The Student Room Group

Looking for MSc Finance & Investment.

Hello everyone.

Looking for some great advises regarding the final choice of uni.

I'm a danish citizen just finished a bachelor degree in finance, average 3,72 GPA.

Looking for a great MSc Finance & Investment degree - max. cost = 11.000 £ due to self-funding.

I'd like to work with equities through research and/or trading. The programme should involve some modules of investment analysis as well as being practice oriented through use of Bloomberg/Reuter terminal (to practice trading skills/strategies).

I've been looking at degrees at the following:
Newcastle Uni - MA International Financial Analysis

Loughborough - Finance & Investment

Glasgow - Asset pricing & Investment... Investment banking & finance..

Any of you have any experience about one or more of these degrees / universities?

Or could you recommend something better?

Prefer to live in a bigger city (know Lboro isn't).

Look forward to hearing from you,
Joaquin
Reply 1
Furthermore I'd like to know the importance of ratings from your point of view?
Reply 2
I support the idea of Fit first, then ranking. Good idea to combine traditional investment analysis with Bloomberg simulated trading room to learn trading strategies. I think TraderEx software is popular. What methods of investment analysis do you prefer. Value Investing a la Dodd or Fama's Market Efficiency Hypothesis?

Glasgow is an excellent choice and it has Bloomberg room. I am not too familiar with Loughborough and Newcastle.

Unfortunately your budget cap rules out some established strong programmes (LSE, WBS, Cass, Imperial).

Henley's ICMA would be a good fit for you, strong in investment and trading. Good industry contacts. The tuition is £22,000, but applicants with 2:1 (=3.4 GPA) may receive 50% scholarships. With a scholarship, ICMA is doable for you. Balance of theory and practice, well regarded in the City. Popular with international students. Possibly one of the best simulated trading rooms with plenty resources. One can learn advanced methods of trading.

MSc Investment & Finance at Birmingham Uni and Cardiff have simulated Bloomberg trading rooms, good unis, urban cities, within your budget and send some grads to the City.

Good luck.
Reply 3
Hi Tcannon.

Great answers, thank you. Did/do you go to Henley ?

Prefer the value investing theory, however I'm pretty interested in learning more about both - good to see things from more than one point of view.

Recently been in contact with Newcastle as well as Loughborough. Newcastle offer trading rooms with Bloomberg terminals, while Lboro offer Reuter terminals - I don't think it matters if it is one or another?

Could you be able to tell more about Glasgow? It keeps interesting me because of the excellent uni, the chance to combine traditional investment analysis with Bloomberg simulated trading room, and the city of Glasgow.

Best wishes,
Joaquin
Reply 4
Anyone with a take on one or more of these programmes? Which one to prefer when looking for a career in equity research and/or trading? Bloomberg terminal must be part of the programme.

http://www.gla.ac.uk/postgraduate/taught/assetpricinginvestment/

http://www.gla.ac.uk/postgraduate/taught/investmentbankingfinance/

http://www.strath.ac.uk/courses/postgraduatetaught/investmentfinance/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending