The Student Room Group

Applying for Computer Science

Hello!

I'm currently on my gap year and am looking to study computer science next year (possibly with gaming or Spanish - big difference, I'm aware).
In my A-levels I achieved a B in Maths, a C in Physics and a D in Chemistry, so this limits my options by a fairly large amount.
I was wondering if any of you had any suggestions for good Universities within the United Kingdom or even abroad? I'm looking for somewhere that has potentially good connections with other areas of the world but also a lively social focus (I like my pubs and parties).
Any suggestions are much appreciated, especially if people have past experience themselves :biggrin:

Thank you everyone! :smile:
Original post by Clips
Hello!

I'm currently on my gap year and am looking to study computer science next year (possibly with gaming or Spanish - big difference, I'm aware).
In my A-levels I achieved a B in Maths, a C in Physics and a D in Chemistry, so this limits my options by a fairly large amount.
I was wondering if any of you had any suggestions for good Universities within the United Kingdom or even abroad? I'm looking for somewhere that has potentially good connections with other areas of the world but also a lively social focus (I like my pubs and parties).
Any suggestions are much appreciated, especially if people have past experience themselves :biggrin:

If you are pretty good in english apply to the US(write your SAT) otherwise have you considered UToronto. Its one of the best in Canada. I wouldnt suggest McGill because their entry requirements are above your Grades. Hope all goes well !(And sorry i have no experience but ive researched quite alot on intl education,btw im an intl applicant)
Reply 2
Original post by Clips
Hello!

BCD = 240 ucas pts

salford ask for 280 - 300 ucas pts (& i know they have links with american unis, idk about comp sci dept though)
bangor ask for 240-300 ucas points for computer science
LJMU ask for 220 ucas pts
UCLAN ask for 280 pts
derby ask for 260 pts
MMU ask for 260-280

i'm sure there are more, you can use this table to get ideas of who to apply for. you might also want to consider courses with a foundation year?

bear in mind, if you decide to study abroad you won't get student finance. and tuition fees in america are very expensive. i'd personally recommend doing a course in the UK that has the opportunity for an exchange year if you really want to travel (unless you have a lot of ££).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending