The Student Room Group

Should i spend £3000 on this engagement ring?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AccountingBabe
Can you afford the price?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes.
Original post by Anonymous
Sigh, what if she wants it?

Then she's mental. I swear most girls don't demand a 3k ring, just get something she thinks is nice, the cost shouldn't matter too much unless you're getting engaged to a nutter. 3k certainly isn't sensible for a student unless you're family's rich af.
Is it ethical? Is it sensible for a student?

Here is the ring

No, it's overpriced.

Any decent girl would know the cost of an engagement ring should be reasonable - you couldn't even wear this once you are married because of the shaping.

Anyone disappointed by a cheaper ring doesn't understand 'love'.
Yes.

Honestly, if that's the ring she wants then buy her it. I don't think it's unethical for a ring which symbolises your investment into marrying her and spending your life with her.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Muttley79
No, it's overpriced.

Any decent girl would know the cost of an engagement ring should be reasonable - you couldn't even wear this once you are married because of the shaping.

Anyone disappointed by a cheaper ring doesn't understand 'love'.

No you don't understand women....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AccountingBabe
No you don't understand women....

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am female and married!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 26
I don't think you should. The value you place on your relationship is in your heart and mind and your real love for that other person. It isn't expressed by the value of a piece of carbon.
what if she chose this 3000 ring

Then you can safely assume she has £1,500 to invest towards your joint purchase.
Yes.

She was referring to your dignity.
The (made up in the 30's) tradition was that approximately one month's salary is the amount you should spend on a ring .
Reply 30
[QUOTE=AccountingBabe;58979007]Honestly, if that's the ring she wants then buy her it. I don't think it's unethical for a ring which symbolises your investment into marrying her and spending your life with her.

Posted from TSR MobileAs long as they don't split up and it ends up in the river..
Original post by domonict
The (made up in the 30's) tradition was that approximately one month's salary is the amount you should spend on a ring .

lol...we humans are brainwashable sheep
Reply 32
If she says she won't get engaged or marry you if you don't get that ring or spend that much on the ring, then you should question if she is actually in love with you or not. When you are really in love it won't matter how much or little you spend, especially if there is thought behind it rather than simple cold hard cash.
Is it ethical? Is it sensible for a student?

Here is the ring

If your man, don't buy it for her, unless she pays half.
It's an ugly piece of tat from Amazon :erm: Do it properly and go to Tiffanys if you have cash to spend.
buy her a haribo ring with glued on glitter at the top.
£3000?!?! :eek:

Imagine all of the guinea pigs you could buy with that, and ur spending it on a ring?...... :s-smilie:

EDIT: i have done the maths:
you can buy 2 guinea pigs for £30 in most places (obs rescues are better :h: anyway...)

So:

£3000 / 30 = 100
X by 2 = 200 pigs

You can get 200 guinea pigs for the price of a single ring :eek:

In all seriousness tho that seems an insane amount to spend on such a thing. As your a student (well off or not) wouldnt you be better off using 3K to pay ur utility or food bills or you rent?
(edited 8 years ago)
Buy her Tiffany's...:love:

But really, don't spend so excessively on a ring, when you can buy something for a 1/10th of the price which will do the job and last just as long.
Original post by vis break
buy her a haribo ring with glued on glitter at the top.

Someone in my class proposed to me with a haribo ring once :colondollar:
I'd be happy with a Haribo ring if it was from the guy I loved... scratch that, diamonds are a girls best friend

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending