The Student Room Group

Getting to Cambridge: STEP by STEP!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zacken
'innit. I'm putting a break on STEP till I'm done with FP3, so... :tongue: I've got a few more pages and I'll be done with the whole of integration. :yep:

Oh yeah, 'cause you are doing one STEP paper a day right? I've been doing one question a day for months now (I think) so I don't think I need to stop now. :biggrin: You could do one question a day as well, if you want. It will probably only take you 20-30 minutes, haha! :biggrin:
Reply 161
Original post by Insight314
Oh yeah, 'cause you are doing one STEP paper a day right? I've been doing one question a day for months now (I think) so I don't think I need to stop now. :biggrin: You could do one question a day as well, if you want. It will probably only take you 20-30 minutes, haha! :biggrin:

Nah, I do one STEP paper a week. Like I said, my work ethic is shite. :lol:
Reply 162
Original post by 雷尼克
because i want to go there and this thread is making me cringe

You probably won't meet your offer for Warwick anyway tbh, not sure why you're worried.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Zacken
Took me far too long to spot the x2=1x21-x^2 = 1 - x^2 - 1 trick. Anyways, this requires two bouts of integration, the first one yields, with u=(1x2)nu = (1-x^2)^n and v=1αsinαx\displaystyle v = \frac{1}{\alpha}\sin \alpha x:

Unparseable latex formula:

\displaystyle [br]\begin{equation*} \frac{\alpha I_n}{2n} = \int_{-1}^{1} x(1-x^2)^{n-1} \sin \alpha x \, \mathrm{d}x[br]\end{equation}

Now, we bash it with IBP again, this time with u=x(1x2)n1u = x(1-x^2)^{n-1} and

\displaystlye v = -\frac{1}{\alpha} \cos \alpha x

which gives us:

\displaystyle[br]\begin{equation*}\frac{\alpha^2}{2n}I_n = I_{n-1} + 2(n-1)\int_{-1}^{1} \cos \alpha x (1-x^2)^{n-2} (-x^2) \, \mathrm{d}x \end{equation*}

Clever bit:

\displaystyle [br]\begin{equation*} \frac{\alpha^2}{2n}I_n = I_{n-1} + 2(n-1)\int_{-1}^{1} \cos \alpha x (1-x^2)^{n-2} (1-x^2 - 1) \, \mathrm{d}x \end{equation*}

So:

\displaystyle [br]\begin{equation*} \frac{\alpha^2}{2n}I_n = (2n-1)I_n - 2(n-1)I_{n-2} \iff \alpha^2 I_n = 2n(2n-1)I_{n-1} - 4n(n-1)I_{n-2} \end{equation*}

as required. Lovely.

Bravo! Now, show that this implies that

α2n+1In=n!(Pnsinα+Qncosα)\alpha^{2n+1} I_n = n! (P_n \sin \alpha + Q_n \cos \alpha)

where Pn,Qn P_n, Q_n are polynomials in α\alpha of degree < 2n+1 with integer coefficients.

Hence, show that π\pi is irrational. Hint: put α=π/2 \alpha = \pi/2 and by assuming that π=b/a\pi = b/a show that

Jn=b2n+1Inn!\displaystyle J_n = \frac{b^{2n+1}I_n}{n!}

is an integer that tends to zero as nn \rightarrow \infty
Reply 164
Original post by Gregorius

α2n+1In=n!(Pnsinα+Qncosα)\alpha^{2n+1} I_n = n! (P_n \sin \alpha + Q_n \cos \alpha)

where Pn,Qn P_n, Q_n are polynomials in α\alpha of degree < 2n+1 with integer coefficients.

Hence, show that π\pi is irrational. Hint: put α=π/2 \alpha = \pi/2 and by assuming that π=b/a\pi = b/a show that

Just kidding, looks lovely, prime procrastination material. :yep:
Reply 165
Update:

I've put away Greg's problem/extension for a bit, I'm far too groggy to think through it properly. In any case, I think I've finished the integration chapter in FP3, I just need to work through a few more exercises now.
:rofl: love the title, and inspirational back story. Must take some time to read through the 9 pages.

Good luck! (not that you'll need it...)

:rave:
Reply 167
Original post by SeanFM
:rofl: love the title, and inspirational back story. Must take some time to read through the 9 pages.

Good luck! (not that you'll need it...)

Woot! Thanks. Good to have you onboard. :biggrin:
Original post by SeanFM

zacken zacken, he's our man if he can't do it, no one can!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emKHcHZ_A2E
Reply 169
Original post by aymanzayedmannan
zacken zacken, he's our man if he can't do it, no one can!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emKHcHZ_A2E

Brilliant. :rofl: :rofl:
Original post by Zacken
Nah, I do one STEP paper a week. Like I said, my work ethic is shite. :lol:

That's still a question a day... and you know what they say... a question a day keeps Warwick away

Original post by Gregorius

Nice problem
Reply 171
Original post by Mathemagicien
That's still a question a day...

Well... not really. I do the STEP paper in one go, so nothing for 6 days then 7 questions in one day.

and you know what they say... a question a day keeps Warwick away

:rofl:

Nice problem

Have you done it?
Reply 172
Update:

I'll do a proper update one of these days, with a nice long blog post. Anywho, think I'm going to get my FP2 June 2011 mock going now. Wish me luck!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Zacken
Update:

I'll do a proper update one of these days, with a nice long blog post. Anywho, think I'm going to get my FP2 June 2011 mock going now. Wish me luck!

Good luck :colonhash:
Reply 174
FP2 Mock (June 2011):

So let's do some analysis (the boring kind, not the maths kind):

Total time: 59:20 Total raw: 75 Total UMS: 100

Q1: inequalities. Took longer than I should because I did it in two different ways to check my answer. I'll need to improve my speed here. 9:32
Q2: Taylor series solutions to DE's took far longer than I should have fixing a silly mistake. 6:05
Q3: Easy first order DE, happy with my time. 3:45
Q4: Telescoping sums, easy, took me longer than I'd like because I work slowly to avoid silly mistakes, it was an easy one as well, need to cut down on my time. 7:22
Q5: Complex loci, my solution was far longer than need be, not pleased at all. 10:07
Q6: Polar co-ordinates, mildly enjoyable. Did well on this one. 07:03
Q7: Easy C3 stuff, took me long because I graphed to see if I got all my solutions. 8:07
Q8: Easy second order DE, surprised I didn't make a silly slip, pleased with my time. 07:04

All-around, I think I did okay. Certainly lots of space for improvement with regards to my timing issue.
Original post by Zacken
I raped

tl;dr for y'all.

You're welcome
Original post by Zacken
Total raw: 75 Total UMS: 100

All-around, I think I did okay.

:curious:
Original post by tinkerbella~
:curious:

Spoiler

Original post by Student403

Spoiler

PRSOM, this made my day :rofl:
Original post by Zacken
FP2 Mock (June 2011):
Total time: 59:20

All-around, I think I did okay. Certainly lots of space for improvement with regards to my timing issue.

Ayy lmao, top banter! :rofl:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending