The Student Room Group

Leaving my apprenticeship for university?

Hiya,

I'm currently doing a higher apprenticeship in managerial finance, it's for two years and I started in September.

However, right now I hate the job. We're the first apprentices they've ever had and they have no idea what to do with us.

My friend started the apprenticeship the same time as me and they're treating her as an apprentice while they treat me the same as a band 3 (we're paid less than a band 1 even though our CIMA course is fully funded as we're under 18). I really hate it, it makes me feel stressed and like they expect us to be able to do the same work as someone who is paid so much more than us - they even made be work 8-9 the other day.

The actually college isn't very good either. They don't give us study leave and we have 3 day blocks at college every 2-4 months where they just tell you things and expect you to do the exam two weeks later. Something I really hate as I love learning and not memorising.

I'm so tempted right now to apply to uni and quit in September (next year) or even find myself a new job.

I left sixth form with A*AB and a lot of teachers thought I should've gone to uni, which now I believe I should've done. I mainly went through the apprenticeship route as my mum is very anti-uni and doesn't see any benefits.

Right now I feel trapped. I won't quit the job until I have something else but I feel like a quitter and I'm not sure if uni is the best option - I want to study ancient history although I'm still not sure what I want to do job wise.

I would just like some advice on what to do. The job is making me stressed and I never wanted a job that I don't enjoy or see a future in.
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm doing an apprenticeship over uni and I love it, but don't expect to be getting paid more for doing more work. You're still technically learning and if you're capable of doing that work that's great, but you're still in training to them. If you want to go the uni route, go for it. If you want to go with this career though, you're gaining valuable experience and it's a great stepping stone and you are earning as you go, even if it is a small amount. Don't forget how expensive uni is and how you aren't guranteed a job at the end. Your apprenticeship might be crap to begin with, especially as you only started in September, but it'll get better.
Reply 2
Original post by bethwalker85
I'm doing an apprenticeship over uni and I love it, but don't expect to be getting paid more for doing more work. You're still technically learning and if you're capable of doing that work that's great, but you're still in training to them. If you want to go the uni route, go for it. If you want to go with this career though, you're gaining valuable experience and it's a great stepping stone and you are earning as you go, even if it is a small amount. Don't forget how expensive uni is and how you aren't guranteed a job at the end. Your apprenticeship might be crap to begin with, especially as you only started in September, but it'll get better.

I get flexi time if I stay later, and the experience is good especially with the company in with. But it's more the apprenticeship side I hate and the fact they don't treat us as apprentices (I.e. Not giving us study leave)

Original post by jaisi
I think you should tell the training provider about your problems with the company your employed to first. They can discuss your options with you and might be able to switch you over to another apprenticeship you're interested in. If apprenticeships aren't what you want to do altogether, tell the training provider you would no longer like to continue your apprenticeship and tell your reason why. I'm sure they'll help you out! :smile:

Also, if you want to go to uni, then go for it! :smile:

The training provider is coming next week to review our progress so I think I'll tell them how I feel right now - see what they say! As the person I should talk to about it is never in and I don't feel confident enough to speak to my line manager about it - especially as they wont have much power over study leave etc.

Thanks for the replies.
Original post by A_katherine
I get flexi time if I stay later, and the experience is good especially with the company in with. But it's more the apprenticeship side I hate and the fact they don't treat us as apprentices (I.e. Not giving us study leave)

I don't get study leave as an apprentice? I didn't think any apprentices did.
Reply 4
Original post by bethwalker85
I don't get study leave as an apprentice? I didn't think any apprentices did.

You should, literally all apprenticeships are allowed study leave or day release to study/go to college. Do you not go to college and study for your qualification?
Original post by A_katherine
You should, literally all apprenticeships are allowed study leave or day release to study/go to college. Do you not go to college and study for your qualification?

Oh for college, I get ya. No, I have a tutor who comes into my place of work and then I do all the work online.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending