The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by qasidb
But we also realise we have LVG in charge and that the teams above us won't drop out of top 4 easily.

If the team performs significantly above expectation (say 2.1 ppg or higher), it'll probably happen IMO - something you have to realise is that football management is mostly luck given the stdev on ppg is going to be quite high (unfortunately all the useful stats I can find through google are for American football and the stuff for normal football which isn't behind a football is all useless *******s like passes per game), so it's exceedingly unlikely that at least one, probably two or more of the teams in the top four won't hit a bad patch before the end of the season. Of course, it's just as likely that United hit (continue?) another bad stretch, so it's definitely not at the 'more likely than not' stage, but I'd probably take 3-1 odds, definitely take 5-1.
Fosu-Mensah will basically be our own version of Alaba. Pep would have worked wonders with him. Can play him anywhere in midfield and defense.
LvG seemingly on the brink of an exit, with Mourinho likely to come in. Only for a resurgance from our players. And who are at the forefront of that resurgance. The kids. The same kids that would never get these sort of chances under Mourinho.

It's quite the story. Don't **** it up now.
Original post by Kenan and Kel
LvG seemingly on the brink of an exit, with Mourinho likely to come in. Only for a resurgance from our players. And who are at the forefront of that resurgance. The kids. The same kids that would never get these sort of chances under Mourinho.

It's quite the story. Don't **** it up now.

Right, because if Mourinho was the manager this season and we had the same injury problems he would rather play nobody.

I'm not so Pro-Mourinho that I'm blind to what he does not bring but it's just that people are still trying to make it seem that giving Mourinho the job isn't a good idea when it's obviously the best option. How do you know that Mourinho won't plan to use youth as an agreement as part of the job requirements? Yeah you don't.

It's resurgence btw.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5564
Original post by WeOnlyLiveOnce
Yeah just can't see us finishing fourth. It would require one of Arsenal or City to really **** up big time.

I think they are both capable of it. I mean, either one should have run away with the league by now, yet here we are.
Want Timboo to start on Wednesday.
Original post by Dirtybit
Right, because if Mourinho was the manager this season and we had the same injury problems he would rather play nobody.

I'm not so Pro-Mourinho that I'm blind to what he does not bring but it's just that people are still trying to make it seem that giving Mourinho the job isn't a good idea when it's obviously the best option. How do you know that Mourinho won't plan to use youth as an agreement as part of the job requirements? Yeah you don't.

It's resurgence btw.

Because of his history? How the **** else? He probably would have bought / loaned in some big names in January if he was hit with injuries
Reply 5567
It's possible that all the clubs Mourinho has managed at were not keen on youth, and that he took his cues from that (more or less). If that is the case then at a club that promotes youth he may choose differently. I don't know how likely it is though . . . not very, I guess, given the other pressures he would also face.
If LVG was to win the EL, get top four, playing the sort of football as the team has recently and giving young players a chance if they deliver, and with no alternative to Mourinho who they are torn by appointing, then wouldn't be averse to LVG keeping his job but not so confident trusting him with money now with 13 signings who have succeeded besides a few

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's resurgence btw.

Woah, take that @Kenan and Kel

Shut your mouth and know your role!

Original post by Aky786UK
If LVG was to win the EL, get top four, playing the sort of football as the team has recently and giving young players a chance if they deliver, and with no alternative to Mourinho who they are torn by appointing, then wouldn't be averse to LVG keeping his job but not so confident trusting him with money now with 13 signings who have succeeded besides a few

Posted from TSR Mobile

A few decent results and we're all of a sudden talking positively about LVG again, **** him.

#LVGOUT

@sr90 thoughts?
Original post by zKlown
A few decent results and we're all of a sudden talking positively about LVG again, **** him.

#LVGOUT

@sr90 thoughts?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Should have added its dependent on winning against teams we should be winning against like our next two games. But more than likely it will be that LVG goes but seeing these young players do well, makes you wonder where they will be next year when Mourinho takes charge
Original post by llys
It's possible that all the clubs Mourinho has managed at were not keen on youth, and that he took his cues from that (more or less). If that is the case then at a club that promotes youth he may choose differently. I don't know how likely it is though . . . not very, I guess, given the other pressures he would also face.

Real Madrid since then have promoted Jesé and they utilised Morata a fair bit in the 13/14 season. They also got Carvajal back from Leverkusen who was a Castilla product that was sold under Mourinho(while it was clear Arbeloa was declining as a player)

Chelsea I hear have plans to promote youth but with a trigger happy Abramovich I can see why people won't be too keen on utilising youth.

Realistically I think Abramovich has stopped his 'win the league or you're fired' antics. But realistically top 4 or sacked makes sense bar for inconceivable circumstances.
I don't think Mou coming in will be the end for the youth.

He knows what the club's about and given the array of talent we have it'd be foolish for any manager to disregard it.

It's resurgence btw.

Mourinho will do what he did at Chelsea and play players out of position(Hazard/Oscar at 9, Luiz at DM) before turning to academy players.

It works for him and so you can't complain too much.

Original post by Rk2k14
I don't think Mou coming in will be the end for the youth.He knows what the club's about and given the array of talent we have it'd be foolish for any manager to disregard it.
Chelsea's array of talent has clearly been proven to be one of the best in europe(if not the best at U19 level) the past few years.

Saying that, if there is a youth player that's just ready made as a first team player then Mourinho is clearly going to play him. I doubt there is a player like that in your squad though.
(edited 8 years ago)
There's no better feeling than seeing a player from our academy getting a chance and shining for the first team. Main reason why seeing Rashford thrive is worth watching.

If Mourinho comes in and buys a world class striker, I fear that the likes of Wilson and Rashford will have their opportunities completely limited. Mourinho usually plays with 1 striker so having Martial, Rooney, Wilson and Rashford as well as even Will Keane should indicate maybe we should hold off from buying another striker for now and allow them to develop. If we move Rooney on, then yeah let's go all out for a world class striker. Ibra on a free would be great, would definitely provide a stop gap until Martial is fully ready to take up the mantle of being our star striker.

I feel Januzaj and Pereira will probably be loaned out which wouldn't be surprising tbh. They need first team football and I doubt Mourinho would provide them that next season (obviously that's if he takes over at United). I hope he keeps on CBJ and Varela as our second choice full backs. Varela showing great form and he's certainly going to challenge Darmian for that RB spot. CBJ has proven that he's a decent cover for Luke Shaw. As for Lingard, I still feel he isn't good enough for United. Love that he's our academy product and getting a chance but I just don't think he's cut out for the highest level. At best, he should be a squad player.

Mourinho probably going to come in and sign like 2/3 world class players and maybe good squad players. We need a RW, another CM if Carrick's contract is not renewed and possibly another CB. Fed up with Jones, the guy is literally injured all the time and unlike Smalling, he hasn't progressed one bit. Still reckless when he challenges for the ball and just looks clumsy when in possession of the ball. Does some driving runs but they're usually into blind alleys. I actually think he doesn't have a future at United, SAF said he could be our best ever player. :lol:.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rk2k14
I don't think Mou coming in will be the end for the youth.

He knows what the club's about and given the array of talent we have it'd be foolish for any manager to disregard it.

That's exactly what I'm hoping for. I hope he realises that he could use some of the squad places for youth. Leaving a spot for Pereira, Januzaj, CBJ, Varela and Wilson would be great. He usually keeps a small squad, well he did at Chelsea and sticks mostly to using an unchanged starting 11 in most matches. He needs to rotate at United and possibly give chances to our youth in the COC and early stages of the FA cup. Since its unlikely we'll make top 4, possibly even give the youth chances in the Europa League next season.

Just gna have to wait and see what he does provided he becomes United manager next season. Summer transfer window will be interesting.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jam277
Mourinho will do what he did at Chelsea and play players out of position(Hazard/Oscar at 9, Luiz at DM) before turning to academy players.

It works for him and so you can't complain too much.

Chelsea's array of talent has clearly been proven to be one of the best in europe(if not the best at U19 level) the past few years.

Saying that, if there is a youth player that's just ready made as a first team player then Mourinho is clearly going to play him. I doubt there is a player like that in your squad though.

Its a shame they don't make the jump with the big boys in u21's.
We certainly have a lot of players who'd benefit from getting some gamete under their belt and they've proven at under21 level that they are good enough. Not saying play them week in week out, but you cannot deny the quality. Give them the opportunity and they will do well.
If Mourinho hates to use youth so much then he won't take the United job, he'll go to Madrid where he can buy any player he wants.
[video="youtube;P1DCKt8mzsQ"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1DCKt8mzsQ[/video]

Bruv when we gonna get bettaaah :rofl:
If Mourinho hates to use youth so much then he won't take the United job, he'll go to Madrid where he can buy any player he wants.

You're just being nonsensical now.

Latest