The Student Room Group

Journey to Medical School - Year 11

Scroll to see replies

Revision Roundup: I want to start off by apologising (again) for not updating sooner, but here I am! Here's a brief update on my revision for the past 2 weeks (week 3 and 4 on my timetable):
- History: This has been going rather well for me at the moment, I have been able to keep up with the work load and continue to test myself. I was told on Wednesday, that I no longer needed to do my homework but could hand in revision instead, but, for as long as I can, I have decided to do both because my history homework is revision in itself and is often an exam question. However, I do think I need to do a past paper, to consolidate the revision I have done in these 4 weeks so far and go through ALL of my history revision flashcards (I've hand made 6 different sets...)
- Science: In week 3, my task was to complete the further papers for science... Not only did I achieve this but I actually went and sat alone in my exam hall, at an exam desk, for 3 hours after school (yes I was there until 6) and I have never achieved a better mind set when doing a past paper exam. I then marked and evaluated the paper and I got 2 A*S!! The evaluation was to look at where I had lost marks and help myself with exam technique when answering the questions. This week was focused on Unit 3 and so far, I have completed the flashcards, 2 revision posters and started the unit 3 questions. However, I will be completing the rest of the questions and an additional revision poster today.
- English: In week 3, I was focused on structure and symbols (I got home later and couldn't complete the chapter analysis that week so moved it to week 4) and this went very well. My exam board mark scheme directly asks about the structure and language used and the effect on the reader, which is why I use the PETER system (explained in previous posts). However, this week I was doing chapter analysis and omfg I did not anticipate how hard it would be! You cannot analyse 31 chapters on a novel in one day, let alone in one night! I have reached chapter 10 in terms of analysis and they are each a page long, with quotes, analysis and theme exposure... Its almost like doing a mini exam 31 times!
- Spanish: Spanish is always very annoying. I have run out of listening papers to do on my own exam board and the other exam boards have a different layout and system to us... I am continuing to use the book I 'borrowed' from school and completing 'memrise' flashcards for that topic to increase my knowledge, as well as building on vocabulary and doing revision for Spanish in school. Last Sunday, I watched the film "Instructions Not Included" (on Netflix) in Spanish and I felt that I was able to understand a lot of the vocabulary. I definitely recommend the film, and the method once in awhile!
- Music: again music is very hard to do revision for because it's a listening test and there is no way you can revise other than to listen to different pieces of music and test yourself on them. I am making notes on the Areas of Study each week and with that listen to the pieces of music related to the topic, as identified in my revision guide and complete a past paper question.
- Religious Studies: I'm all on track here! I found out I got 153/162 on my paper and I am very, very happy with it. The only annoying thing is that when I'm doing revision in class, I can never check my revision on my phone and so I start doing something random and its not what I'm supposed to be doing that week, so I have to do even more on the Saturday!
- Citizenship: I've actually been extending my revision in this department to cover my chosen topics, as well as the required themes. It's going well!

Today, as well as my Buddhism work, I will be focusing on: (PP means past paper)
1. Spanish on Memrise
2. History PP
3. Physics Unit 3 Poster
4. TKAM Analysis (try and reach chapter 12!)
5. Unit 3 questions (science)
6. Maths Calculator PP (and review of non-calculator)
7. History flashcards (go through them)
8. Science flashcards 3-5 (go through them)

THEN I'M GOING TO A SPA! :smile:
I didn't realise how long that was...
Original post by HouseOfRichman
I didn't realise how long that was...

Haha. It's fine. Thank you for recommending the AQA listening book by the way. It came this morning and I think (and hope) that it's going to help me. :smile:

You're doing so much revision! It's making me realise how little I'm doing... :smile: A spa sounds so nice! I hope you had a good time!
Original post by Ara8311a
Haha. It's fine. Thank you for recommending the AQA listening book by the way. It came this morning and I think (and hope) that it's going to help me. :smile:

You're doing so much revision! It's making me realise how little I'm doing... :smile: A spa sounds so nice! I hope you had a good time!

I had a nap today at about 1pm (I'd had my aunts party until 2:30am) and I actually doubled the amount of revision Id normally do because it felt like a whole new day! Good luck with the listening :smile: if you ever want to collaborate on music revision just pm me! I got 30/30 on my solo performance the other day, by the way, so I'm super duper happy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I had a nap today at about 1pm (I'd had my aunts party until 2:30am) and I actually doubled the amount of revision Id normally do because it felt like a whole new day! Good luck with the listening :smile: if you ever want to collaborate on music revision just pm me! I got 30/30 on my solo performance the other day, by the way, so I'm super duper happy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow congrats! I got 29/30 and I was thrilled so I can't imagine how happy you must be!!! :smile: Thank you! I'll let you know when I get started properly and then it would be great to revise together! :smile:
So my Jekyll and Hyde exam is 1.5hrs with an unseen poem so it's 45mins per section. I normally write a brief introduction, 3 very in depth paragraphs using PETER (https://www.slideshare.net/mobile/bethenabraham/how-to-nail-a-peter-paragraph) and add an extra point into my conclusion. :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey,
Please can you explain your conclusions in more detail. Im so stuck as to how to structure an A* conclusion to an essay (for example Jekyll/Hyde).
Original post by Do it Right
Hey,
Please can you explain your conclusions in more detail. Im so stuck as to how to structure an A* conclusion to an essay (for example Jekyll/Hyde).

Okay so say the question has asked how does Stevenson create tension in this extract I would have a conclusion along the lines of:
1. State the question in the first sentence: Stevenson creates tension by
2. BRIEFLY cover the main points you've just said: using the reactions of the other characters to Hyde and the structure of using a variety of letters to limit what the audience knows.
3. Explain another point in relation to technique and effect on the reader: Stevenson also uses dramatic irony for example at the beginning of Dr Henry Jekyll's Full Statement of the Case we have pieced together Jekyll's "transcendence" into Hyde whereas Utterson is still somewhat in the dark. This allows the reader to feel somewhat illuminated over Utterson and recalls the symbol of the moon which is now shining brightly as the audience understands the "case."
4. Make a generalisation: Overall, Stevenson creates tension by using a captivating structure with the use of evidence creating a nesting narrative and using complex language for example...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can you say what you've been doing revision wise to motivate me?
Original post by Lucofthewoods
Can you say what you've been doing revision wise to motivate me?

Today I reached chapter 21 in terms of To Kill a Mockingbird analysis (each an A4 page long) and completed my flashcards for theme 4 of Citizenship. I am also going to be finishing a maths past paper and updating my unit 2 flashcards for science. Yesterday I completed a past paper for philosophy and ethics and on Friday I completed a music listening past paper, finished my History Boys analysis, did some questions from my Spanish workbook. It's been okay for the most part! I'll be updating my whole revision plan for these 2 weeks when I get home :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
In 2 days I have done 19 hours of revision 😳 both at school and at home on a variety of subjects... I'm aiming to do 6/7 hours of revision a day but sometimes I push for 10 because I feel very motivated or don't get a topic. Other days I only do 4 or 5

Posted from TSR Mobile
In 2 days I have done 19 hours of revision 😳 both at school and at home on a variety of subjects... I'm aiming to do 6/7 hours of revision a day but sometimes I push for 10 because I feel very motivated or don't get a topic. Other days I only do 4 or 5

Posted from TSR Mobile

sup, how you revising for english?
Original post by Youngmetro
sup, how you revising for english?

I study 2 books and a play :smile: I've read them all twice or more (four times do TKAM, three times for J+H and twice for History Boys) and watched all the films. I revise by looking at the mark scheme and seeing what it asks me to look for. I develop those skills (on OCR its structure and language analysis and the effect on the reader) by doing lots of past papers that I mark myself and then make my teacher mark it too (I swear I account for about 90% of the marking he actually does 😂). I also analyse the entire book (yes I analysed 31 chapters of TKAM working out to be almost 40 pages long) and back up my ideas of the themes using evidence. I'm also a proud inventor of the "ideas bank" in my own revision: writing random notes where you've got a good idea about the book that you don't think anyone has thought of.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I study 2 books and a play :smile: I've read them all twice or more (four times do TKAM, three times for J+H and twice for History Boys) and watched all the films. I revise by looking at the mark scheme and seeing what it asks me to look for. I develop those skills (on OCR its structure and language analysis and the effect on the reader) by doing lots of past papers that I mark myself and then make my teacher mark it too (I swear I account for about 90% of the marking he actually does 😂). I also analyse the entire book (yes I analysed 31 chapters of TKAM working out to be almost 40 pages long) and back up my ideas of the themes using evidence. I'm also a proud inventor of the "ideas bank" in my own revision: writing random notes where you've got a good idea about the book that you don't think anyone has thought of.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Will you be sitting the OCR information & ideas paper for English language?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Revision Roundup:
Normally, I post pictures directly from my phone but for some reason TSR has prevented me from doing so (arghh!) so that is why my updates have been few and far between. This holiday has been very productive so far! I am doing at least 4 hours a day with most days being 8 hours and a few days being 10-12 hours. I have being doing all sorts of revision: mind maps, past papers, posters, audio, flashcards, tests for every single subject so I have a lot of variety. Bizarrely enough, the biggest problem I am facing is running out of room to put mind maps up! I am very happy with the work I have been accomplishing and the pace I am working at, if anyone has any further or particular questions I would be happy to answer them :smile: I am hoping to post some pictures up following this post but alas, as I said above, TSR seems to have and aura of disapprobation towards me at the moment...
Hii, how many exams do you have this year? I have 24 exams and some days I have 4 exams on the same day :frown:

Anyway I also wanted to ask how you're revising for maths because i've done all the past papers and I'm not sure what I should do next. Also how do you revise for languages, i'm studying french and my cousework is all at an A* but on my exams i usually get Bs or Cs so i'm not sure how to go about revising for it.
Thank youu
Original post by GCSEstudentt
Hii, how many exams do you have this year? I have 24 exams and some days I have 4 exams on the same day :frown:

Anyway I also wanted to ask how you're revising for maths because i've done all the past papers and I'm not sure what I should do next. Also how do you revise for languages, i'm studying french and my cousework is all at an A* but on my exams i usually get Bs or Cs so i'm not sure how to go about revising for it.
Thank youu

24 here too I believe and I think the most I have is 3... I revise using memrise and doing past papers and also practicing reading skills by stealing a school book. Also, for maths I use hegarty maths to go through past paper questions and tackle areas I need to work on identified in my past papers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I can't believe the holidays are almost over. It scares (terrifies) me to think that in 3 weeks I'll be sitting my first exam and the work I have done over this time will be paramount. However, despite my fear of the fast coming exam season, I can truly say I have accomplished so much in this time. Whilst there are some things I should've have done more of that I will explain at the end (along with how I will rectify this), here is what I have accomplished:
- a total of 102.5 hours of RECORDED revision (recorded meaning the stuff I was supposed to do - had on my 2 week timetable)
- BUT I also did so much other stuff to stretch myself, for homework (all revision based) and just to finish things off as they took longer than initially anticipated. In total (so with the recorded revision) this would be around... 138 hours 😂 (around 9 hours a day across 16 days)
This includes:
- making 6 A3 mind maps (per subject) cover everything in chemistry, biology and physics.
- a total of 14 past papers in the allotted time
- chapter, language, structure and character analysis of 2 books and one play
- 3 days at school learning
- 1 day (9-4) teaching all of the 6s to my entire triple science class as we no longer have a teacher
- flashcards (so many effing flashcards): making them, testing myself with them, making more, testing some more
- posters

Many more lovely things, but those are the main ones. TSR is still not allowing me to attach images which is a shame because I did some really cool things I'd like to show you!

Although, I wish I had done more English language, maths and Spanish. To rectify this I will be targeting these areas a lot more in class and doing longer hours in my revision after school.

Posted from TSR Mobile
wow thats so much to accomplish in such a small space of time!
Im also doing my GCSE's in under a month and i'm terrified.
More because of my sciences. The textbooks are so large how did you manage to contain it in just 6 A3 pages!? thats awesome. I was wondering please if perhaps you could show me them so I can get more of an idea on how to cut down long wordy paragraphs so you're able to fit your work on such little space. Is this alright?
good luck with everything.
charlotte x
Of course it is! It's a little fiddly because I have to email the pictures to my computer because it won't let me post them from my phone. So I did 6 A3 mind maps for biology, 6 for chemistry and 6 for physics. Each was divided into 8 sections which is how our 6 units are subdivided.
My name is Lucy and my aim is to go to medical school because I would like to become a doctor (shocker!). This means that I will need to secure the best grades I can in May and June and then again in sixth form as medical schools are very competitive. This is part 1 of my journey there: Year 11.

My personal targets, the grades that will make me smile on the 25th August (3 days after my birthday!) are:
Maths: A*
Chemistry: A*
Biology: A*
Physics: A* (or A but I'll take what I can get!)
English Literature: A*
English Language: A*
History: A*
Music: A
Spanish: A
Philosophy and Ethics: A*
Citizenship: A*

Just comment if you would like to know anymore :smile:

Hello, how do you revise for maths and history? Also what exam board are you doing for maths?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending