The Student Room Group

College won't let students resit GCSE maths again what can I do

I need C but i got a D and i know i can get a c but the college are not planning to have resit this year what can i do help i live in the uk and did AQA GCSE maths
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Student 097
I need C but i got a D and i know i can get a c but the college are not planning to have resit this year what can i do help i live in the uk and did AQA GCSE maths

Well they are insane then as they won't get any funding unless your programme includes a GCSE maths resit.

Your old school might let you resit as an external candidate.

You should enquire about sitting a repeat at anouthet institute (e.g. if a different school near you is doing that resist, ask if you may sit your resist there). You can put yourself in for a resist without the school doing it for you, as long as you have a place to sit it.

it's the law... They have to let you resit if you're 16-18 without a GCSE maths or english at a C.
Original post by Midnightmemories
it's the law... They have to let you resit if you're 16-18 without a GCSE maths or english at a C.

No it isn't and no they don't. However, they are cutting their nose off to spite their face as they will lose all funding for the OP.
Original post by Mr M
No it isn't and no they don't. However, they are cutting their nose off to spite their face as they will lose all funding for the OP.

It is the law actually. All 16 to 18 years old have to retake their GCSE Maths or English if they have lower than a C. My younger brother went to college last September to do OCR Cambridge Level 2 IT with a C in Maths and D in English and he had no choice but to retake it. He's having to do another retake this year as most of the GCSE English retake students failed the exams.

OP: Which college are you at?
All the colleges in the UK that I know of, do allow you to retake the GCSE even before the 'have to do it to get a C' came in. I know that the college that me and my brother went/goes to split people up on their courses into classes that went four routes: No GCSE retake needed; English retake; Maths retake and English/Maths retake. Your college is absolutely nuts not having retakes since it means more funding for them.
Original post by Cblivall93l
It is the law actually. All 16 to 18 years old have to retake their GCSE Maths or English if they have lower than a C. My younger brother went to college last September to do OCR Cambridge Level 2 IT with a C in Maths and D in English and he had no choice but to retake it. He's having to do another retake this year as most of the GCSE English retake students failed the exams.

OP: Which college are you at?
All the colleges in the UK that I know of, do allow you to retake the GCSE even before the 'have to do it to get a C' came in. I know that the college that me and my brother went/goes to split people up on their courses into classes that went four routes: No GCSE retake needed; English retake; Maths retake and English/Maths retake. Your college is absolutely nuts not having retakes since it means more funding for them.

lmao getting a pass grade in gcse maths isn't a law, if you want to progress to a course/job that doesn't need maths (although most do) you wouldn't even need to sit it
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Cblivall93l
It is the law actually.

I've corrected this misconception already. I wouldn't have done so unless I was sure of my facts.
Reply 8
Im 19 and i go to hopwood hall college

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending