The Student Room Group

Gap year - job interview

I'm in my gap year and looking for work and have a job interview on saturday morning at a local co-op. The main problem I have is that I know in a lot of interviews they can ask young people what their future plans are or if they have intentions of going to university etc and I've had a mixed response from people I know about what exactly I should say.

Some people I've spoken to have said to briefly mention university as being an option and then some people have said that I should just straight up lie. But I feel weird telling the person who's going to interview me that my future aspirations are to work in retail or work up the ladder in their company when I know that I'm going to be leaving for university come September?? But I know that it could lower my chances of getting the job if they know I'd be leaving in 7 or so months.

This may seem petty, but is there any advice you guys can give me in terms of what would be the best thing to say if I get questioned on my future plans??
Reply 1
It's much better to tell the truth and say you're on a gap year and looking for work to help support you for when you go to university. If you lie and say you want to stay in retail forever, it can cause some conflict when you have to leave for uni and the last thing you want is a bad work reference, trust me I have one hahahaha
they may also be willing to work around your uni schedule in retail so its always worth being up front. if not try sainsburys or KFC theyre places my friends work and theyre so accommodating in terms of what days they need off or what shift work they want to do around uni and they completely don't care about student leaving them as long as they do a good job while theyre working for them
At my Sainsburys interview I was asked and I said I'd be going uni next year and my interview was terminated because they said I couldn't commit to the hours once I'm at uni, lol.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending