The Student Room Group

Why do so many people use getting good grades as an excuse for no social life

The top students in my sixth form are out partying pretty much every weekend and the vast majority go to the gym and aren't virgins. So my question is why do so many people particularly on this site claim they can't have a social life because they need to spend all their time studying? It's clearly possible to have a balance between work and play.
do they get 100/100 ums doeee
Lol nonsense
and the one's who do this, have no social skills left.
Haven't seen many people claim that at all
Tbf, all the people in my sixth form that were clever and have gone to the top unis were always the social ones. The two "top" form groups were always the ones that went to the parties, organised events, took part in stuff in and out of school and are ultimately not just clever, but have actually gone out and done amazing things and have the skills to go places.

I count myself sooo lucky to be a part of a group that was focused but also great fun. Hate it when I see people who don't understand there's more to life than getting 100% in your C4 maths... 😐
Original post by MattyJMP
Tbf, all the people in my sixth form that were clever and have gone to the top unis were always the social ones. The two "top" form groups were always the ones that went to the parties, organised events, took part in stuff in and out of school and are ultimately not just clever, but have actually gone out and done amazing things and have the skills to go places.

I count myself sooo lucky to be a part of a group that was focused but also great fun. Hate it when I see people who don't understand there's more to life than getting 100% in your C4 maths... 😐

... there is?
Reply 8
Yea i go to the top sixth form in my area and most people are quite social and go to parties and stuff. A lot of the humanities and arts people do drugs but are actually really smart. The computing folk spend their lunchtimes watching league of legends videos but then again they do form little groups so I wouldn't say they were antisocial either.
Yeah, I don't understand why some people only focus on academia or only focus on their social lives. Why not both?
(edited 8 years ago)
I'll tell you why, becuase you're right. There is no reason one cannot maintain a strong social life and get great grades with even average intelligence.

They do it becuase getting good grades = a positive thing societally.
Maintaining a good social life, aka binge drinking, smoking pot and ****ing hoes = a positive thing soceitally.

Sitting at home reading books/writing poetry/doing paintings/building ****/not working/playing video games = all bad things by society.

The people who claim they cannot have a social life since they need good grades really do all the other things I mentioned after which are seen as being bad/lame/sad/whatever and so they try and avoid saying that that is the real reason why they don't go out binging (because they prefer stuff that society thinks is an inferior way to spend recreational time) because they know they won't be judged as harshly for it as a result.
It's very simple there are three types of people:

Naturally smart
Naturally stupid but hard working
Naturally stupid and don't care

Quick Reply

Latest