The Student Room Group

Uni snobs

I sometimes see people on this site sneering at some of the unis people go to (including the one I went to) isn't the best uni the one where you feel happy I mean sure it may be low in the league tables but that doesn't mean it's a bad uni.

My main issue is some people are put off applying to these unis by the snobs and fall into the trap of applying to somewhere they don't actually like just because they have been told where they actually want to go is a bad uni.

the best uni is where your happy and doing well surely it's down to the person.
Absolutely! The snobbery on this forum is astounding (and quite frankly even disgusting). As long as you're happy and enjoying uni, that's all that matters. Some people may have the academics to go somewhere "better", but may feel unhappy at these "top" unis. The "Russell Group or nothing" group need to wake up and realise that there is more to life, and it most certainly does not make you a better person for being at a "better" uni.

For me, Plymouth was the best uni- because I'm happy there, love it, and wouldn't swap places with anyone for the world.
Don't agree with this part, but the rest is sound
St Andrews is the best uni for me. It may lie in a small town which isn't to everybody's taste and it may be known as the "bubble" because we're pretty isolated over on the east coast but it is home for me and I absolutely love it. I love the close knit community and the motivation of some incredible intelligent people as well as the diversity of the student body.

But it's not to everyone's taste and I can accept that and move on.
Its what you do AFTER graduating that matters really. You could attend a top 10 Russell group university but if you dont have it in you to stand out as an indiviudal then your university prestige wont get you far.
Original post by the terminator
Its what you do AFTER graduating that matters really. You could attend a top 10 Russell group university but if you dont have it in you to stand out as an indiviudal then your university prestige wont get you far.

Yes but if your university doesn't prepare you as well for industry or like in some fields prestige does matter then that's going to affect what you can do after graduating.
Original post by Helloworld_95
Yes but if your university doesn't prepare you as well for industry or like in some fields prestige does matter then that's going to affect what you can do after graduating.

Excellent point there, but this is something like a private school and state school situation that I see it as.

A kid from a state school will obviously not have the strong foundation and support as a private school kid would have for example, but if a kid has it in them to excel they will do so from any institution.There is only so much that you can be taught.

All in all going to be a prestigious university is obviously very beneficial, but this is not say that somebody who doesn't attend one is limited in hope and chances to do well too.

Just my opinion of this all.
I did a Btec both BND and HND and then a degree you do realise if you fail 1 unit you fail the entire thing right where as in A level you can fail a subject and still leave with a qualification or two.
Reply 8
I mean, you made a judgement on thousands of people you have never met based upon your isolated experiences, you're not really qualified to judge whether most btec students are lazy or don't try hard.
I'd say some BTEC's aren't worth it but for subjects like electronics or computing you must admit actually gaining skills like soldering or coding is a huge part of it because you'll need those skills in uni and that is kind of why they exist but doing one in say history or classics if they exist yeah that would be dumb.

Latest

Trending

Trending