The Student Room Group

how do I overcome social anxiety?

I’ve struggled with social anxiety most of my teen years (I’m 20 now) and I’ve drifted from a lot of my secondary school friends, I only have 2 friends left from secondary and even with those friends we’re not as close. I am starting uni in september and I’m really hoping to make new friends but I have a pattern of being in social situations and avoiding conversations with new people, then end up missing out when others have already formed friendships, I dread this happening at uni because I’m in a new city for 3 years. I guess I’m wondering if anyone has overcome it and what you did?
Reply 1
I had anxiety in my late teens/early twenties. I'm almost 30 now and I'm pleased to say I haven't had any experience of this for at least 8 years now (In my words - I kinda got over it).

The best advice I can give is to make yourself comfortable with being a little uncomfortable.

It's worth noting that meeting new people, worrying about making friends etc, are all normal feelings. It is appropriate to feel shy, or anxious about setting up a new life in a new city on your own at such a young age.

The moral of the story is to put yourself out there a bit, and it will be bloomin' hard to do. The more you do it, the easier it becomes.

Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by dbhc2411
I had anxiety in my late teens/early twenties. I'm almost 30 now and I'm pleased to say I haven't had any experience of this for at least 8 years now (In my words - I kinda got over it).

The best advice I can give is to make yourself comfortable with being a little uncomfortable.

It's worth noting that meeting new people, worrying about making friends etc, are all normal feelings. It is appropriate to feel shy, or anxious about setting up a new life in a new city on your own at such a young age.

The moral of the story is to put yourself out there a bit, and it will be bloomin' hard to do. The more you do it, the easier it becomes.

Good luck!

Thank you! this is really helpful, especially since you’ve had it in the past but have overcome it, it gives me some hope that I’ll be able to do the same in the future

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending