The Student Room Group

Applying for university with GCSE’s

Hello,

I’m looking to get back into my education and get a degree but I left school after my GCSE’s and went straight into the working world… meaning I have no Alevels or equivalent which is typically needed for university… right?

So I’m wondering now what my options are as a 21 year old wanting to get her degree with only entry level gcse results
The Open University. There are no entry requirements.
Original post by OLB26
Hello,

I’m looking to get back into my education and get a degree but I left school after my GCSE’s and went straight into the working world… meaning I have no Alevels or equivalent which is typically needed for university… right?

So I’m wondering now what my options are as a 21 year old wanting to get her degree with only entry level gcse results

You probably wont get in although as a mature student things are different. Your best option would be to take a 1 year access course at your local college and apply with that.
Original post by OLB26
Hello,

As mentioned above, an Access to Higher Education Diploma is a one-year course that prepares you for study at university in place of A levels. There are fees involved but loans are available, and any outstanding loan may be written off if you complete a degree. More info on the following sites:

https://www.accesstohe.ac.uk/home

https://www.gov.uk/advanced-learner-loan
Reply 4
Any idea what you would like to study? That makes a lot of difference,
Reply 5
Original post by ajj2000
Any idea what you would like to study? That makes a lot of difference,

Hi,
Social work or Adult nursing
Hey,

As others have said it may be worth looking into doing an access course you can usually find health-related access courses (This should stand you in good stead when applying to university)

A lot of Universities for nursing courses may also require students to have certain grades in GCSEs
At York St John we require students to have a minimum of 3 GCSE's this has to include English Language, Maths and Science. ( A lot of Universities may be like this)

Both nursing and social work are amazing professions! Good luck in whatever you do :smile:

Rebecca 2nd year Education, SEN and Mental health student
Reply 7
Original post by OLB26
Hi,
Social work or Adult nursing

Sounds great! I’m sure if you ask about each specific field you’ll get good suggestions for the routes open to you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending