The Student Room Group

Thinking about dropping out of uni, not sure what to do

Hello,

Im in my first year studying psychology with biology, i am not enjoying the course and have no motivation to study for exams, i am not enjoying the halls i am living in. My flat mates are all antisocial and end up spending most evenings alone which i hate. I also miss being away from home.

I am thinking about dropping out and getting a part time job while doing an Open University course. However, obviously without a degree the only jobs i would be able to apply for are the basic admin roles which is reasonable but I am worried that I would end up in dead end job, even after a degree. I would prefer an apprenticeship but again, without a degree the apprenticeships in my area are very basic and afterwards they do not even earn you any qualifications.

Any advice please?
Even if you have 'antisocial' flatmates, perhaps you could go on nights out and meet people that way to tag along with every so often, or if you know people from your course or there's a massive social going on, you could join them?

Motivation to study for exams can be quite difficult to find even if you did enjoy the course. Are the things that you would study next semester and the next few years looking better, or just as boring? If you were given the choice, would you switch from your joint honours degree to just Biology or just Psychology from Year 1 or Year 2?

It may be a good idea to have a chat with your personal tutor and see what they think.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending