The Student Room Group

Predicting exam questions

Hi,

I hope exam season and revision in general is going well for everyone.

Anyways, I was just wondering if there is a way of "question spotting". Don't get me wrong I have done a lot of revision for an upcoming exam - but I want to be prepared for the worst.

This lecturer put up at least 4 past papers, but did not upload the solutions last years paper. I have done the paper and compared my answers with the lecturer (he verifies the answer and tells me where I went wrong). Someone asked for the answers for this paper - but he did not respond to them and when I asked him before he said he won't be posting answers.

Now, does this mean that questions will be the same/similar to last years paper?

Thanks
Reply 1
I notice you are doing Computer Science and in your final year.. And that someone asked the papers for last year's paper but didn't respond... and that 4 papers were uploaded and last year's was not uploaded.

Which could mean you are at the same university as me ... May I ask you what module the exam is for?

But anyway there is a pattern at my uni. I analyze past exam papers and notice that they tend to repeat or recycle previous exam questions as well. It's not just for one exam but I noticed it for every other exam I did. Please don't rely too heavily on this though, your lecturer could easily could change it up.

edit: If you're at City University then well.. We are talking about the same module LOL
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
You don't want to predict you want to study hard otherwise you'll bitterly regret it.
Just slowly study everything, starting with the obvious ones then go into more detailed ones. Best wishes
That is risky assumption to make - perhaps that is his practice every year, to not release solutions to the most recent paper?
For my only exam for uni, they gave us the topics and strong hints as to what the questions could be so that we could prepare an a4 double sided reference sheet for the exam. We then just answered the question set in our own way. :smile:
Original post by stuser
Hi,

I hope exam season and revision in general is going well for everyone.

Anyways, I was just wondering if there is a way of "question spotting". Don't get me wrong I have done a lot of revision for an upcoming exam - but I want to be prepared for the worst.

This lecturer put up at least 4 past papers, but did not upload the solutions last years paper. I have done the paper and compared my answers with the lecturer (he verifies the answer and tells me where I went wrong). Someone asked for the answers for this paper - but he did not respond to them and when I asked him before he said he won't be posting answers.

Now, does this mean that questions will be the same/similar to last years paper?

Thanks

questions a re often reworked or reused year by year the best way to predict the questions that will come up is to look at the exam papers and see what is asked and how often questions on a particular topic come up in fact in my final year a question came up that a recognised from a past paper the year before (the exam set the year before I wasn't doing a resit)
Reply 6
There's no way of predicting exam questions and it's dangerous to focus revision based on such guesses. At my undergrad uni there were occasionally themes which cropped up two or three years in a row, but sometimes there was no continuity. Even revision lecture content couldn't be relied on, as sometimes lecturers would cover topics not directly addressed in the forthcoming exams.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending