The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hurnyy
Hello.

I would like to know if I can apply for a postgraduate loan after I took a break from my masters degree? My course started in September 2015 and its going well but I had some misfortune.I had two burglaries and lost my savings and belongings. I got all the help I could but I need a break to get a job and just get by but I still want to continue with my studies after I get better.

Will it affect my loan application if I am a full time continuing student with a year break.

Thank you.

There will be postgraduate funding available in the 16/17 academic year. Your circumstances will be reviewed when you apply for student finance with regards to your previous and current studies. For more information on this, please visit www.gov.uk/funding-for-postgraduate-study
Original post by SarahHargreaves
Do nursing students apply for student loans in the same way as everyone else. Due to the nhs bursary, nursing students won't need a loan for tuition fees but still do for living costs.

Hi Sarah,

Yes, nursing students apply for student finance in the same way as other students. There is a question on the application form that asks if you will be in receipt of an NHS bursary.
Original post by izabelka
Does this apply to postgraduate funding as well please?

Hi izabelka,

For information regarding the postgraduate funding application cycle please see http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=21647-Postgraduate-Loans
Hi, I was wondering what kind of proof of income should be given when applying for Student Finance?
Original post by JFurl
I'm wondering exactly what is meant by Household Income and how it's measured. I live with my parents, but am independent and take no money from them in fact pay rent with my girlfriend who also lives with us. I need to know if it's judged on my specific circumstance or just taken on a generic metric like parents income or something.

Household income is measured based on the total financial income of the household you are residing in. Your circumstances will be reviewed upon receipt of your application. If you are under 25 we will be taking in to account your parental income. If you are over 25 then you become Independent, however we may need to consider your partners income depending on your circumstances.

If you’re applying for the part of the Maintenance Loan that depends on your household income, we’ll ask your parents or partner to give us their National Insurance numbers. This means we can automatically check your household income.

In some cases, we may contact your parents or partner to ask for further evidence, such as their P60 or payslips. These should be photocopies. Don’t send originals, we can’t return financial evidence. Remember, your application isn’t complete and can’t be assessed until we have all the information we need.
Original post by mxrz
hi how can I view the live webchat?

There is no live web chat as such to view. We are discussing the forum topics and the questions and answers are being responded to between 19:00 - 20:00 by myself and Rachel.
Original post by thecatwithnohat
Thank you! Also, how much must your parents earn to get the maximum maintenance loan?

Hi,

The Student Finance Calculator will give you an idea of how much maintenance support you may be entitled to:

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator
Original post by mxrz
how do you apply for student finance and is there any other help I can get with finance from other organisations?

When it’s time to apply, visit www.gov.uk/studentfinance

Find out when the application service opens at www.gov.uk/studentfinancesteps

To find out what you can get read our interactive guide start guides at www.sfengland.slc.co.uk/quickstartguides

You can access information from other organisations such as The Student Room, NASMA & UCAS & you can also visit your Universities Student Advisor for advice on your Student Finance Application
Original post by andrey.3000
Hi, I was wondering what kind of proof of income should be given when applying for Student Finance?

Hi,

This will depend on your circumstances. For students under 25 we require financial information from parents, for students over 25 we would look at partner income (where applicable). When you complete your application and your parent(s)/partner complete the relevant form they will be prompted to submit evidence where necessary.
Thanks to Rachel and Jonathon!

Remember we have a host of live webchats all week if you have any more questions or check out our information and guidance here on The Student Room!
Hi I start uni in Sept 2016 (undergraduate). I live with my husband and 3 children. Husband works full time and is on min wage and we receive working & child tax credits. I receive DLA for a disability and also contribution based employment and support allowance. Can you please tell me what household income I need to declare on my maintenance loan application? Is it just taxable income (such as hubbys wages & ESA) or do also need to declare my DLA and tax credits also (non-taxable benefits)? Also is there an enhanced rate maintenance loan available for low income/disabled students? If so how much is the maximum entitlement. Thank you.

Latest

Trending

Trending