The Student Room Group

First Past The Post or Proportional Representation?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Simes
Proportional representation means some constituencies have to have someone they did not vote for. It means the end of local representational democracy and a switch to pure national-level party politics. The constituency concept may as well be scrapped and just let the parties prioritise the MPs they want (which they do already) in a long list and when we allocate our votes to parties they put in whichever corrupt cronies they want. Much like they do now only worse.

And it will be almost impossible for us to get rid of a bent MP that the party wants to keep.

sorry, but how is it (your situation of corrupt lists) worse than what we have now? the party itself chooses who is the prospective MP for a constituency, whether the public like this person or not. if anything, in a PR sysstem, if there *is* a "crony", then this will damage the partly directly (because the vote is directly proportional to the seats, of course), whereas in a FPTP system, it wouldn't matter very much to have a crony because of the severe limitation of other options (based on how voting for a smaller/similar party is basically worthless regarding its practical results!). I can't help but think that not only would we have a fair result regarding the election, but the accessibility of "cronies" would actually *decrease* because the party itself would want to get rid of negative characters whenever possible, if the voters will punish them for it by easily being able to vote for smaller/similar parties as an alternative

have you even considered the possibility of open list PR voting, also? why have closed national lists when you can have open and regional lists for PR? you get both the relative constituency link *and* a choice in who individually is elected in a party list
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Bornblue
Dictatorships allow 'governments to govern' too.
All people being represented should trump a party winning 25% of the electorate's vote from having all control.

UKIP won 16% of the vote, they should have 16% of the seats.

And which constituencies would those 100 odd MPs represent? I, like most want a constituency based MP who represents my constituency needs and is held accountable by his/her constituents?

I want independent MPs who would never get voted in under your method.
Original post by MatureStudent36
And which constituencies would those 100 odd MPs represent? I, like most want a constituency based MP who represents my constituency needs and is held accountable by his/her constituents?

I want independent MPs who would never get voted in under your method.

Your local MP doesn't really have any real power over your local constituency, your council has far more.

You could have STV which would keep local MPs, as well as make sure the result is more proportional.
Your local MP doesn't really have any real power over your local constituency, your council has far more.

You could have STV which would keep local MPs, as well as make sure the result is more proportional.

A local MP has an awful lot of influence in their constituency. They get to vote in the laws that impact on that constituency and represent that community's opinions in parliament.

A council isn't going to be able to discuss economic or foreign policy.
A local MP has an awful lot of influence in their constituency. They get to vote in the laws that impact on that constituency and represent that community's opinions in parliament.

A council isn't going to be able to discuss economic or foreign policy.

True, but other MPs do that aswell for your constituency. It's the council who determines local tax rates and resource allocation.

I'm fine with having a local MP, that's why STV works well, it combines having a local MP with having PR.

Best of both.
True, but other MPs do that aswell for your constituency. It's the council who determines local tax rates and resource allocation.

I'm fine with having a local MP, that's why STV works well, it combines having a local MP with having PR.

Best of both.

AMS has closed party list(proportional)+ FPTP(a local mp), just saying.

Best of both.

Councils don't really do local tax. They deliver some services but don't really impact on policy. N.B. The decision to put traffic lights at a junction and arrange refuse collection isn't the policy I'm talking about. It's a policy, but not big game policy.

But just because it can't be perfect doesn't mean we shouldn't try. We should aim for a system that best represents people's wishes. I despise UKIP and the people who vote for them, but they should still be represented.

People want to spend less money on taxes and to spend more on public services. They don't want more immigration but generally think we need to take in more refugees etc ad infinitum. The truth is people don't know what they want and pandering to idiots of whatever political persuasion isn't going to make the system any better off, but could in fact create the kind of gridlock and fathing about like in Belgium.

But still, we should have it. It would also stop the gerrymandering of borders to fix elections.

Oh that will never end...
Original post by Davij038
People want to spend less money on taxes and to spend more on public services. They don't want more immigration but generally think we need to take in more refugees etc ad infinitum. The truth is people don't know what they want and pandering to idiots of whatever political persuasion isn't going to make the system any better off, but could in fact create the kind of gridlock and fathing about like in Belgium.

Oh that will never end...

But who's to say they are idiots and we're not? On a personal level, I find this obsession with an abstract 'centre ground' from the main parties as silly as some of UKIPs or the Green's obsessions.
We could quite reasonably make a case for tory voters or labour voters being idiots too.
The idea of someone's vote not counting (effectively) because you don't like their views is very undemocratic.

And yes there may be more gridlock, but the alternative of having a government elected on 25% of the vote having all power is not preferable either. You need a combination of the two.
Germany seem to have done well.

I personally think our parties should work together more, rather than this us v them mentality we have and a change in system would allow that.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 29
But there was a referendum on the issue and the electorate said no.

I don't think anyone will admit with a straight face that the majority of people actually understood AV when the referendum was proposed, I knew more than my parents did and i was only 15-16 at the time, bloody shambles.
Original post by TheNote
I don't think anyone will admit with a straight face that the majority of people actually understood AV when the referendum was proposed, I knew more than my parents did and i was only 15-16 at the time, bloody shambles.

Ok. I'll put it this way.

There is no wide scale desire for change other than those supporting fringe parties.
Reply 31
Original post by sleepysnooze
have you even considered the possibility of open list PR voting, also? why have closed national lists when you can have open and regional lists for PR? you get both the relative constituency link *and* a choice in who individually is elected in a party list

The problem there is that it starts becoming too complicated to be transparent. That doesn't 'look like' or 'feel like' democracy.

The biggest benefit of FPTP is that if you want to let the great unwashed masses vote, it is a system they can comprehend.

Every form of PR proposed involves some fiddling with numbers that confuses the people who can't work out that a Wonga loan is a not a good idea.
Original post by Simes
The problem there is that it starts becoming too complicated to be transparent. That doesn't 'look like' or 'feel like' democracy.

The biggest benefit of FPTP is that if you want to let the great unwashed masses vote, it is a system they can comprehend.

Every form of PR proposed involves some fiddling with numbers that confuses the people who can't work out that a Wonga loan is a not a good idea.

there are so many countries in europe with open party list with turnout levels being higher than ours. does that suggest that people don't understand that electoral system? or the opposite?
Reply 33
Ok. I'll put it this way.

There is no wide scale desire for change other than those supporting fringe parties.

Why would there be support for something people do not understand.
Original post by morgan8002
These are pretty much my thoughts on the issue, supporting real democracy. I think there needs to be some slight modification of pure direct democracy(at least in the beginning) though because it

Politics is linked to the economic system. Democracy would threaten the current economic system.

You're right about the beginning. It would have to be slowly introduced so everyone understands their roles and responsibilities.
Original post by TheNote
Why would there be support for something people do not understand.

Ah, the much vaunted 'I understand something that is vaguely complicated so I won't ask anybody's opinion' brigade.
Reply 36
Ah, the much vaunted 'I understand something that is vaguely complicated so I won't ask anybody's opinion' brigade.

What are you talking about? Im saying that the support for av was low because they didnt understand it, rather than that they actually thought it was a bad idea.
Reply 37
Original post by TheNote
What are you talking about? Im saying that the support for av was low because they didnt understand it, rather than that they actually thought it was a bad idea.

Maybe they understood AV, maybe they didn't. But the savvy ones realised the Electoral Reform Society had always rejected AV as unsuitable for parliamentary elections, until the referendum loomed and they deleted that piece of wisdom from their website.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by saayagain
Politics is linked to the economic system. Democracy would threaten the current economic system.

You're right about the beginning. It would have to be slowly introduced so everyone understands their roles and responsibilities.

How much self-determination should we be wlling to surrender to support the economic system?

I mean why should we be able to choose what we eat, when we sleep, what car we drive or who we **** when all that stuff affects all important economic system.
Original post by mojojojo101
How much self-determination should we be wlling to surrender to support the economic system?

I mean why should we be able to choose what we eat, when we sleep, what car we drive or who we **** when all that stuff affects all important economic system.

Most of what we do relies on other people doing what they do or what they do not do so self determination applies to a limited amount of events.

Lets look at your example of eating.

Your choice of food is reliant on other people. You do not self determinate in that regard unless you have the resources to make any food that you desire, which is not possible. Choice is limited. It always is. If you cannot afford a particular food item that you want, you can't buy it. If the food item is not made by someone else, you can't buy it.

Instead of dismissing this reliance, embrace it. Work together. Democratically decide which foods should be produced according to many variables including personal preference, the environment, resources and competences, fair shares etc etc...

Also, your critique is based on an authoritarian system. Capitalism is authoritarian. If YOU demand a good, it doesn't mean that it will be made. YOU are insignificant in relation to the whole market. YOU require loads of people to want what you want. Therefore YOU have no power to self determinate.

There are so many ways I can crush your self determination fantasy.

You don't choose when you sleep. lol. You sleep when you do because of external factors. You CHOICE is limited to what you do now. You surrender loads of self determination since you are not incorporated in the decision making processes to which you are attached. Capitalism tell you to see yourself as an individual that deserves individual freedom and should do what's best for the individual when the real world relies on cooperation and groups of people acting together.

This is why you support dictatorship.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending