The Student Room Group

Are you the smartest member of your family?

If not, where do you stand?

My family consists only of me and my parents, but I'm still in last place :lol:

You?

Scroll to see replies

3rd. My parents have degrees at masters equivalent, only person below is my younger sister. I know more in certain subjects to my parents but really that's going to be the case with everyone since we do different subjects.

edit: in terms of equivalent age I am the smartest at my age, though at GCSE not sure but my sister is doing better at GCSE standard than me, don't know about my parents at this stage).
(edited 8 years ago)
of course :sexface:
Yes (relative to age - my parents have degrees and I'm 15 so obviously they know more than me)

dad has degree from RG uni and masters
mum has degree (only got a 2:2 tho)
sister got 9A*s 4As at GCSE and ABB in extra AS levels we did in y11 currently predicted A*AAB at A level
little sister has not taken gcses yet

i got 11A*S 2As in GCSE and AAA in extra AS levels we did in year 11 and currently predicted A*A*A*A* at a level:tongue:
(edited 8 years ago)
In terms of IQ, yes (at least so far)

But if you count worldly smarts, then of course not
Reply 5
I'm probably third in a family of 9 🙈
No way :lol:

For instance, my parents are both Oxford grads, and they've both been really successful with their respective careers. It's unlikely that I'll be able to match either of them. Not to mention a few of our relatives who've done some pretty awesome things....

But none of that really bothers me tbh :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Yes, I'm an undergraduate and the first person in my family to go to university.
My honest estimate of my family member's IQs:

Mum:100
Dad:95
Sister:125
Me:125
Brother:115
Yes very smart. I've secured spot number one
Original post by CantGainWeight

Poor Dad. Well at least he's smarter than George Bush, with his worrying score of 91.
Original post by ZuluK
I'm probably third in a family of 9 🙈

Certainly better than being 3rd in a family of 3 like me :lol:

Original post by Indeterminate
No way :lol:

For instance, my parents are both Oxford-educated, and they've both been really successful with their respective careers. It's unlikely that I'll be able to match either of them. Not to mention a few of our relatives who've done some pretty awesome things....

But none of that really bothers me tbh :biggrin:

Wow, that's impressive! :eek:

But Imperial is pretty much equal to Oxford these days so you've done ok :tongue:

I wonder how your parents would react to this :lol:
Original post by RDB1826
Poor Dad. Well at least he's smarter than George Bush, with his worrying score of 91.

First of all I'm surprised George Bush's IQ is that high.
Well, considering 100 is average nowadays, I wouldn't say my parents are doing too badly. We all have strengths and weaknesses, though.
First of all I'm surprised George Bush's IQ is that high.
Well, considering 100 is average nowadays, I wouldn't say my parents are doing too badly. We all have strengths and weaknesses, though.

Actually now you've mentioned it, I do agree that George Bush's reported IQ seems to be too high. :cookie:
Original post by RDB1826
Actually now you've mentioned it, I do agree that George Bush's reported IQ seems to be too high. :cookie:

I remember some guy comparing George Bush to the Vice president during his presidency, Dick Cheney.
"Dick Cheney might have been an evil mastermind, but at least he was a master mind."
I think it also goes to show how low the IQ of the average American is, if they voted for him twice. Honestly doubt the average in America is 98.
Well in my household I would say yes, my sister is much too young to tell. None of my parents even did A-Levels and I think my stepdad is probably barely at GCSE level, so in terms of conventional intelligence it would be the case.

First of all I'm surprised George Bush's IQ is that high.Well, considering 100 is average nowadays, I wouldn't say my parents are doing too badly. We all have strengths and weaknesses, though.

An IQ of 91 is not 'too high' for a US President, I understand you may be joking and he is unpopular but 91 is incredibly low for someone in that position (if this is true), any lower would be quite preposterous.
(edited 8 years ago)
Definitely not. :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think each member of my family is smart in different ways. My mum studied... childhood studies? Or something that like and it's shown in her job and her parenting skills. My dad is quite money savvy, interested in finance and shares etc. And sister is good at literature, languages, music etc sooo.. :dontknow:
Original post by moment of truth
Definitely not. :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
[video="youtube;Be6tunbRcs8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Be6tunbRcs8[/video]
He is an idiot. Idiots don't have IQs higher than 91.
Dad: CSEs (sort of the same thing as gcses)
Mum: College - child development course
Brother: software development undergrad (non-russell group)
Me: A-levels, uni offers from russell groups for neuroscience

In terms of how advanced our levels of study are, I'm behind my brother, but above my parents. Though if I compare my brother as he was at my age with me, I'd say my science A-levels beat his BTECs, and I've got higher gcse and year 12 grades than him. :P

Quick Reply

Latest