The Student Room Group

i feel so awkward texting/talking through social media

it literally makes me want to puke when i get a facebook chat message from someone i'm not that close with just saying 'hey' or something. I never know what to say i'm scared i'll sound too blunt or too keen and then there's the pressure of keeping the conversation going and stuff i absolutely hate it which is why in some past experiences i've just ignored them. Anyone else feel this way or know how to get over it?
Original post by Anonymous
it literally makes me want to puke when i get a facebook chat message from someone i'm not that close with just saying 'hey' or something. I never know what to say i'm scared i'll sound too blunt or too keen and then there's the pressure of keeping the conversation going and stuff i absolutely hate it which is why in some past experiences i've just ignored them. Anyone else feel this way or know how to get over it?

This happens to me often, just ignore them :mmm:

Sounds like you're an extreme introvert. Deactivating Facebook could help?
I feel the same way about face to face conversations.
Doing it more will help :smile: A conversation has to start somewhere right? Normaly people say "Hey" or "Hi" in person so it shouldnt make a difference over social media. If you want to avoid it that bad you'll have to do it a few times, get to know peoples plans and open a conversation with something like "How was that day at ____?" or "How did that event go?" That might work.
I feel the same way. Not helped when the person who says "hi" has nothing to say. Whereas if I text, FB message or email someone, it's because I actually have something to say.
Reply 6
Hi
Reply 7
Original post by flippantri
Sounds like you're an extreme introvert. Deactivating Facebook could help?

i'm quite introverted but wouldn't say extreme, i love talking to people in person and i'm a very chatty person in real life it's just i struggle to have conversations over text/chat
i'm quite introverted but wouldn't say extreme, i love talking to people in person and i'm a very chatty person in real life it's just i struggle to have conversations over text/chat

Hm, maybe ignoring them? It's what I tend to do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending