The Student Room Group

My GCSE grades going to let me down?

Hi I want to get into dentristry my GCSE grades are:
Maths - A
Biology - A
Physics - A
Chemistry - B
ICT - B ( getting this remarked its 1 UMS off an A )
Geography - B
RS - B
Citizenship - B
English lang & lit - C in both ( but I am remarking them and if needed retaking for a B)
French - C
DT Resistant Materials - C

Also with my A-levels which I just started I am aiming for an
A* in Maths
A Further maths
A* Biology
A Chemistry

:smile: Will these grades be alright for getting into dentistry?
As well as this I have been doing different work experiences and will be starting more soon at dental practices I am a current waiter at a restaurant to build my confidence!
Thank you please reply :/
Reply 1
Original post by RoadtoSuccess
Hi I want to get into dentristry my GCSE grades are:
Maths - A
Biology - A
Physics - A
Chemistry - B
ICT - B ( getting this remarked its 1 UMS off an A )
Geography - B
RS - B
Citizenship - B
English lang & lit - C in both ( but I am remarking them and if needed retaking for a B)
French - C
DT Resistant Materials - C

Also with my A-levels which I just started I am aiming for an
A* in Maths
A Further maths
A* Biology
A Chemistry

:smile: Will these grades be alright for getting into dentistry?
As well as this I have been doing different work experiences and will be starting more soon at dental practices I am a current waiter at a restaurant to build my confidence!
Thank you please reply :/

Looking at successful applicants on TSR (and the internet in general) the majority do have very good GCSEs (straight A*s/As). But your grades are not bad and if you apply to university which doesn't really place much importance on them, I'm sure you'll have a chance.

I would recommend retaking your English Language though. And obviously working extremely hard in AS - getting very strong UMS marks will help make up for your below-average (in the context of successful dentistry applicants, nationally they are very good) results.

Good luck and work hard!

Sidenote -
Your grade aims are definitely achievable and if you work hard you'll get them, however I'm thinking your Maths and Further Maths grades as perhaps a little too hopeful?
Those A Level grades are easier said than done! However if you achieved that Im sure you will be a strong candidate for your desired course. Just to give you an idea out of my A2 Maths class of 5, at GCSE 3 of us got A*s and the other 2 got As. At AS the people who got A*s at gcse got A-B grade (including me) and the other two that got As got Ds. Just putting this into context that Maths is a hard subject and not to be taken lightly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ben4
Those A Level grades are easier said than done! However if you achieved that Im sure you will be a strong candidate for your desired course. Just to give you an idea out of my A2 Maths class of 5, at GCSE 3 of us got A*s and the other 2 got As. At AS the people who got A*s at gcse got A-B grade (including me) and the other two that got As got Ds. Just putting this into context that Maths is a hard subject and not to be taken lightly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I do realise how hard it can be lol.. I'm 1 mark off an A* so that obviously means I'm not a poor student in maths. As well as that I'm very dedicated now to my education more than I've ever been I will get the grades I'm aiming for even if it saps all my energy per day I will make it happen.
Original post by jamestg
Looking at successful applicants on TSR (and the internet in general) the majority do have very good GCSEs (straight A*s/As). But your grades are not bad and if you apply to university which doesn't really place much importance on them, I'm sure you'll have a chance.

I would recommend retaking your English Language though. And obviously working extremely hard in AS - getting very strong UMS marks will help make up for your below-average (in the context of successful dentistry applicants, nationally they are very good) results.

Good luck and work hard!

Sidenote -
Your grade aims are definitely achievable and if you work hard you'll get them, however I'm thinking your Maths and Further Maths grades as perhaps a little too hopeful?

I know what you mean by maths and further maths but I will put the effort in and ask in lessons if I am stuck. Thank you I appreciate it!

Quick Reply

Latest