The Student Room Group

Gamsat 2016

I know the exam is over a year away but I was just wondering if anybody has started to prepare or has any advice!
I really don't know the best way to practice for it, though I am self teaching the basics of A-Level physics. Hopefully my chemistry and biology will be okay as I'm doing Natural Sciences at uni.
I'm applying for 2018 grad med entry (so far away).
Anybody in a similar boat?

Good luck to all those taking the 2015 GAMSAT! You'll ace it!
Reply 1
I'll be sitting in March hopefully. But right now, I don't think it's going to happen. I'm so behind on studying because my boss keeps putting me down for overtime without asking me so I'm doing more hours than I can handle.

I'm using A Level books. Bio and Chem are fine but I'm struggling with Physics. Khan Academy is also helping. What resources are you using?
Reply 3
Original post by paniking_and_not_revising
I'll be sitting in March hopefully. But right now, I don't think it's going to happen. I'm so behind on studying because my boss keeps putting me down for overtime without asking me so I'm doing more hours than I can handle.

I'm using A Level books. Bio and Chem are fine but I'm struggling with Physics. Khan Academy is also helping. What resources are you using?

Do you think a level Bio and Chem is sufficient? I'm wondering whether or not to revisit my A-Levels or use uni resources and focus on undergrad first year level for both.
I'm just learning Physics from an OCR textbook. At the moment it is okay but I've only focused on the mechanical side so I'm a little nervous about optics, electromagnetics etc.
Are you using Griffiths or Gold Standard? Debating whether or not to invest in one of them

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kendellex
Do you think a level Bio and Chem is sufficient? I'm wondering whether or not to revisit my A-Levels or use uni resources and focus on undergrad first year level for both.
I'm just learning Physics from an OCR textbook. At the moment it is okay but I've only focused on the mechanical side so I'm a little nervous about optics, electromagnetics etc.
Are you using Griffiths or Gold Standard? Debating whether or not to invest in one of them

Posted from TSR Mobile

Think A Level should be fine but I reckon it wouldn't hurt to look at some undergrad organic chemistry.

I have Gold Standard but think it's not that great for science tbh.
Reply 5
Think A Level should be fine but I reckon it wouldn't hurt to look at some undergrad organic chemistry.

I have Gold Standard but think it's not that great for science tbh.

I wish there was a specification I could follow 😂
For S1 and S2, I'm just reading different types of media. Trying to learn more about politics. I honestly wouldn't be able to write an essay on democracy right now. Might get Griffiths review as it is the cheapest of the two and see how I go with that

Posted from TSR Mobile
I wish there was a specification I could follow 😂
For S1 and S2, I'm just reading different types of media. Trying to learn more about politics. I honestly wouldn't be able to write an essay on democracy right now. Might get Griffiths review as it is the cheapest of the two and see how I go with that

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thankfully I studied Law so Section 1 and 2 shouldn't be too difficult for me. I have lots of jurisprudence books and philosophy stuff to read through.

I've printed off A Level specifications. But I'm mostly just reading through the A Level books and doing the example questions and stuff.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Thankfully I studied Law so Section 1 and 2 shouldn't be too difficult for me. I have lots of jurisprudence books and philosophy stuff to read through.

I've printed off A Level specifications. But I'm mostly just reading through the A Level books and doing the example questions and stuff.

You're lucky! S2 will be my downfall. I don't even know where to start. It just seems like they could ask you to write and essay on anything and the only thing I could argue is Northern Irish politics 😂😂
I'm hoping I can get classic books for free on my kindle and begin to read and somewhat analyse them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You're lucky! S2 will be my downfall. I don't even know where to start. It just seems like they could ask you to write and essay on anything and the only thing I could argue is Northern Irish politics 😂😂
I'm hoping I can get classic books for free on my kindle and begin to read and somewhat analyse them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not really. Law graduates tend to perform below average from what I've heard on the science section. I read this study a week ago about degree subjects and GAMSAT scores.

My Mum bought me a classics novel collection when I was a kid and the entire thing is collecting dust on my shelf so I might read through a couple.

For Section 1, I have an MCAT verbal reasoning book and I'm going to try and read through my Law textbooks to practice my reading speed and comprehension.

For Section 2, I'll probably read through some of my Legal philosophy notes and get an A Level philosophy book to read through.

I would get some second hand books from Amazon and highlight them and annotate them and stuff.
Reply 9
Not really. Law graduates tend to perform below average from what I've heard on the science section. I read this study a week ago about degree subjects and GAMSAT scores.

My Mum bought me a classics novel collection when I was a kid and the entire thing is collecting dust on my shelf so I might read through a couple.

For Section 1, I have an MCAT verbal reasoning book and I'm going to try and read through my Law textbooks to practice my reading speed and comprehension.

For Section 2, I'll probably read through some of my Legal philosophy notes and get an A Level philosophy book to read through.

I would get some second hand books from Amazon and highlight them and annotate them and stuff.

Oh really? I thought you would have had a stronger background for S2!

I'm also thinking of getting a MCAT book as I heard it can be useful.

I never thought of getting philosophy books. Thanks for the suggestion! Hopefully can get a few cheap ones (got my physics ones of Amazon for £3 each including P&p).

Do you have a kindle? You can borrow books of your local library for free on it😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh really? I thought you would have had a stronger background for S2!

I'm also thinking of getting a MCAT book as I heard it can be useful.

I never thought of getting philosophy books. Thanks for the suggestion! Hopefully can get a few cheap ones (got my physics ones of Amazon for £3 each including P&p).

Do you have a kindle? You can borrow books of your local library for free on it😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think the study said Law grads score highly in S1 and S2 but below average in S3. I'm trying to find it right now.

I'm using the ExamKracker books.

I spent like £100 on books. Bad habit from Law School lol!

No I don't but I like having physical books I can scribble in. I have an IPad though
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4351698/

Here it is!

law (0.9%) : very high in Sections 1 and 2, below average in Section 3, and above average overall;
Reply 12
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4351698/

Here it is!

law (0.9%) : very high in Sections 1 and 2, below average in Section 3, and above average overall;

Oh interesting read!
Definitely reinforces that my weak part will be S2

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending