do well at AS..
Original post by SCAR H
Well Muttley79 and the others behind this reasoning, i think youre deluded. Able students generally do and perform better. It's like saying an A at AS cannot become an A* at A2 when even theoretically a C at AS can become an A* at A2.

Muttley79, were you referring to achieving a grade higher WITHOUT resits? Resittiing C1 C2 whilst doing C3 C4 pretty much guarantes you'll do well at AS..

Doing well the first time is easier in my experience! Why would you resit C1 and C2 if you've already got 90+ UMS??? We make sure people take the AS exams seriously .. no resits is MUCH easier.

There's lots of research that has proved that resits don't always improve your grade - especially now you can't do them in January of Year 13.
I want to do law at Southampton.

Hmmmm, the typical offer is AAA though. (the AAB is more for students with extenuating circumstances. I read on another thread that in grade ranges, the lower grades are for people who are disabled or have extenuating circumstances. I'm assuming you fit in none of those categories.)

Usually, predictions more than 1 grade above your AS levels aren't taken to be accurate or possible.
Of course, there have been cases where someone with horrid AS grades did brilliantly overall in their A levels but that would be a minority.

Of course, you could apply and hope for a conditional offer and do really well in your A2s and get into Southampton.
Original post by jackien1
Hmmmm, the typical offer is AAA though. (the AAB is more for students with extenuating circumstances. I read on another thread that in grade ranges, the lower grades are for people who are disabled or have extenuating circumstances. I'm assuming you fit in none of those categories.)

Usually, predictions more than 1 grade above your AS levels aren't taken to be accurate or possible.
Of course, there have been cases where someone with horrid AS grades did brilliantly overall in their A levels but that would be a minority.

Of course, you could apply and hope for a conditional offer and do really well in your A2s and get into Southampton.

I did have some ill health this year due to which I missed about 3 weeks of college. Do you think it would be realistic to get an offer?
I did have some ill health this year due to which I missed about 3 weeks of college. Do you think it would be realistic to get an offer?

Well........ 3 weeks of college isn't a huge thing but it never hurts to try. Though, keep in mind that for every law place Southampton has open, they get 7 applicants per place. Do those 6 other people you have to beat have better or worse results than you? Who knows.

Quick Reply

Latest