The Student Room Group

Can't survive gcses

So, my end of year 10 mocks predicted that I will get all A*s in my GCSEs, which I am on track to get APART FROM ONE THING
I'm self teaching the further maths AQA GCSE course to myself (I have barely started - should've started in Summer, completely underestimated the how much work year 11 would be - all the controlled assessments and revision have hit me like a truck)
I was going to get a tutor for further maths but found nothing in my area (I'm not willing to travel very far because of how much school work I have) and I might get tutoring via Skype but I think it'll be too little too late
In theory, I want to do the further maths GCSE next year but I really don't know if I'll be able to do it especially with my mocks in less than 3 months.
I feel like if I want to do well in further maths at the mocks, I'd be jeopardising my other subjects (I really want to do well in my mocks)
What should I do?
NB: I'm considering doing Further Maths A Level, but I think I'd still be able to do it with some catch up lessons even if I didn't do further maths
I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO DO
Would I be able to self teach myself the majority of the further maths course, and manage to study effectively for all my other subjects by the second week of december? Any advice???
Thanks in advance
There is little point in doing further maths at GCSE, maybe if you want an extra GCSE. I didn't do it and I'm finding maths and FM fine at AS.
Reply 2
If you still want to do FM I can help you with questions if you like - I got a high grade. It's not really that important though so if it's too much hassle I would drop it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cherryvizz
So, my end of year 10 mocks predicted that I will get all A*s in my GCSEs, which I am on track to get APART FROM ONE THING
I'm self teaching the further maths AQA GCSE course to myself (I have barely started - should've started in Summer, completely underestimated the how much work year 11 would be - all the controlled assessments and revision have hit me like a truck)
I was going to get a tutor for further maths but found nothing in my area (I'm not willing to travel very far because of how much school work I have) and I might get tutoring via Skype but I think it'll be too little too late
In theory, I want to do the further maths GCSE next year but I really don't know if I'll be able to do it especially with my mocks in less than 3 months.
I feel like if I want to do well in further maths at the mocks, I'd be jeopardising my other subjects (I really want to do well in my mocks)
What should I do?
NB: I'm considering doing Further Maths A Level, but I think I'd still be able to do it with some catch up lessons even if I didn't do further maths
I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO DO
Would I be able to self teach myself the majority of the further maths course, and manage to study effectively for all my other subjects by the second week of december? Any advice???
Thanks in advance

I had a 1 week notice for a maths mock which was preparing me for my maths GCSE which was 3 months later, I was not aware of this. I also had other mocks and I focused on doing 2 hours of maths a day when one month was left while doing an hour or so extra for other subjects. I had the option of doing Further Maths GCSE or A Level Maths this year. However, both options would mean doing an exam which is not what I wanted. I decided to teach myself A-Level and not do any exams! Yay! However, I'm not you and I don't want to do further maths a-level. If you want to take it for A-Level then take it for GCSE. You can do it, don't doubt yourself. Anything is possible it just depends on how bad you want it.
Good Luck

Quick Reply

Latest