The Student Room Group

Access to Social Sciences - Local Uni Only?

Hi,

I'm thinking of doing the Access to Social Sciences at my local college from this September, but i've heard that apparently if you do this course, you can only go to a University locally. I think it has something to do with the regional certificate that is awarded or something.

However, I'm a bit worried about this because part of the reason for me doing this access course is that I want to move away from my area (East Midlands) and move a bit futher away.

Has anyone done this Access course and if so, did you manage to go to a Uni futher afield?

Also, how many hours a week is your Access course?
hi i'm doing access to social work and my course is 21 hours a week, its dropped to less than this now that i've finished two of my subjects. I'm not sure about the local uni thing, so long as your access course has the official kite mark (check with the college or learn direct) any uni should accept it provided you meet other requirements dependant on course
Reply 2
:dito:
Last year I emailed a lot of universities regarding about the access course that I was on and most of them replied asking if it was kite marked and so on.
Reply 3
What does kite marked mean?
i think but dont quote me on it, its to say its a recognised course as in nationwide, the kite mark basically says that it reaches a certain standard that can be expected throughtout other access courses, so for example that even though you would study where you are and me in rugby our courses would be on an even par, bit like a national curriculum but for access students. Your local college should be able to tell you if the course is appropiatley kite marked for what you want to do, and if not i found learn direct to be very helpful with all the kite mark palava as i didint understand it all when i started
Reply 5
Ah right, thanks :smile: I think i'll e-mail the college and see what they say on it.

Latest

Trending

Trending