The Student Room Group

A-Level choices - English Language?

I've been thinking about my A-Level choices a bit more recently, and I have basically chosen that I'm taking Psychology and Biology. I only wish to take one more, since I'm not very academic and wouldn't be able to handle 4. This last one I've been debating on for a long time, but I am currently thinking of English Language. :tongue:

I know it isn't as respected as English Literature, but I'm not very good at English Lit and wouldn't want to take it any further than GCSE. :s-smilie: I want to have a career related to psychology in the future, so I've been told to definitely take Psychology and Biology - and then I've been told that English Language can actually be quite useful for psychology.

What do you think? Is English Language hard/good? Do you like it? Or should I consider a different A-Level? (if so, please tell me)

Thanks! :smile:
Lang would be really good for psychology as they link up.
Original post by Grovyshi
I've been thinking about my A-Level choices a bit more recently, and I have basically chosen that I'm taking Psychology and Biology. I only wish to take one more, since I'm not very academic and wouldn't be able to handle 4. This last one I've been debating on for a long time, but I am currently thinking of English Language. :tongue:

I know it isn't as respected as English Literature, but I'm not very good at English Lit and wouldn't want to take it any further than GCSE. :s-smilie: I want to have a career related to psychology in the future, so I've been told to definitely take Psychology and Biology - and then I've been told that English Language can actually be quite useful for psychology.

What do you think? Is English Language hard/good? Do you like it? Or should I consider a different A-Level? (if so, please tell me)

Thanks! :smile:

English Language will definitely be most beneficial if you are looking to read Psychology at A-level.

It incorporates data analysis which you will have to do in Psychology. And, you will get the opportunity to dive into the introduction of children's language acquisition - learning how children acquire spoken and written language. Which again, is very useful for Psy.

I think I only enjoyed 2/4 over the whole course. I enjoyed learning about children's language and then the history of the English Language was awesome something I very much liked.

Didn't enjoy the linguistic element even though it's very useful. Didn't enjoy looking at how language is used in gender, occupation, sexuality, accent and dialect etc etc. For me, that was boring.

I think it's relatively easy as long as you master the correct essay technique. It's more formulaic in terms of "terminolgy, example, analysis, link back to text" essay standard. Once you master that as well as correctly identifying the linguistic components it is much fun as it is much hassle. You will find this will all your subjects though.

I would recommend it because it will be helpful to you during A-level and to at least your 1st year at uni no doubt .
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
English Language will definitely be most beneficial if you are looking to read Psychology at A-level.

It incorporates data analysis which you will have to do in Psychology. And, you will get the opportunity to dive into the introduction of children's language acquisition - learning how children acquire spoken and written language. Which again, is very useful for Psy.

I think I only enjoyed 2/4 over the whole course. I enjoyed learning about children's language and then the history of the English Language was awesome something I very much liked.

Didn't enjoy the linguistic element even though it's very useful. Didn't enjoy looking at how language is used in gender, occupation, sexuality, accent and dialect etc etc. For me, that was boring.

I think it's relatively easy as long as you master the correct essay technique. It's more formulaic in terms of "terminolgy, example, analysis, link back to text" essay standard. Once you master that as well as correctly identifying the linguistic components it is much fun as it is much hassle. You will find this will all your subjects though.

I would recommend it because it will be helpful to you during A-level and to at least your 1st year at uni no doubt .

Also might be worth adding that although lit may seem like a 'better' a level, you're already doing two difficult subjects so the third won't matter as much as long as it's something you get a good grade in. The only other thing I would say if you're really worried about doing language (which I don't think you need to be) you could always look at the combined Literature and Language A level if your sixth form/ college does that x
Original post by em-robertss
Also might be worth adding that although lit may seem like a 'better' a level, you're already doing two difficult subjects so the third won't matter as much as long as it's something you get a good grade in. The only other thing I would say if you're really worried about doing language (which I don't think you need to be) you could always look at the combined Literature and Language A level if your sixth form/ college does that x

I'm unsure why you've quoted me aha?
Reply 5
Original post by Grovyshi
x

I take Biology and Psychology AMA! :smile:
Immediately, I was about to tell you to go for English Lit instead because it is much more well respected by 'the good' universities.

But after reading your comments about struggling with it, definitely do not take it. I only got AB at GCSE and I struggle sometimes with AS Lit. My English teachers and students who I know that take Lang say it is easier but still fun.
I'm doing Biology and love it. Can't speak for AS Psychology but I have heard it is great.
Definitely go for Lang. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending