The Student Room Group

Rhodes must fall campaign backfires.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/12128151/Cecil-Rhodes-statue-to-remain-at-Oxford-University-after-alumni-threatens-to-withdraw-millions.html

-Oriel planning to make redundancies
-Oriel expecting to operate at 200k loss
-Multiple donation losses, adding up to a possible 100 million

Hard left chancers (the same ones who are currently ruining the Labour party :frown: ) scoring an own goal. Comedy ****ing GOLD. :lol:
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Brilliant
Original post by TheGuyReturns
Posted in chat because I wasn't sure if this counts as general news, or UK politics.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/12128151/Cecil-Rhodes-statue-to-remain-at-Oxford-University-after-alumni-threatens-to-withdraw-millions.html

Hard left chancers (the same ones who are currently ruining the Labour party :frown: ) scoring an own goal. Comedy ****ing GOLD. :lol:

What is your obsession with attacking anything related to the right?
It's disheartening to see that society subverts their values and ideals simply because someone threatens to withhold a sum of money.

#moneyterrorists
Original post by TheArtofProtest
It's disheartening to see that society subverts their values and ideals simply because someone threatens to withhold a sum of money.

#moneyterrorists

The students are free to go somewhere else and not take the money if they are so "principled". Besides, I don't see what the problem is with Rhodes in particular anyway... why weren't these students whining about statues of Gandhi (a known racist), or Churchill (another known racist)?
The students are free to go somewhere else and not take the money if they are so "principled". Besides, I don't see what the problem is with Rhodes in particular anyway...

The solution to such a situation is to not tell people to "**** off"...

why weren't these students whining about statues of Gandhi (a known racist), or Churchill (another known racist)?

Give it 20 years.
So the money from rich individuals or organizations is all that mattered and trumped any kind of debate or the will of normal people/students. You are celebrating that? What a crap lefty...

I have no idea who this Cecil dude was, and I;m not fond of all this lets ban everything from students stuff. But come one.

How on earth s this a victory?

The students are free to go somewhere else and not take the money if they are so "principled". Besides, I don't see what the problem is with Rhodes in particular anyway... why weren't these students whining about statues of Gandhi (a known racist), or Churchill (another known racist)?

Well I think Churchill was colossal dick head to be honest. But he makes a good deity in the role this country played in fighting fascism I guess. Also didn't Obama get rid of statue of the guy due to his families history and colonialism? "the students are free to go somewhere else" You sound like a right wing libertarian or Tory.
(edited 8 years ago)
Fantastic form on the part of the donors. It was about time that someone forced the college to stand up to the infantile pack of morons whining about this -- it was never going to do it without prompting.
Reply 8
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
So the money from rich individuals or organizations is all that mattered and trumped any kind of debate or the will of normal people/students. You are celebrating that? What a crap lefty...

I have no idea who this Cecil dude was, and I;m not fond of all this lets ban everything from students stuff. But come one.

How on earth s this a victory?

Well I think Churchill was colossal dick head to be honest. But he makes a good deity in the role this country played in this county fighting fascism I guess. Also didn't Obama get rid of statue of the guy due to his families history and colonialism? "the students are free to go somewhere else" You sound like a right wing libertarian or Tory.

You really should do some research into this campaign then comeback and re-read your post and feel the cringe.
"The students are free to go somewhere else" You sound like a right wing libertarian or Tory.

Well I'd say it's pretty damn weak to accept a Rhodes scholarship and then start whining about Rhodes without boycotting him completely.
Reply 10

A mod edited your message, what was it?
Original post by Josb
A mod edited your message, what was it?

Just an explanation for why this was initially posted in chat.
We have victory!
Reply 13
dear oh dear
Well I'd say it's pretty damn weak to accept a Rhodes scholarship and then start whining about Rhodes without boycotting him completely.

Look, if I had to be so principled I'd have to turn down a scholarship in any of the elitist universities and institutions lol. I aint doing that. TBO I;d rather revolt from within, like parasite that eats its host from the inside out :colone:

Churchill was a racist and general knob who supporting the empire and a load of other crap. But he was our leader when we defeated Nazism. He was charismatic and played a big part in that. We do not have statues of him to celebrate racism. We have to to celebrate our proud history fo standing up to Nazi Germany. We do not use him as a symbol to teach our children to be privileged racist bigots. We also do not sue him to justify owning the world. His mythology is general positive. Fascism bad. We beat it. For liberty and freedom.

Ghandi was a wife beater and racist. But again, we don't idealize him for that. His myth is centered around fighting against colonialism and for kind of social justice in India.

Again I stress I don;t know much but a quick google reveal this Cecil dude and he is pretty much just known for supporting the Empire (albeit he did seem to support reforming ti and making it a bit more democratic) and resistant to its dismantling. He is also a strong suspect for being a white supremacist. Not in the way everyone was at least a bit racist back then. He was a full on racist. Where is the positive myth here we can use to teach our children about?

But fi you went down this route there is loads of statues we'd have to get rid of... It's like how as westerners we look at statues of Lenin in Russia as being a bit weird.

But if I was studying at this place I would find it annoying that this racist knob is what my college is named after.

But thankfully I went to a uni where the figure heads are people like Joule who did things other than being a racist imperialist. Plus the advantage fo going to "crap" uni means it is not as old and pompous so is more modern, so less racism and imperialism celebrating.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TheArtofProtest

#moneyterrorists

So it's dreadful that money stops something stupid happening, but it would be brilliant if people pretending to be hurt due to their ancestors it is perfectly fine for them to airbrush history?
Look, if I had to be so principled I'd have to turn down a scholarship in any of the elitist universities and institutions lol. I aint doing that. TBO I;d rather revolt from within, like parasite that eats its host from the inside out :colone:

Churchill was a racist and general knob who supporting the empire and a load of other crap. But he was our leader when we defeated Nazism. He was charismatic and played a big part in that. We do not have statues of him to celebrate racism. We have to to celebrate our proud history fo standing up to Nazi Germany. We do not use him as a symbol to teach our children to be privileged racist bigots. We also do not sue him to justify owning the world. His mythology is general positive. Fascism bad. We beat it. For liberty and freedom.

Ghandi was a wife beater and racist. But again, we don't idealize him for that. His myth is centered around fighting against colonialism and for kind of social justice in India.

Again I stress I don;t know much but a quick google reveal this Cecil dude and he is pretty much just known for supporting the Empire (albeit he did seem to support reforming ti and making it a bit more democratic) and resistant to its dismantling. He is also a strong suspect for being a white supremacist. Not in the way everyone was at least a bit racist back then. He was a full on racist. Where is the positive myth here we can use to teach our children about?

But fi you went down this route there is loads of statues we'd have to get rid of... It's like how as westerners we look at statues of Lenin in Russia as being a bit weird.

But if I was studying at this place I would find it annoying that this racist knob is what my college is named after.

But thankfully I went to a uni where the figure heads are people like Joule who did things other than being a racist imperialist. Plus the advantage fo going to "crap" uni means it is not as old and pompous so is more modern, so less racism and imperialism celebrating.

I think I've actually been convinced here... awkward.

I still maintain my schadenfreude for the hard left.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Jammy Duel
So it's dreadful that money stops something stupid happening, but it would be brilliant if people pretending to be hurt due to their ancestors it is perfectly fine for them to airbrush history?

The flip side of that is that money allows something stupid to happen as well.

Having just read that article a statue of him was removed in South Africa. I think in that case it is fair enough. We were essentially conquerors then and it wasn't that long ago. We are unique in that we have not been occupied/colonized by a greater power in recent history. It's really easy telling people to just get on with the future from that position. Imagine if the Germans had erected some statues of their leaders when they occupied France and France had to keep them lol.

I think I've actually been convinced here... awkward.

I still maintain my schadenfreude for the hard left.

Despite my awful grammar and spelling :five:

Me too. Although I wouldn't really call it hard left. I dunno what it is but it is whatever the Guardian like to talk about. Spend more time banning statues than tacking class inequality and so on.I don;t necessarily think that is bad, I'm a bit indifferent to it. Plus I like freedom of speech so stop banning people from talking ffs. That whole post was just me being contrarian and playing devils advocate.
(edited 8 years ago)

It's not "celebration" it's recognition that he has an important role to play in history. That's why they are called statues and not memorials.

I opposed it, from a historians view, agreeing with Mary Beard. Revisionism is disgusting. Erasing history because of political correctness is disgusting. It doesn't matter that he was a racist. He played an essential role in shaping the world as it is today. You don't need to agree with his methods to recognise that. It's not a memorial where people go to grieve and worship, it's a statue. It's there to recognise.

Statues are built on commission to commemorate a historical event, or the life of an influential person. He was influential, he deserves one.
(edited 8 years ago)
It's really easy telling people to just get on with the future from that position.

It is indeed. Particularly when they're in our country, at one of our universities, and all of this on the dime of the person they're whinging about.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending