The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Cambridge 2016 Postgraduate Entry

Scroll to see replies

Hi, did anyone receive an update from the MPhil ISO(Innovation, Strategy, and Organization) programme? I had my interview on Jan 5th and it went pretty well and they told me I should expect a reply in about 2-4 weeks but still nothing (Status still shows "under department consideration". Any advice?
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Original post by Phate18
I think it's implied. I find it strange that they've shortlisted you without making an offer first!

Did you apply particularly late, perhaps?

Regarding an implication of any offers made. I had an interview on 22th January for neuroscience. I was not necessarily satisfied with the interview and my performance (I am sport science student and was asked a lot of questions from biochemistry and neurophysiology, so it was challenging), yet at the end of the interview the professor ascertained that I applied for Gates Scholarship and said that it takes time to assess it.Would that implicate sth or not?

Thank you :x
Reply 1582
Original post by _Sunday_
Is anyone here going for MPhil in linguistics? I just had my skype interview today, although it was a little weird as it lasted under 10 minutes (it was planned that way but still seemed like we didnt really have time to talk about anything). They told me I was shortlisted for AHRC. Does this mean there is a good chance that I get in, even if I don't get the grant? Getting really nervous now :frown:

Original post by Phate18
I think it's implied. I find it strange that they've shortlisted you without making an offer first!

Agreed. If you're shortlisted for funding you're among the top applicants.
Reply 1583
Status changed to "awaiting decision by BoGS"
MPhil Archaeology (international applicant)

Last Reference Submitted: Nov. 30th
Awaiting consideration by Department: Dec 3rd
Awaiting Decision by BoGS: Feb. 9th
(My application was never listed as under consideration)

Any idea of how much time the BoGS phase is taking at the moment (I shouldn't have any language requirements)?
Original post by SRCMA
Status changed to "awaiting decision by BoGS"
MPhil Archaeology (international applicant)

Last Reference Submitted: Nov. 30th
Awaiting consideration by Department: Dec 3rd
Awaiting Decision by BoGS: Feb. 9th
(My application was never listed as under consideration)

Any idea of how much time the BoGS phase is taking at the moment (I shouldn't have any language requirements)?

2-3 working days, by the looks of it.
Does anyone know how competitive is trinity college and what criteria are they looking for? And how long is the wait:frown:
Original post by neverbegin
Does anyone know how competitive is trinity college and what criteria are they looking for? And how long is the wait:frown:

They're typically oversubscribed by something like 7:1. No idea how they handle that.
Original post by sj27
I worked in the sector a long time so I know plenty of real world people in it :wink: . Of course you need to perform well in interviews to get a job, but the Cambridge brand definitely opens a lot of doors - as do Oxford and LSE. You get people from all sorts of unis of course, but especially for newer graduates brand name helps a lot. But again - it helps to open a door to an interview, it's up to you to get further.

I got offers from MPhil in Finance at Cambridge and MSc(Research) in Finance and Economics at LSE and have been struggling in deciding which to accept. It might be weird if I say I would like to look for a job after graduation of a research-intensive master. But that is my plan. While Cambridge does have a good reputation overall, LSE has seemingly better faculties in both departments of Business and Economics. Have you got any suggestions that you think might be helpful? Or if you prefer, you might talk about graduate studies of LSE and Oxbridge.
Original post by Aceadria
What sj27 said is spot on. I used to work in Asset Management and the Oxbridge name helped a lot of people get noticed but it did little to help them get a job there (interview and likeability were far more important).

Just a side note, please don't underestimate the importance of networking (Linkedin, for example). Learn to meet people and build a strong network in and around finance. The Cambridge name will help, but with the hundreds of applicants for every job, brand name will only get you so far.

Sometimes, it is so sad that students might spend almost twenty years in schools and what they get is nothing more than an interview. Eventually, intrinsic abilities, social skills and even connections determine where people end with.
Original post by paninikaka
Sometimes, it is so sad that students might spend almost twenty years in schools and what they get is nothing more than an interview. Eventually, intrinsic abilities, social skills and even connections determine where people end with.

Well, I personally never used more than 0.1% of what I learned during my degree in the 'real world' (and believe me, my major was relevant). Academia is a major bubble that many are unable to escape, especially when they want to enter finance.
When the conditional offer has been made online how long does it take for the official email to come through? Its been almost a week now, and I still haven't received the email.
Original post by mayankmishra93
Hey! First of all, congratulations!

I applied for MPhil Finance on 23 December. Have been waiting since then. When did you apply? And can you please share your profile?

Sure :tongue:. Here is my application timeline:
_ Application submitted: 01/12/15.
_ Under consideration by department: 03/12/15
_ Application with Degree Committee: 01/02/16
_ Awaiting decision from BoGS: 02/02/16
_ Conditional offer: 04/02/16
B.A. joint major in Statistics and Economics from an Irish university, currently in my final year. In addition to the usual honours classification, my school converts every student's results into G.P.A. My G.P.A. at the time of application was 4.17/ 4.2. References are decent. I had no relevant internship and didn't bother to submit GRE score (took it later for LSE application).
Hope to hear good news from you soon.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by bobbypin
When the conditional offer has been made online how long does it take for the official email to come through? Its been almost a week now, and I still haven't received the email.

You've been made a conditional offer on the self-service? I did not receive any notification or e-mail; just had to check regularly.
Original post by Aceadria
You've been made a conditional offer on the self-service? I did not receive any notification or e-mail; just had to check regularly.

Yeah, got the conditional offer on self-service last week. But it says I cant accept the offer until I get the email, and still no email.
Reply 1594
Yeah, got the conditional offer on self-service last week. But it says I cant accept the offer until I get the email, and still no email.

I'm pretty sure you should get an email (I got one for all offers I have been made, i.e. MPhils, PhD). Maybe you should call Graduate Admission to check.

Edit: or does anyone know whether it could be a department-dependent thing again?
(edited 8 years ago)
Has anyone applied for the MPhil in classics and heard back yet?

I applied a few days ago. However, since my referees have not yet submitted the references, my application is still 'awaiting consideration.' Hopefully, my status will change soon.

Also, can anyone please clarify what to expect during the interview? Will they mainly go over my research proposal etc?

Best regards,
stuvetus

My status changed to "Conditional Offer Made" on camsis on January 21st and I got the email on January 26th. Hope that helps
Reply 1597
Just checked on self service and my status has changed to "Awaiting Decision by Board of Graduate Studies" for Ph.D. Law - I had my interview on Jan 25th and was told I was accepted but I didn't really want to believe it until I saw something on paper...! No word on funding and I am international so no funding = no Ph.D. What happens now?
Hi everyone, I've reached the BOGS stage for the Mast in Applied Maths. However I'm worried that my financial situation could be a problem. I indicated a fairly large shortfall in my funds and what was expected, but did show I was applying to quite a few scholarships, and could earn more due to work before the course starts. Has anybody else been in a similar situation and still got an offer? Thanks.
Reply 1599
Are there any MPhil Chemistry applicants out here? If so, have any received offers or interviews yet?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending