The Student Room Group

• Babs' Road to 4 As •

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by greys-anatomy
Literally i stg maths and history are the devils subjects:devil3:, I have my S1 mock tomorrow and then my C1 mock on Monday and my History mocks next monday and Friday also :frown: wish me luck haha.
Im also aiming for 4A's and got 3A*s and 10A's at GCSE - so we're practically twins already :cool:

What topics are you studying in History?

Haha they really are! :tongue:

Although I personally think History is so much worse... I'm studying S1 too and that is super hard tbh. Best of luck with your mocks though, you'll smash them! :smile:

I'm studying Civil Rights in America and Apartheid in South Africa! They're actually really interesting but because it's history, it's sooo much work.
Original post by Babs Posh
Haha they really are! :tongue:

Although I personally think History is so much worse... I'm studying S1 too and that is super hard tbh. Best of luck with your mocks though, you'll smash them! :smile:

I'm studying Civil Rights in America and Apartheid in South Africa! They're actually really interesting but because it's history, it's sooo much work.

damn those topics actually seem interesting haha
Im here doing Fascism in Italy and Weimar and Nazi Germany.
There's so much to learn with Germany - and it doesnt really help when you have a teacher who 'doesn't believe in the specification' because they think its all wrong. :angry:
When do you think you're going to start properly revising for the June exams?
Reply 22
There's so much to learn with Germany - and it doesnt really help when you have a teacher who 'doesn't believe in the specification' because they think its all wrong. :angry:

Oo they sound fun! I did Nazi Germany at GCSE and really enjoyed it, albeit it was my weakest topic. Aw that's a shame, it might help if you make your own notes and go through the textbook at your own pace, if there is a particular thing you don't understand your teacher ~hopefully~ will help you! :smile:

Oh god I have no idea... I'd really like to properly start in the February half term. I'm away for half of it but I still don't know how to organise/go about it :tongue:
Original post by Babs Posh
02/02/16

So I haven't updated in a while, oops! Nothing major has happened really, I want to start revising now but I don't know where to start as I can't stick to timetables :s-smilie: I haven't had much homework either...

But today I managed to revise what I've done in C2 so far - sequences and series! I don't think it was taught very well, but I feel like I understand it now after looking back :biggrin: Examsolutions is a life saver I swear!

This week I want to revise the whole unit of Elections and Voting in Politics, because it's probably one of my weakest topics. I need to catch up on some South Africa notes because I'm somehow missing loads, start making revision notes for English which will take forever, as well as start to read Beloved which I'm now studying in Englih... yay. :sigh:

I'm so nervous as I get my mock results on Thursday (4th)... eek! Apparently I don't have any Us which I'm happy with, I just hope this is true haha. I'd really like to pass all of my subjects but for some reason I don't think it will happen :frown: Just means more motivation to revise, right? :bricks:

106 days to go! (Stolen your idea @jamestg, soz)

:party:

I just about forgive you :wink:

FELLOW HISTORY STUDENT STUDYING THE EXACT SAME UNITS, we are now study buddies

How far are you through Germany? We're still on consent and control.
Reply 25
04/02/16

I got my mock results back today and omg!!! :banana::banana:

Maths: A

History: B

English Lit: B

Politics: B

I'm so so happy! In perspective they're probably not the best idk, but I didn't actually put that amount of work into them and so I was pleasantly surprised. In the AS mocks prediction thread I thought I would get CDDD... turns out I was one of the students on top :dance:

I had double politics and history today and these lessons were basically spent reviewing the mocks... I was 2 marks off an A in politics which is quite annoying but I'll get over it, it means I'm defo on my way to (hopefully) getting 4 As :smartass:Also thinking about it, in one of my English mocks I only wrote one and a half paragraphs... so I'm guessing my teacher was extremely lenient haha.

I also told myself that after Jan mocks I'd figure out what subject to drop and now I have no clue :frown: I was going to naively take on all 4 into A2 but I want to take AS Further Maths next year as well since I think that's what I want to do at uni. Ahhhh so confused, it's between English and Politics and well, I have no idea!

Anywaysssss I'm feeling making some flashcards (which I don't really know how to do) on something, just to feel productive. I'll probably revise some Politics I guess, I REALLY need to revise English though as it's my weakest one but I don't even know where to start :cry:Any help would be greatly appreciated.

104 days to go now! I'm more motivated to revise which is good... I guess. :tongue:
Omg, we got the same in GCSE, and I put in minimal effort as well! lol :/

But anyway, congrats on your mock results, you are well on your way to your goal and I hope you achieve them. :smile:
Reply 27
Original post by adesola15
Omg, we got the same in GCSE, and I put in minimal effort as well! lol :/

But anyway, congrats on your mock results, you are well on your way to your goal and I hope you achieve them. :smile:

Haha, wish I could still get away with it at a level!

Thank you so much! :smile: What subjects are you taking at the moment?
I'm also striving for an A in AS History and English Lit. What books are you studying in English? I'm doing Hamlet, A Streetcar Named Desire, The Great Gatsby and then poetry (we haven't decided who yet) ^-^

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
Original post by zombie-dance
I'm also striving for an A in AS History and English Lit. What books are you studying in English? I'm doing Hamlet, A Streetcar Named Desire, The Great Gatsby and then poetry (we haven't decided who yet) ^-^

I'm studying A Streetcar Named Desire, Dracula and for poetry it's the poems of the decade anthology :smile: What topics do you study in history?
The Cold War and Pitt to Peel :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
08/02/16

I haven't updated for a while, oops!

Over the weekend I didn't do any work because I wanted to give myself a break haha, I want to start proper revision in the February half term so it's kind of a 'calm before the storm' thing :tongue:

Today however I was super productive! Over half term I have 3 essays to do and lots of homework so I managed to get an essay out of the way today :smile: It was a politics one: Assess the strengths of the arguments in favour of a fully elected House of Lords (40)

This week I want to try and finish another essay, probably the other politics one so it's done and dusted! Ideally I wanted to complete all my half term homework before half term, I go to New York on Wednesday and don't come back until Monday so was hoping to have a bit of a break when I get back... guess not!

100 days to go... :musicus:
Reply 32
16/02/16

Ohhhh god I haven't updated in so long... I came back from New York yesterday for which I didn't do any work and I slept pretty much all day yesterday and am still a bit jet lagged, it was fab though! :yay:

I want to get all of my half term homework out of the way before starting to revise but there's so much!! I have to do 3 essays (2 from Politics - Unit 2, History - South Africa) and lots of lessons to catch up with... it doesn't sound like much but trust me it is! :redface:

Anyway I managed to get SOMETHING done today... I completed a history lesson on the impact of broadcast news on US society in the 1960s, which was very interesting! I also started planning politics questions, although I only did one :frown: If anyone is interested I've attached it but it's super messy and unneat (idk if that's a word..), but I've decided that I spend too long making my work look pretty so I'm trying to cut down on it, as much as it kills me to do so!

Tomorrow I hope to finish my 2 remaining essays as I've completed one of them, this is very ambitious but even if I manage to plan both I'll be content. I want to finish all remaining bitty pieces of homework that I have from various subjects, so hopefully I can start revising on Thursday. I have 2 quite hefty tests to revise for the first week back: Constitution in Politics and USA Theme 3 in History... I'll try revising them thoroughly but I think I'll end up running out of time so will probably just do lots of practice questions :tongue:

Hope everyone is having a fab half term so far... 92 days to go, eek! :sad:
Reply 33
17/02/16

I was actually super productive today in the time that I actually did work, I only solidly did homework for about 3 hours - I wasn't able to focus as well as I could because I'm still a bit jet lagged :frown:

I made progress on some South Africa notes about the problems the National Party faced, it's taken me FOREVER because there's just so much of it and it's really hard to understand too. I've attached one page of it, I've done about 3 more pages and I'm about half way... ugh! I then have to write an essay on it, oh the joys.

However I did a maths C1 past paper (May 2005... starting from the beginning of time) and got an A! :biggrin: It was 62/72 so there's definitely room for improvement but I'm starting to understand the style of the questions now so hopefully I'll gradually do better the more I do.

I didn't get either of the essays done that I wanted to do, but hopefully tomorrow I'll power through and at least finish one, because I've just realised how little (ish) left there is of half term - noooo :frown:

Anyway I'm gonna call it a night and watch an episode of prison break to try and make me feel better... 91 days to go - scary stuff!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 34
19/02/16

So I didn't post anything yesterday because basically... I didn't really do much. Nothing. It will probably come to the end of the year on results day and I'll wonder why I have failed :angry:

But today I was a bit more productive and did 2 practice essay questions for English Lit... I'm not really sure how I did it but here I am. They were both on A Streetcar Named Desire which I enjoy and find a lot easier to analyse in comparison to Dracula so that's probs how I coped. I've also NEARLY finished my politics essay on the constitutional reforms, I have 1 more paragraph to do and a conclusion so hopefully I can finish that as soon as possible tomorrow because I have so much to do... I literally don't know how I'm going to get everything done, need to sort my life out :s-smilie:

I have no plans for this weekend, SO I intend to get everything done so that I can actually start revising. I have a history essay due in on Friday which I've done the introduction to, but I have a politics end of unit test on the constitution to revise for Wednesday so I'm thinking of getting the essay done afterwards. I have to read a book (Beloved) by Tuesday which I know isn't going to happen ugh, gonna have to read up on some summaries and try read it at a later date - I can't wait to drop English Lit... hate it so much :frown: I think that's all the essential work I have to do by next week so it's definitely achievable!

89 days to go... I'm so scared but not motivated to do anything about it. :cry::cry:
It's alright!! :smile: YOU CAN DO IT!!:banana:
Reply 36
22/02/16

So I haven't updated in a few days as I've been super super busy, first days back always are, but you know it's all the hectic revision I've been doing... :wink2:

I've actually done a fair bit of revision on politics, I'll attach some of my mind maps I've put on my walls in the study so I can have a quick glance whilst procrastinating. I'm not really sure if they help me but I'm sure time will tell. I've also done a few practice questions because I have a slight idea on what the assessment will be on, I'll probs do more intense revision tomorrow because I admit I'm a crammer...

I haven't really had any grades back, but I've just realised it's 4 weeks until Easter and I'm SO scared - I literally feel so unprepared! Does anyone else feel the same? What the hell? Haha.

I've been staying at school until 5.30 now so I actually am productive and don't sleep, eat etc as soon as I get home. I really need to bump up my revision, especially for English because tbh I don't even know what's going on in that subject. :stupid: ... I have an obsession with the emojis on here.

Anyways long story short (to ignore my pointless rambling) not much has happened in lessons and I've got to the stage in the school year where you panic about how close exams are but don't actually prepare. Hopefully my attitude will change once I'm back in the swing of things. :smile:

86 days to go! Make everyday count, they say...
Reply 37
23/02/16

Today has not been that interesting, it's been the type of day where I just finish the odd piece of homework that I've mysteriously left in the hope of it finishing by itself :K:

Although I did have a lecture today by someone from Cambridge to talk to a select few of us about where and how to about applying for Oxbridge (ngl I felt pretty smart), I would love to apply but I feel like that's just too ambitious for me :frown: it's kind of made me contemplate what I want to do at uni as well, I want to do a maths degree but I'm not taking further maths and I'm not really that good at anything else ugh. Lifeeeeee

I have a politics test tomorrow on the Constitution and I'm really hoping it goes well, I seem to crumble under pressure but I'm gonna try work on it! I've done some practice questions and planned a few essays so fingers crossed. I still have an essay for history due in on Friday that I need to do at some point, it's one of my weaker subjects so I'd preferably not like to leave it until the night before but it's inevitable. I can feel it.

Honestly though I just want to start revising now but I keep getting SO much homework that I keep getting sidetracked! If I try and do both I get too tired and start becoming lethargic and giving up :frown: I should really make a timetable but I never stick to them because I'm rubbish at making them haha!

Tomorrow I want to get these stuffs done:

:bubbles:Finish consolidating the Constitution unit

:bubbles:Finish S1 homework on tree diagrams (the devil! :angry:)

:bubbles:Start formulating notes/quote banks for Beloved

85 days to go! You can do it peeps! :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 38
06/03/16

Ahhhh I'm beating myself up for not posting that regularly, I've been so busy and exhausted; I normally update at night and I kept falling asleep - oops :redface: I'm going to update every day from now on considering how close it is to exams now.

I've made myself a revision timetable for March (which I've attached) in hope that I'll stick to it... I always make one and just tend to ignore it because it becomes too unrealistic, but instead of restricting it to time I've made myself small goals to achieve a certain topic/unit that day. I feel so unorganised this year and considering there's only 2 months until exams, that's not good haha!

Over this week I've been bogged down (is this a phrase? lol) in so much homework that it's kinda clouded any chance of revision, but I've managed to revise some of the Parliament unit for Politics. I tend to prefer making mind maps, whether they work or not idk but I think they have so far, I'll attach one that I've done. On Thursday I went to a 'Congress to Campus' programme where 2 former members of Congress came to give a talk at Oxford Uni and it was super interesting - I didn't do any work that day haha.

Oh also I got an essay back from History, it was a source one on South Africa and I got 16/20! I think it's one mark off an A but nevertheless I'm super happy, I probably won't pull that out the bag in the exam but it's definitely a start. Over the last few days I've managed to go over sequences and series in C2 because it just hurts my head, and a bit of S1 but I know I'm going to struggle with that unit... ugh life.

Today is Mother's Day so how much I'll actually done will probably be minimal, but I want to get done:

:bubbles: Finish history homework/cover lesson

:bubbles: C1 past paper: June 2006

:bubbles: Actually revise for English, rather than ignoring the subject...

73 days to go... :cry2:
Reply 39
12/03/16

I swear I'm working my butt off... I'm just far too lazy to update y'all on it. Not sure why I've gone American.

Recently I've been getting to school at 7.30am and leaving at 5.30pm and working continually through all my frees etc, and have been feeling so much better about it. I'm telling myself I'm not crazy; I've got into a habit where when I'm at home I do no work whatsoever and so I think it's beneficial if I just stay at school for longer.

This week has been quite hectic tbh because I was really tempted to drop a subject (English Lit... dbdghdhdjrifofjf the stress) as I'm thinking of doing AS Further Maths next year anyway. I guess it's stupid to drop it so close to exams but I don't think I'm going to get a good grade in it :cry2: Anyway I've decided to continue it but will probs regret it idk

I had 2 essays from Politics given back and got 40/40 and 39/40 which I was rather chuffed with, although I had a mock in one of the lessons and it was literally the worst thing that I've ever written - so that will be fun. I found out the result of another Politics mock that I did back in January haha and got an A so that was pretty cool. I haven't really been assessed in any of my other subjects, but I did do a C1 mock on Wednesday and although it wasn't the worst it certainly wasn't the best. Kinda just need to work my ass off now and hope for the best... seriously doubting everything atom but I guess that is normal???!!!!

67 days to go.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending