The Student Room Group

Social Anxiety and Uni? ADVICE NEEDED

Hey guys,
I'm considering going to uni next year, however, my (social) anxiety is putting me off.
Any tips on how I can overcome it in time for the next application season?

NOTE: I was initially an outgoing person who didn't let my shyness get in the way. Now I find it difficult to make friends and communicate with people. Any tips on making friends too? U_U I feel like a completely different person and I want the old me back
Original post by thecaramelcat
Hey guys,
I'm considering going to uni next year, however, my (social) anxiety is putting me off.

NOTE: I was initially an outgoing person who didn't let my shyness get in the way. Now I find it difficult to make friends and communicate with people. Any tips on making friends too? U_U I feel like a completely different person and I want the old me back

Are we the same person? :curious:. I literally feel exactly the same. It wasn't a problem for me when I was younger, but as I grew older in my teenage years, social anxiety slowly crept into my life and it killed a big part of my social life.
I got through uni with minimal "social life", I just focused on getting my degree.
Reply 3
First things first,

Volunteer, this could be anything, this could be a hobby or something that involves the community, be friendly, talk to people, ask how they got into it and so on so forth.

You could also try volunteering at an old people's home to improve your social skills.

Talk to everyone, at the bus stop, people walking you buy, at the shops, ask how they are.

Join clubs, start mingling with people, introduce yourself and ask what made they go into that, their interests, ambitions, how was their day, week, have they got any plans for the week ahead, how was their weekend, ask about their family, ask things in general like how do you find what's happening with x in the world today?

At uni when at lectures or seminars, ask about how they find the topic, what made them choose the course, tell them you will see them around.
Original post by thecaramelcat
Hey guys,

Most universities offer mental health services who you can go to if you are struggling to cope or feel you need help/ someone to talk to. So if you do find yourself overwhelmed you have them to go to.

I'd say best thing to do (and it was for me) is to not completely avoid things that make you anxious, it only makes it worse in the long term. Get out more, talk to shop assistants, talk to people at bus stops ect. Just interact with people as much as you can, small steps at first if it gets too much. If you struggle to do even the smallest of steps though I recommend speaking to your GP and asking for a referral for help with anxiety, though you could just to this anyway and it will probably help.
Original post by Drax101
First things first,

Volunteer, this could be anything, this could be a hobby or something that involves the community, be friendly, talk to people, ask how they got into it and so on so forth.

You could also try volunteering at an old people's home to improve your social skills.

Talk to everyone, at the bus stop, people walking you buy, at the shops, ask how they are.

Join clubs, start mingling with people, introduce yourself and ask what made they go into that, their interests, ambitions, how was their day, week, have they got any plans for the week ahead, how was their weekend, ask about their family, ask things in general like how do you find what's happening with x in the world today?

At uni when at lectures or seminars, ask about how they find the topic, what made them choose the course, tell them you will see them around.

Just saw we basically said the same thing about just speaking to as many people as possible. It really does help!
Li
Original post by DeadEnd_96
Are we the same person? :curious:. I literally feel exactly the same. It wasn't a problem for me when I was younger, but as I grew older in my teenage years, social anxiety slowly crept into my life and it killed a big part of my social life.

Literally omg. Same here! It's so weird bc I've actually forgotten how to be social :frown: I've never had this issue
Reply 7
I've become the opposite lol
Started off as quiet and then gained confidence over the years.

Try to make friends from freshers week.
Just go up to people and be the first to make conservation.
That's literally all I did.
You'll be sharing your classes with mostly the same people, so sit next to them and talk to them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending