The Student Room Group

Commuters: what is your total travel time for uni?

Considering a place next year which would mean a 3 hour commute and I just cant see myself going on a rainy January day

Scroll to see replies

I commuted three hours (in total) each day when I was at uni, and that was fine for me. If your commute would be 3 hours each way (which hopefully isn't the case), then don't bother
Original post by shawn_o1
I commuted three hours (in total) each day when I was at uni, and that was fine for me. If your commute would be 3 hours each way (which hopefully isn't the case), then don't bother

Yes 3 hours total (by public transport) You can make some use of time on the train but its at best about 70% as useful as time at home. Im trying to negate the impact by thinking uni is about 32 weeks a year..
Original post by skeptical_john
Considering a place next year which would mean a 3 hour commute and I just cant see myself going on a rainy January day

Hi, it takes me 2 hours to travel from Saltdean (Sussex) to Mile End in London if I get the tube from Victoria. It takes me 3 hours if I get the bus from Victoria. In total, it's between 4-5 hours per day that I travel, because it takes me 2 hrs to get home again.

Just noticed yours is 3hrs collectively, and that is nothing, trust me! 1hr 30 each way will be fine :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by holly_1994
Hi, it takes me 2 hours to travel from Saltdean (Sussex) to Mile End in London if I get the tube from Victoria. It takes me 3 hours if I get the bus from Victoria. In total, it's between 4-5 hours per day that I travel, because it takes me 2 hrs to get home again.

Just noticed yours is 3hrs collectively, and that is nothing, trust me! 1hr 30 each way will be fine :smile:

4-5 hours :redface:
Mine is 1hour20 each way... I can't even deal with that!
Original post by lizmoo0721
4-5 hours :redface:
Mine is 1hour20 each way... I can't even deal with that!

1hr 20 each way is still a trek, though. I suppose you just get used to it somehow, which is slightly unnerving; I shouldn't find getting up at 430am on a Monday morning and getting back home for 8pm "normal", but I somehow do now! Utter madness, I know :smile:
Not at university but if I travel to school it's an hour and that kind of kills me before 9am and after 5pm... not sure how you'd fair at university; it seems much more intense and if thats the case, commuting would be utter hell for me.
1st degree:
1st year: 5 minute walk, 2nd and 4th year: 30 minutes on the bus

year abroad: about 20 minute walk

PhD: about 30 minute walk

2nd degree: 30 seconds to go downstairs as I studied from home. took about 2hrs on train to get to exams

diploma classes: about 30 minute drive
Original post by holly_1994

That's epic! Basically 1 day a week traveling, not sure I'd do that for a well paid job. Fair play though.
Reply 9
Mine is similar - an half an hour to Paddington by tube, then an hour train to Oxford and another bus (half-an hour) journey to my lecture. I've gotten used to it. I get most of my work done on the train anyway.
That's epic! Basically 1 day a week traveling, not sure I'd do that for a well paid job. Fair play though.

I underestimated the travel time when I was considering it before having to actually do it, but it somehow feels normal now :smile:
Mine takes about an hour of a morning to get from Liverpool to Chester and then a ten minute walk to the campus. Not gonna lie waking up at 6 on a Monday morning and getting home at about half 7 ain't the best (9-6) but the uni starbucks gets me through it!
1 hour and 20 mins

Because of stupid bus timings

Mine is a 1 1/2 hour commute (in total) which isn't as bad obviously as a 3 hour commute.

I don't find it that bad, especially this year as my lectures start at 10 instead of 9am.
But I do find it bad if I want to stay in uni later or if there is a night out etc as I can't just walk back to a flat 15 mins away. I then have to either bring my car (meaning I cant drink) or I have to get the train (my last train is at 11pm) so I would have to go home earlier.
Original post by evalilyXOX
Mine is a 1 1/2 hour commute (in total) which isn't as bad obviously as a 3 hour commute.

I don't find it that bad, especially this year as my lectures start at 10 instead of 9am.
But I do find it bad if I want to stay in uni later or if there is a night out etc as I can't just walk back to a flat 15 mins away. I then have to either bring my car (meaning I cant drink) or I have to get the train (my last train is at 11pm) so I would have to go home earlier.

This is another factor, I will potentially miss out on a lot of social evening activities as I have to get an early train back.
This is another factor, I will potentially miss out on a lot of social evening activities as I have to get an early train back.

Yeah I have found that a lot which sucks ! I stayed at home because the university in my city (Glasgow) is the best in my country for my degree (law).

I am lucky in the sense that I have a car for commuting in every day. However sometimes I have to take public transport and it extends my commute time even further.

I struggled with the whole night life thing as I either had to ask to stay at a friend's, or get a taxi home which was a) REALLY expensive ! and b) sometimes dodgy since I am a female on my own in a taxi at 4am
It used to take me about 3 hours total

Posted from TSR Mobile

30 minute walk or 10 minute bus ride :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
35mins
Reply 19
30 minutes for a return trip.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending