The Student Room Group

Reapply for a pgce??

So I went straight on to a pgce after graduating from university. I ended up leaving the course in December 2014 (after 3 months of being on it) because I found it too hard and lacked confidence in my abilities.

Since then I have been working as a teaching assistant and feel like gained much more confidence in the classroom. I am currently able to cover the class teacher when she is out on PPA which is giving me great experience of managing the whole class. I still have room for improvement as I think I'm not good at behaviour management and keeping all the children engaged - but I do think I am improving and learning how to use my voice differently etc. I am a very quiet/shy person and sometimes feel this might be seen as a negative when teaching - thoughts?

Now I'm unsure of whether to apply again for a pgce for 2016 or to enjoy some more time out. My friends want to house share with me in January and this is an opportunity to move out of my family home, have a social life and try out a different or similar job.

I want to be a teacher, I just feel like I need to believe in myself more as I've proven to myself that I am capable.

I'm just in a dilemma about starting my career or just enjoying my 20s...(I'm 22) I want to get on my feet financially but I am tempted to live with my friends.
Reply 1
Honestly, I would say you're only young once. Would you be able to afford to move out if you continue working as a TA? Teaching is no 9-5 job as I'm sure you're aware and honestly if I had the opportunity to be a TA for a year or two before starting a PGCE I would take it.

Teaching is always going to be there, true that it might start getting harder to get a place but you will have valuable experience to support your application and you will have a lot more to back you up as well as more confidence too.

Sorry if this is all a bit of a jumble, ultimately it's your decision but if I was in your shoes, I would take the opportunity to be young and have fun for another year, all whilst gaining experience to support you when you do come to apply for your PGCE once again.

(There was another thread almost identical to this a few weeks ago, if you can find it.)
Reply 3
I'm just undecided about it. It just seems like a hard decision for me because I see the pros and cons with both options! Oh yes that was my thread on my other account lol forgot my login and decided to post again - apologies ha
Reply 4
Original post by kizzz!
Honestly, I would say you're only young once. Would you be able to afford to move out if you continue working as a TA? Teaching is no 9-5 job as I'm sure you're aware and honestly if I had the opportunity to be a TA for a year or two before starting a PGCE I would take it.

Teaching is always going to be there, true that it might start getting harder to get a place but you will have valuable experience to support your application and you will have a lot more to back you up as well as more confidence too.

Sorry if this is all a bit of a jumble, ultimately it's your decision but if I was in your shoes, I would take the opportunity to be young and have fun for another year, all whilst gaining experience to support you when you do come to apply for your PGCE once again.

(There was another thread almost identical to this a few weeks ago, if you can find it.)

I won't really be able to afford to move out as I'm saving up spends to go on a holiday (quite an expensive one) and need to get out of my overdraft. So I'm just worried about the financial side. I could always stay at home, save up and move out and do my pgce in september. This would work out money wise and I would have a year and a half paid experience in a school so I'd probs feel more than ready to tackle a pgce.
And ultimately doing a pgce and getting my career started could help me out financially. It's just a hard decision. If I was paying off debt, saving up spends and repaying my overdraft I'd be in a better situation...

I could move out for my pgce and move to the same city as my friends or live with them.
(edited 8 years ago)
I would defiantly consider if you want a life. If you are 100% determined and nothing will stop you like it did last time then I'd go for it while you can, but if you want a bit of a life with your new housemates and have a bit of money behind you then I'd maybe delay it. It is never too late to start the course!
Reply 6
I would advise to do the PGCE now. Get the studying out the way whilst your young. Rather than taking time out and then maybe going back in 10 years. Once you have your PGCE you can move out be on a higher wage. Travel the world and teach even emigrate abroad if you want to. A TA position will not allow you to do that. TA work is great for confidence. But in terms of employment they will always want to know what experience you have after training. I am 30 trying to get on a PGCE course. I wanted to do one years ago but delayed it. It was free years ago now its 9k what will it be in a few more years time?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending