The Student Room Group

Mature Students 2017 University Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 280
Original post by MMarianne
Hi Damzel,

Yes, I completely changed it, my MA is in Music Business Management (what the heck), my both parents are MPharms, I really don't know why I did not choose a scientific career. Access is going surprisingly ok, however, the administration at my school is horrible, I need to write 4 assignments until 1 of March to be able to finish in June. Yay. Where do you study?

Well at least you're doing science now! Studying at midkent, and there's been so many problems! 2 teachers left, deadlines been pushed back then brought forward, third teacher is off sick, and the whole thing is disorganised!
Better late than never!
[*]What can we call you? Rupert

[*]What are you currently studying/what do you plan on studying before you start Uni? Currently doing and Access to Nursing course

What do you plan on studying at Uni? Adult Nursing

Which Uni's are you looking at applying to? I've applied to Kings, Bucks New, West London, Middlesex and City

If you want to say, how old are you? 34

Anything else you want to say about your plans or dreams?
After a 12 yr career in finance and a wife and two young kids, making the life change was daunting, but it really feels like I'm following a dream. Can't wait to properly get started with uni! Offers have started coming in, but the access course at the moment is relentless!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RupertD
Better late than never!
[*]What can we call you? Rupert

[*]What are you currently studying/what do you plan on studying before you start Uni? Currently doing and Access to Nursing course

What do you plan on studying at Uni? Adult Nursing

Which Uni's are you looking at applying to? I've applied to Kings, Bucks New, West London, Middlesex and City

If you want to say, how old are you? 34

Anything else you want to say about your plans or dreams?
After a 12 yr career in finance and a wife and two young kids, making the life change was daunting, but it really feels like I'm following a dream. Can't wait to properly get started with uni! Offers have started coming in, but the access course at the moment is relentless!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi Rupert!!
Congratulations on your offers!! Where's your first choice? How was your Buckinghamshire New interview?
Original post by Dannie0
Hi Rupert!!
Congratulations on your offers!! Where's your first choice? How was your Buckinghamshire New interview?

Hi! Not sure about my first choice yet - probably Kings but that offer came with some pretty tough conditions! Still have Middlesex and City interviews to go though, and I was pretty impressed by both of those on open days.

The Bucks New selection day was one of the longer interview days for me with the tests, group interview and individual interview plus lots of waiting in between. The staff and student ambassadors were very friendly though!

Are you going into nursing too?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 284
Hi all,

I did an Access Art & Design last year and went through internal progression with the same uni (different campus) so had an unconditional offer. I deffered till this September because my youngest is still half days till then. I will be studying Illustration & Animation at UCA at Canterbury.
Thank you for this post, good to see other Access students are still waiting too

I'm studying an Access to Social Sciences course, applying to :

Surrey - Law with International Relations (offer of 39Ds)
LSE - Law (have an assessment exam next month)

Still waiting to hear from...
QMUL - Law and Politics
Kings College London - Law, Politics and Philosophy
UCL - Law

Also still waiting for LNAT results .... lots of waiting going on!
Access to Social Science

nothing heard from Stirling uni yet. i have applied for Psychology but a classmate has had 3 offers from there on combined courses. i dont know anyone else who has applied for the same course at the same uni
Original post by Richard0328
Access to Social Science

nothing heard from Stirling uni yet. i have applied for Psychology but a classmate has had 3 offers from there on combined courses. i dont know anyone else who has applied for the same course at the same uni

A friend on my access course, still waiting on Psychology at Stirling uni
Original post by Unicorn13
A friend on my access course, still waiting on Psychology at Stirling uni

this is the first time i have come across anyone else applying for that course there. everyone else seems to be going somewhere else or doing combined degrees. to be fair, i am at college in Livingston since Forth Valley no longer do Social Science courses so it would be easier for them to get to Edinburgh or Glasgow instead of Stirling
this is the first time i have come across anyone else applying for that course there. everyone else seems to be going somewhere else or doing combined degrees. to be fair, i am at college in Livingston since Forth Valley no longer do Social Science courses so it would be easier for them to get to Edinburgh or Glasgow instead of Stirling

He has applied to a couple of other University as well but not heard from any of them yet.
He has applied to a couple of other University as well but not heard from any of them yet.

Napier was quick with at least 3 people on my course (8 of us are SWAP students) and someone got 3 offers a few days ago but i dont know which universities she applied for
Original post by RupertD
Hi! Not sure about my first choice yet - probably Kings but that offer came with some pretty tough conditions! Still have Middlesex and City interviews to go though, and I was pretty impressed by both of those on open days.

The Bucks New selection day was one of the longer interview days for me with the tests, group interview and individual interview plus lots of waiting in between. The staff and student ambassadors were very friendly though!

Are you going into nursing too?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I applied for adult nursing at Middlesex, Buckinghamshire New, Surrey, LSBU and Essex

Kings would be pretty great! But difficult also!
Was buckinghamshire new difficult? Or just long? I have their interview in a few weeks and nervous for it!!
Napier was quick with at least 3 people on my course (8 of us are SWAP students) and someone got 3 offers a few days ago but i dont know which universities she applied for

That's really good, hopefully Stirling will get their finger out soon.
That's really good, hopefully Stirling will get their finger out soon.

hopefully. i am going to the study skills day next monday (i will really miss double maths that day :colone:) just for the excuse to be on site for a few hours. i am using it as a dry run for public transport too. i refuse to pay £5 per day to park there when the train would cost about the same but with a lot less hassle. it will let me wander around town too since it has changed a lot over the years. i am from Stirling originally
Original post by Dannie0
I applied for adult nursing at Middlesex, Buckinghamshire New, Surrey, LSBU and Essex

Kings would be pretty great! But difficult also!
Was buckinghamshire new difficult? Or just long? I have their interview in a few weeks and nervous for it!!

Bucks was alright. Don't be nervous -Everyone was pretty friendly. There were the tests followed by a presentation on the nursing course. Then there's a group discussion and the individual interview.

Just make sure you bring everything they've asked you to bring: ID, certificates, photocopies, and the academic health article (from a medical journal, not a newspaper article like I brought in!)

The only downside was that the offer I got from Bucks was identical to the one from Kings!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RupertD
Bucks was alright. Don't be nervous -Everyone was pretty friendly. There were the tests followed by a presentation on the nursing course. Then there's a group discussion and the individual interview.

Just make sure you bring everything they've asked you to bring: ID, certificates, photocopies, and the academic health article (from a medical journal, not a newspaper article like I brought in!)

The only downside was that the offer I got from Bucks was identical to the one from Kings!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh! Was the tests hard? How did you find both of the interviews?

I'll make sure I find a medical journal article!

Which offer did you get from Kings/Buckinghamshire New? Kings would be pretty brilliant!
Hello!

I'm doing an Access to HE in Humanities & Social Science and have applied to study English at:

Goldsmith (offer - 30 D)
Queen Mary (offer - 15 D & 15 M)
Sussex (pending)
UCL(pending)
King's (pending)

If I receive an offer from Sussex, I will have a hard time deciding whether to stay in London or move to Brighton. Is anyone else in the same boat? :smile:
Original post by Dannie0
Ahh! Was the tests hard? How did you find both of the interviews?

I'll make sure I find a medical journal article!

Which offer did you get from Kings/Buckinghamshire New? Kings would be pretty brilliant!

The tests weren't too difficult, but the literacy one looked at your emotional intelligence on top of the usual spelling, grammar, etc. That was a bit different to other literacy tests I've done.

The interviews were relaxed. I made sure I spoke up enough during the group one, while letting others speak too. And the individual one was slightly daunting at first when you sit in front of 3 interviewers, but they put you at ease and you can get on with selling yourself!

Kings and Bucks have both asked for 30 distinctions and 12 merits from my access course. Tough! I'm gonna be working flat out over the next 4 months!
Original post by Longy2076
Hello Mike

It's nice to hear from a fellow veteran. I my self served 5 years in the army, signed up at the age of 18. I am now 29 years old and I start University this September. What I am saying is pal, you are never to old, you are not different from anyone else in terms of fitting in.

You will be surprised and yet eased to discover mature students at the ages above there 40s and beyond. I really admire people to have the courage to seek HE after so many years.

I was thinking the same as you a few months ago, but I'm confident things will be fine, and there will be people from all walks of life like your self.

Have good ventures Mike, and embrace your time in University 👍

Cheers mate,

Nice to see that someone else is in the same boat as me. Glad to know it's not just me. Time to show these kids how to drink!

Wish you the best of luck!
Reply 299
I am just curious if anyone can explain the offers. I have looked at the Acces to HE table and all credits are in batches of 15, yet some people are quoting offers with 27 credits etc. How does this work?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending