Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    'innit. I'm putting a break on STEP till I'm done with FP3, so... I've got a few more pages and I'll be done with the whole of integration. :yep:
    Oh yeah, 'cause you are doing one STEP paper a day right? I've been doing one question a day for months now (I think) so I don't think I need to stop now. You could do one question a day as well, if you want. It will probably only take you 20-30 minutes, haha!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Insight314)
    Oh yeah, 'cause you are doing one STEP paper a day right? I've been doing one question a day for months now (I think) so I don't think I need to stop now. You could do one question a day as well, if you want. It will probably only take you 20-30 minutes, haha!
    Nah, I do one STEP paper a week. Like I said, my work ethic is shite. :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 雷尼克)
    because i want to go there and this thread is making me cringe
    You probably won't meet your offer for Warwick anyway tbh, not sure why you're worried.

ReputationRep:
    Took me far too long to spot the -x^2 = 1 - x^2 - 1 trick. Anyways, this requires two bouts of integration, the first one yields, with u = (1-x^2)^n and \displaystyle v = \frac{1}{\alpha}\sin \alpha x:

\displaystyle 

\begin{equation*} \frac{\alpha I_n}{2n} = \int_{-1}^{1} x(1-x^2)^{n-1} \sin \alpha x \, \mathrm{d}x

\end{equation}

Now, we bash it with IBP again, this time with u = x(1-x^2)^{n-1} and \displaystlye v = -\frac{1}{\alpha} \cos \alpha x which gives us:

\displaystyle

\begin{equation*}\frac{\alpha^2}  {2n}I_n = I_{n-1} + 2(n-1)\int_{-1}^{1} \cos \alpha x (1-x^2)^{n-2} (-x^2) \, \mathrm{d}x \end{equation*}

Clever bit:

\displaystyle 

\begin{equation*} \frac{\alpha^2}{2n}I_n = I_{n-1} + 2(n-1)\int_{-1}^{1} \cos \alpha x (1-x^2)^{n-2} (1-x^2 - 1) \, \mathrm{d}x \end{equation*}

So:

\displaystyle 

\begin{equation*} \frac{\alpha^2}{2n}I_n = (2n-1)I_n - 2(n-1)I_{n-2} \iff \alpha^2 I_n = 2n(2n-1)I_{n-1} - 4n(n-1)I_{n-2} \end{equation*}

as required. Lovely.
    Bravo! Now, show that this implies that

\alpha^{2n+1} I_n = n! (P_n \sin \alpha + Q_n \cos \alpha)

where  P_n, Q_n are polynomials in \alpha of degree < 2n+1 with integer coefficients.

Hence, show that \pi is irrational. Hint: put  \alpha = \pi/2 and by assuming that \pi = b/a show that

\displaystyle J_n = \frac{b^{2n+1}I_n}{n!}

is an integer that tends to zero as n \rightarrow \infty

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gregorius)

where  P_n, Q_n are polynomials in \alpha of degree < 2n+1 with integer coefficients.

Hence, show that \pi is irrational. Hint: put  \alpha = \pi/2 and by assuming that \pi = b/a show that

Just kidding, looks lovely, prime procrastination material. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Update:

I've put away Greg's problem/extension for a bit, I'm far too groggy to think through it properly. In any case, I think I've finished the integration chapter in FP3, I just need to work through a few more exercises now.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    :rofl: love the title, and inspirational back story. Must take some time to read through the 9 pages.

Good luck! (not that you'll need it...)

:rave:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    :rofl: love the title, and inspirational back story. Must take some time to read through the 9 pages.

Good luck! (not that you'll need it...)

Woot! Thanks. Good to have you onboard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    zacken zacken, he's our man if he can't do it, no one can!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emKHcHZ_A2E

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aymanzayedmannan)
    zacken zacken, he's our man if he can't do it, no one can!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emKHcHZ_A2E
    Brilliant. :rofl: :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Nah, I do one STEP paper a week. Like I said, my work ethic is shite. :lol:
    That's still a question a day... and you know what they say... a question a day keeps Warwick away

(Original post by Gregorius)

Nice problem

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    That's still a question a day...
    Well... not really. I do the STEP paper in one go, so nothing for 6 days then 7 questions in one day.

and you know what they say... a question a day keeps Warwick away

:rofl:

Nice problem
    Have you done it?

ReputationRep:
    Update:

I'll do a proper update one of these days, with a nice long blog post. Anywho, think I'm going to get my FP2 June 2011 mock going now. Wish me luck!

ReputationRep:
    Update:

I'll do a proper update one of these days, with a nice long blog post. Anywho, think I'm going to get my FP2 June 2011 mock going now. Wish me luck!
    Good luck

ReputationRep:
    FP2 Mock (June 2011):

So let's do some analysis (the boring kind, not the maths kind):

Total time: 59:20 Total raw: 75 Total UMS: 100

Q1: inequalities. Took longer than I should because I did it in two different ways to check my answer. I'll need to improve my speed here. 9:32
    Q2: Taylor series solutions to DE's took far longer than I should have fixing a silly mistake. 6:05
    Q3: Easy first order DE, happy with my time. 3:45
    Q4: Telescoping sums, easy, took me longer than I'd like because I work slowly to avoid silly mistakes, it was an easy one as well, need to cut down on my time. 7:22
    Q5: Complex loci, my solution was far longer than need be, not pleased at all. 10:07
    Q6: Polar co-ordinates, mildly enjoyable. Did well on this one. 07:03
    Q7: Easy C3 stuff, took me long because I graphed to see if I got all my solutions. 8:07
    Q8: Easy second order DE, surprised I didn't make a silly slip, pleased with my time. 07:04

All-around, I think I did okay. Certainly lots of space for improvement with regards to my timing issue.

ReputationRep:
    I raped

tl;dr for y'all.

You're welcome

ReputationRep:
    Total raw: 75 Total UMS: 100

All-around, I think I did okay.
    :curious:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinkerbella~)
    :curious:

Spoiler:
    Show
    just bants zacken <3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    just bants zacken <3
    PRSOM, this made my day :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    FP2 Mock (June 2011):
    Total time: 59:20

All-around, I think I did okay. Certainly lots of space for improvement with regards to my timing issue.
    Ayy lmao, top banter! :rofl:

Posted from TSR Mobile

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.