The Student Room Group

I can't Hammer Curl FFS

Despite youtube videos etc, I still can't get the form right. Because of how fat the dumbells are, they come up at an angle when I curl.. So I hold my arms out at about a 45 degree angle before I curl but Idk it's really uncomfortable

It's the only curl I can do because of chronic tendonitus.

How do you lot hammer curl?
You will just have to play around with it and find a way that is comfortable for you. But for me weighted chinups are far more effective than curls.
Why do curls if it gives you tendonitis.. why bother?

Chin ups, rows, pullups etc are pretty good for biceps and have a lower risk of tendonitis
you got weak forearms bro
Reply 4
Original post by Angry cucumber
Why do curls if it gives you tendonitis.. why bother?

Chin ups, rows, pullups etc are pretty good for biceps and have a lower risk of tendonitis

Where my hand is supinated is where it causes problems, neutral grip curls are fine. I do them at the end of a workout where I've already had a whole session of heavy compounds. I'm pretty weak by then so added in curls to finish off the arms. I've tried rows and I enjoy them, once I've adapted to my new routine I'll add them in.
Reply 5
Original post by InternetGangster
you got weak forearms bro

probably! doesn't affect me deadlifting though
Just do it the same way everyone else does it mate. YouTube some videos if you have to.
Original post by JD1lla
Despite youtube videos etc, I still can't get the form right. Because of how fat the dumbells are, they come up at an angle when I curl.. So I hold my arms out at about a 45 degree angle before I curl but Idk it's really uncomfortable

It's the only curl I can do because of chronic tendonitus.

How do you lot hammer curl?

Have you tried doing a flipping light weight to check that you can physically do it? Maybe you are just doing too heavy a weight or something?? Try dropping the weight significantly and see if your arms can physically move in such a way.
Reply 8
Original post by Sparster
Have you tried doing a flipping light weight to check that you can physically do it? Maybe you are just doing too heavy a weight or something?? Try dropping the weight significantly and see if your arms can physically move in such a way.

yeah I tried nice and light with 10kg ??
Original post by JD1lla
yeah I tried nice and light with 10kg ??

How much do you weigh approx? Because if you are properly young and small then even 10kg may be quite heavy.
Reply 10
Original post by Sparster
How much do you weigh approx? Because if you are properly young and small then even 10kg may be quite heavy.

I'm 22 years old. 6ft. 85kg. I have a 175kg deadlift. I think 10kg dumbells are okay for me.
Original post by JD1lla
I'm 22 years old. 6ft. 85kg. I have a 175kg deadlift. I think 10kg dumbells are okay for me.

Okay lol fair. Can't be the reason then. Good luck figuring it out.

Quick Reply

Latest