The Student Room Group

What is your desired career and why? Plans to get there? Pay?

Right, so we've had tonnes of these types of threads on TSR before but none of them have been structured well enough or have been overtly vague about 'expectations'. I want to get a thread going about your career aspirations, and subsequently the level of compensation it pays as well as motives for choosing the career path(s) you have gone for.

1. What career (or careers) are you hoping to get into out of uni?
2. How will you get there?
3. What is the pay progression? (grad, mid-career, peak)
4. Why did you choose this (or these) career(s)

These threads have a tendency to attract self-righteous 'nay sayers' and those who repeatedly say: 'you're in for a shock once you hit the real world'. Please, please, please, don't do that on this thread. Just answer the questions and/or engage in discussion.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Princepieman
Right, so we've had tonnes of these types of threads on TSR before but none of them have been structured well enough or have been overtly vague about 'expectations'. I want to get a thread going about your career aspirations, and subsequently the level of compensation it pays as well as motives for choosing the career path(s) you have gone for.

3. What is the pay progression?

These threads have a tendency to attract self-righteous 'nay sayers' and those who repeatedly say: 'you're in for a shock once you hit the real world'. Please, please, please, don't do that on this thread. Just answer the questions and/or engage in discussion.

you're in for a shock once you hit the real world

You're in for a shock once you hit the real world, m8.
Original post by kieran12321LFC
you're in for a shock once you hit the real world

Original post by permanenthelp!
You're in for a shock once you hit the real world, m8.

Cheers guys
I hope to become a Dr.
I will complete an undergraduate degree in natural sciences or biomedical sciences followed by a 4 year accelerated graduate entry Medicine course.
F1 - 22k, F2 28k, Speciality training 30k, Consultant 78-100k
The first 3 figures don't include banding I believe.
I liked the idea of a vocational career which applied scientific knowledge as well as being the main source of input upon the primary care of my patients. I've been a carer and shadowed nurses and that was really unappealing.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
british communist dictator

violent overthrow of the bourgeois

i will eradicate money

im a prole
Investment Banking (M&A)

Through conversions of internships, and achieving a 2:1 average

Pretty good

I study a relevant degree, the pay is enticing, I have no need for a social life and it makes me feel good about myself
Reply 7
I want to become a lad. I will get there by reading the lad bible. I will be paid 5 tonnes of pussy every year. I chose this career because I have good banter.

Edit: I'll post a serious answer later when I have time
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8

It's going to be a pretty one-way discussion if we're unable to point out people's clearly deluded expectations...
Reply 9
Original post by gr8wizard10
Investment Banking (M&A)

Through conversions of internships, and achieving a 2:1 average

Pretty good

I study a relevant degree, the pay is enticing, I have no need for a social life and it makes me feel good about myself

Tbh bankers usually are supposed to be very social and they tend to go out for drinks a lot with other bankers from what I've heard.
Original post by Reue
It's going to be a pretty one-way discussion if we're unable to point out people's clearly deluded expectations...

Oh you can call people out if their numbers are wrong (as long as you substantiate it with the correct figures) but don't slate them for their aspirations.
Original post by Trapz99
Tbh bankers usually are supposed to be very social and they tend to go out for drinks a lot with other bankers from what I've heard.

yes, every week my team would go out. ofc the banking part requires great social input but in terms of outside the world of work, i have no interest in meaningless relationships that offer no tangiable benefit.
Stripper

By stripping

It's aight

I like taking my clothes off.

1. Rockstar
2. Trade this life for fortune and fame - I'd even cut my hair and change my name.
3. To start, I want a brand new house on an episode of cribs, and a bathroom I can play baseball in. And a king-size tub big enough for ten plus me.
4. The girls come easy and the drugs come cheap.
Original post by econymous
1. Rockstar
2. Trade this life for fortune and fame - I'd even cut my hair and change my name.
3. To start, I want a brand new house on an episode of cribs, and a bathroom I can play baseball in. And a king-size tub big enough for ten plus me.
4. The girls come easy and the drugs come cheap.

and we'll all stay skinny cozzzz we just wont eatttttttt YEAAAHHH
Original post by Reue

Just because your life ended up as a disappointment doesn't mean everyone's will, mate.
Reply 16
Oh you can call people out if their numbers are wrong (as long as you substantiate it with the correct figures) but don't slate them for their aspirations.

Oh may I? Thank you for your permission :wink:

I don't understand what you're hoping to achieve here (and indeed the quality of responses so far probably demonstrate the futile nature of keeping this on-topic).
Reply 17
Original post by like_marmite
Just because your life ended up as a disappointment doesn't mean everyone's will, mate.

:cry2:
Original post by Reue
Oh may I? Thank you for your permission :wink:

I don't understand what you're hoping to achieve here (and indeed the quality of responses so far probably demonstrate the futile nature of keeping this on-topic).

I'm trying to get some legitimate responses from people that align their salary aspirations with careers they want to go into. And, people who have an actual plan of getting there. Rather than the usual: 'I'll be on £x by y' without substantiating anything about their plans of getting there.

EDIT: I don't mind the banter tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by like_marmite

Savage :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending