The Student Room Group

How do i remove excess earwax???

My ear has been blocked for about a month now, I went to the doctor and she told me to put olive oil in my ear to soften the wax, but it isn't working.

I'm so tired of not being able to hear clearly and need some fast, reliable ways to clean my ear. Anyone tried or heard of anything that works?
Reply 1
Heat the olive oil so it's around 30 degrees, put it in your ears using dropper and leave in there for five minutes with your head tilted to side then do same with other ear and have hot shower

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
My ear has been blocked for about a month now, I went to the doctor and she told me to put olive oil in my ear to soften the wax, but it isn't working.

I'm so tired of not being able to hear clearly and need some fast, reliable ways to clean my ear. Anyone tried or heard of anything that works?

I wouldn't recommend putting anything in your ear that you're unsure about.
Olive oil is your best bet. I say put in more drops, and eventually get them syringed.
Reply 3
q tips
Reply 4
Original post by Abdi112
Heat the olive oil so it's around 30 degrees, put it in your ears using dropper and leave in there for five minutes with your head tilted to side then do same with other ear and have hot shower

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by arfah
I wouldn't recommend putting anything in your ear that you're unsure about.
Olive oil is your best bet. I say put in more drops, and eventually get them syringed.

Ok thanks guys, I'm gonna try heating the olive oil.
Boil kettle.

Put boilt water in something

Add salt

Mix until salt is dissolved (so it's a saline solution.)

Get a tissue, and dab it in the (cooler now) water, and squeeze tissue by ear on its side.

Drip water in ear.

Leave it in for xyz.

Tilt out and get tissue to dry it up.

Do again and again until u are satisfied.
Original post by sandvika
q tips

Nope. Do NOT use q-tips/cotton buds, it'll compact the ear wax even more by pushing it in within the ear canal towards the eardrum.

You need to book another appointment with your GP for an ear syringing (usually performed by a nurse at the practice), whereby lukewarm water is jetted in to the ear canal to soften and push the earwax out.

You should continue to use the olive oil drops or sodium bicarbonate drops as instructed, usually three times a day. This'll soften the compacted wax that is to be removed.
(edited 8 years ago)
I have had major issues with this so I have enough experience to advise you to:

Try the olive oil thing, book an appointment with a nurse asap for the syringing. Mine was so bad she couldn't get it all out so I had to go to the hospital to get a microsuction. Don't worry, it's mostly painless. Hope this helps :biggrin:
Reply 8
I have had major issues with this so I have enough experience to advise you to:

Try the olive oil thing, book an appointment with a nurse asap for the syringing. Mine was so bad she couldn't get it all out so I had to go to the hospital to get a microsuction. Don't worry, it's mostly painless. Hope this helps :biggrin:

Is it possible to just do the olive oil thing without booking an appointment for syringing? My doctor didn't mention anything about booking another appointment so I assumed the wax would clear out in it's own time by itself?
Is it possible to just do the olive oil thing without booking an appointment for syringing? My doctor didn't mention anything about booking another appointment so I assumed the wax would clear out in it's own time by itself?

Well its not coming out your ear so I believe you should book another appointment or you'll just stay the same if the earwax stays in there!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jeena_hunt5476
Well its not coming out your ear so I believe you should book another appointment or you'll just stay the same if the earwax stays in there!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've been doing it for around 4 days, admittedly I was expecting it to be unblocked quite soon after starting the process. I may just be impatient though and it could take weeks for it to unclear
I've been doing it for around 4 days, admittedly I was expecting it to be unblocked quite soon after starting the process. I may just be impatient though and it could take weeks for it to unclear

Or you can book another appointment and get it over and done with by next week?

Posted from TSR Mobile
punch your ear
Your doctor can do the syringing thing yes, I had to have it done (but at a walk-in doctors surgery) when my ear ended up completely blocked by earwax.

You can by some over the counter earwax un..blocking..stuff.. also which should help in the future.
Olive oil, and go dr's to get them syringed x

You should if you want to get rid of it asap. I had to wait a month for the hospital to contact me, you should do it quickly :smile: won't it be easier to get the nurse to remove the wax at once instead of waiting, and hoping, for the ear wax to go by itself?
You should if you want to get rid of it asap. I had to wait a month for the hospital to contact me, you should do it quickly :smile: won't it be easier to get the nurse to remove the wax at once instead of waiting, and hoping, for the ear wax to go by itself?

Forgot to mention that your way problem might not be serious enough to go to the hospital. Just go to the gp to get it over with ^_^
my brother once bought this medicine from the Chemist and he dropped this liquid in his ear and it all foamed up. He then used a sucker and sucked the foamy stuff out of his ear. But i have no idea what the medicine was called.

Quick Reply

Latest