The Student Room Group

Entry requirements

Can I study denistry in university after my course in BTEC applied (medical science) - btec level 3 extended diploma? My predicted grades are set at a merit but i'm hoping to attain a distinction. If I can't study denistry with this alone, should I go on to study A-level biology next year? I really want to study denistry but it would mean that I'll have to study an extra year in college.
Reply 1
Original post by hnan2
Can I study denistry in university after my course in BTEC applied (medical science) - btec level 3 extended diploma? My predicted grades are set at a merit but i'm hoping to attain a distinction. If I can't study denistry with this alone, should I go on to study A-level biology next year? I really want to study denistry but it would mean that I'll have to study an extra year in college.

You're best bet is to ring the universities my friend. I could be wrong but i don't think any dental unis will accept a BTEC qualification for a 5 year course (as far as i know).
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Kartace
You're best bet is to ring the universities my friend. No dental uni will accept a BTEC qualification though (as far as i know).

I don't see why not though. It's equivalent to 3 A-levels. I've just sent a university an email, thanks.
Reply 3
Equatable but not equivalent to unfortunately in the eyes of dental admissions dept. I know that Barts have never accepted BTECs. Why were you not originally taking A levels?

The following is an excerpt from the QMUL admissions requirements:

Qualifications we do not accept

We do not accept vocational or applied A-levels, the BTEC Level 3 Diploma (120 credits), the BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma (180 credits), the Access to HE Diploma or the Advanced Diploma.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Kartace
Equatable but not equivalent to unfortunately in the eyes of dental admissions dept. I know that Barts have never accepted BTECs. Why were you not originally taking A levels?

The following is an excerpt from the QMUL admissions requirements:

Qualifications we do not accept

We do not accept vocational or applied A-levels, the BTEC Level 3 Diploma (120 credits), the BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma (180 credits), the Access to HE Diploma or the Advanced Diploma.

What if i was to do A-level biology next year on top of this BTEC? I couldn't get onto the course because I failed my english, and that was because I injured my knee so i couldnt attend much lessons. I got two B's for core and additional science, but only a C in maths so this year in resitting english and maths.
Reply 5
Original post by hnan2

You can get into Dentistry with BTEC, don't listen to the people who say no uni accepts for it, have a read of the following course pages, you can get into very good universities for dentistry with BTEC Applied Science including Bristol (15th ranked overall, 11th for Dentistry), Cardiff (2nd for Dentistry in the UK and ranked 31st overall) and Sheffield (Not the best for Dentistry but still an amazing uni, ranked 27th in UK overall, 13th for Dentistry), all are Russell Group universities too.

Have a look at BDS Dentistry (6 years) inc. preliminary/foundation year, prestigious universities like Bristol and Cardiff accept with grades of DDM and DDD respectively for the Applied Science or Applied Science (Medical) Level 3 BTEC Extended Diploma.

If you dont want to do a Foundation year consider University of Sheffield who require D*DD for their 5 year BDS Dentistry programme, they will require you to take a certain amount of Biology and Chemistry based modules in your BTEC to meet the requirements, which I assume you will as you are taking the Medical Pathway.

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by yt7777
You can get into Dentistry with BTEC, don't listen to the people who say no uni accepts for it, have a read of the following course pages, you can get into very good universities for dentistry with BTEC Applied Science including Bristol (15th ranked overall, 11th for Dentistry), Cardiff (2nd for Dentistry in the UK and ranked 31st overall) and Sheffield (Not the best for Dentistry but still an amazing uni, ranked 27th in UK overall, 13th for Dentistry), all are Russell Group universities too.

Have a look at BDS Dentistry (6 years) inc. preliminary/foundation year, prestigious universities like Bristol and Cardiff accept with grades of DDM and DDD respectively for the Applied Science or Applied Science (Medical) Level 3 BTEC Extended Diploma.

If you dont want to do a Foundation year consider University of Sheffield who require D*DD for their 5 year BDS Dentistry programme, they will require you to take a certain amount of Biology and Chemistry based modules in your BTEC to meet the requirements, which I assume you will as you are taking the Medical Pathway.

I stand corrected! Maybe things have changed since i applied 5 years ago...to be fair though i did say that the OP should check the university entry requirements, all i can offer is what i've experienced at the unis i've applied for. Also I'm not too familiar with the foundation courses.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Kartace
I stand corrected! Maybe things have changed since i applied 5 years ago...to be fair though i did say that the OP should check the university entry requirements, all i can offer is what i've experienced at the unis i've applied for. Also I'm not too familiar with the foundation courses.

Hi please dont take what i said about your post the wrong way, obviously the OP should listen to you, you actually have experience with this, i myself dont do dentistry, nothing like it :P i just know quite a bit about BTEC entry requirements :P

The foundation year basically builds up their knowledge to the standard of what they require, usually this is for mature students, students with A level grades not high enough for standard entry or people with other qualifications (mostly of lower than required grades) or relevant work experience, each uni differs on what they accept but basically it brings everyone up to the same level and usually prepares them better for the degree than other qualifications that can be taken at sixth form.
Reply 8
Original post by yt7777
Hi please dont take what i said about your post the wrong way, obviously the OP should listen to you, you actually have experience with this, i myself dont do dentistry, nothing like it :P i just know quite a bit about BTEC entry requirements :P

The foundation year basically builds up their knowledge to the standard of what they require, usually this is for mature students, students with A level grades not high enough for standard entry or people with other qualifications (mostly of lower than required grades) or relevant work experience, each uni differs on what they accept but basically it brings everyone up to the same level and usually prepares them better for the degree than other qualifications that can be taken at sixth form.

No worries - you learn something new every day! :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by yt7777

Thank you for taking your time to write that. It's incredibly helpful! However, I was wondering if your GCSE results will have a big impact when it comes to applying for this course. Is there any minimum GCSE results I need to study dentistry?
Original post by hnan2
Thank you for taking your time to write that. It's incredibly helpful! However, I was wondering if your GCSE results will have a big impact when it comes to applying for this course. Is there any minimum GCSE results I need to study dentistry?

Many of the universities require you to have 4-7 A/A* grades at GCSE.
I know this as I am in a similar situation as you (taking an extended diploma btec and AS Biology.)

It's a lot easier to see what uni's want by searching on the UCAS website, clicking on "find a course", then undergraduate and then searching for "dentistry".

Let me know how your research goes, as I'm struggling to find a uni who will accept me with ABBBBBBCCC at gcse and *hopefully* DDD at Btec and A in A level Biol
Reply 11
Original post by sophiemarie123
Many of the universities require you to have 4-7 A/A* grades at GCSE.
I know this as I am in a similar situation as you (taking an extended diploma btec and AS Biology.)

It's a lot easier to see what uni's want by searching on the UCAS website, clicking on "find a course", then undergraduate and then searching for "dentistry".

Let me know how your research goes, as I'm struggling to find a uni who will accept me with ABBBBBBCCC at gcse and *hopefully* DDD at Btec and A in A level Biol

I only got 2 B's in science, 2 C's (maths and english lit). Im currently doinh my enlgish language, and i'm trying to resit my maths so i can go for A's. I dont think I'll be eligible to study dentistry after all.

Quick Reply

Latest