The Student Room Group

Applying to Study Law 2016

Scroll to see replies

Just got my invitation to interview for Emmanuel College, Cambridge :crazy:
I am going to send off my UCAS by the end of this week and I'm thinking of applying to KCL, LSE, Warwick, Exeter and Cardiff. I got AABC for AS and 9A*s 2As for GCSE. I don't think i did particularly well in my LNAT maybe average or just under average- which isn't good since my top choice is KCL. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions with unis I could apply to as back ups- alternative to the ones I chose maybe? I'm worried that I'm applying to the wrong unis that are out of my league since they do look at your AS grades a great deal.
Original post by felooboo
I am going to send off my UCAS by the end of this week and I'm thinking of applying to KCL, LSE, Warwick, Exeter and Cardiff. I got AABC for AS and 9A*s 2As for GCSE. I don't think i did particularly well in my LNAT maybe average or just under average- which isn't good since my top choice is KCL. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions with unis I could apply to as back ups- alternative to the ones I chose maybe? I'm worried that I'm applying to the wrong unis that are out of my league since they do look at your AS grades a great deal.

Maybe consider kent (AAB), reading (AAA) or liverpool (ABB)?
Although I think that Cardiff is a good enough back-up!

To be fair, Exeter seems like a good enough shout. My GCSE grades are much lower than yours, and my as grades were only 1 higher (AABB) and I got an Exeter offer today, so you're probably fine there. I also have offers from Kent and Reading, so those might be some options for you if you wanted?
Original post by chloetraynor
To be fair, Exeter seems like a good enough shout. My GCSE grades are much lower than yours, and my as grades were only 1 higher (AABB) and I got an Exeter offer today, so you're probably fine there. I also have offers from Kent and Reading, so those might be some options for you if you wanted?

Hey! Don't worry! I got an offer from Exeter (AAB) for Law today, and I got AABD and 6A* 5A Distinction!
Original post by Olax98
Hey! Don't worry! I got an offer from Exeter (AAB) for Law today, and I got AABD and 6A* 5A Distinction!

Congrats! Do you know why your offer would be lower? I got AABB at AS and my Exeter offer was AAA :redface:
Congrats! Do you know why your offer would be lower? I got AABB at AS and my Exeter offer was AAA :redface:

Well done! Their website states that offers for Law vary from AAB to AAA. They give them out according to the achievement of the candidate and their context. In my case, this is a pretty low achieving school :smile:. I think this is to help with their access provision.

Maybe have like 1/2 as back up, I got AS grades of ABBB and I've been given 3 offers (Sheffield, Southampton, Surrey) that are higher than grades I got and 1 (Liverpool) that's the same, but I guess it depends. Have you looked at Birmingham/York/maybe Nottingham?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sherds
I just got a thing from City University saying that they like me but they need confirmation that I understand that since I'm under 18 and will be at the time of my application, I will have certain restrictions placed one me. Most worryingly; I will need to reside with a london based guardian until I turn 18. I live in Toronto. Well ****. Anyone know if this is the case for other unis?

(I'm 16; 29/11/1998)

Hey,
I got very similar messages from UCL and Queen Mary (but I only got them once I'd confirmed them as my firm and insurance, not before getting offers - but this might be because I would only have been underage for the first two months of the course).
UCL's letter basically said I had some restrictions placed on me, and that I wasn't "their responsibility". QMUL said the same and also asked me to have a "nominated guardian" in the UK.
There was nothing about residing with the guardian though, so that might be specific to City Uni.

It seems to me that most universities have these policies for under-18 students, so you probably should try and find someone to be your nominated guardian.
Reply 789
Anyone going to the Southampton Law open day on 28th Nov?
Original post by NOP97

How did you find out about the law open day? I received an offer for law from Southampton on the 22nd October and they have sent me nothing.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by applying2skool
Hey,
I got very similar messages from UCL and Queen Mary (but I only got them once I'd confirmed them as my firm and insurance, not before getting offers - but this might be because I would only have been underage for the first two months of the course).
UCL's letter basically said I had some restrictions placed on me, and that I wasn't "their responsibility". QMUL said the same and also asked me to have a "nominated guardian" in the UK.
There was nothing about residing with the guardian though, so that might be specific to City Uni.
It seems to me that most universities have these policies for under-18 students, so you probably should try and find someone to be your nominated guardian.

Can I ask what your predicted grades were AS and gcse???
I got an offer from Warwick. Conditional AAA. V. happy now!
Original post by NOP97

Yes, I am :smile:

My offer was AAB too, I was shocked as I thought that was only extenuating circumstances
Original post by LydiaIsaacs
My offer was AAB too, I was shocked as I thought that was only extenuating circumstances

Congrats! I've never visited Exeter so I'm not sure if I should firm it? I'm very unlikely to get offers from Kings or Oxford, so out of the three offers I've had (Exeter, Kent and Reading), Exeter is the highest rated/ most respected, so logically I should firm it. Have you visited, and did you like it? I doubt I'll find the time/money to visit any of my options :O
Congrats! I've never visited Exeter so I'm not sure if I should firm it? I'm very unlikely to get offers from Kings or Oxford, so out of the three offers I've had (Exeter, Kent and Reading), Exeter is the highest rated/ most respected, so logically I should firm it. Have you visited, and did you like it? I doubt I'll find the time/money to visit any of my options :O

It was gorgeous (the campus that is), it is such a good university and the town is not too bad. It is my second choice. I would highly recommend firming it, but ultimately you need to be happy with your choices :smile:
Just got an offer from Warwick!!!
Got an offer from Warwick! It's my first offer after sending it on 30th September, so I'm very relieved:smile:
Just got a warwick offer! Got bristol yesterday and warwick today :biggrin: seems so surreal!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending