The Student Room Group

Struggling to choose between two (very different) degree subjects!

Can you please shorten this down quite a bit.
Is your return key broken?
Original post by who_dat
X

It was quite an adventure just reading this.

I can relate, though. I've been through more subject options than I care to list. It's a bit weird when you're an arty/science person because your subject interests and strengths aren't pointing you in any obvious direction. I've finally made the decision to go down the starving artist route, my logic being that I know many people who did 'sensible' degrees are struggling to find work/unhappy with their lives and I figured that I may as well be struggling in a field that I love rather than one that I can do but that bores me to tears. Having said that, there's no reason why you couldn't study maths but do something arty on the side that you then pursued as a career. Many artists haven't actually got qualifications in their art. Because I'm going to be 26 by the time I begin my uni study (that's assuming everything goes well for me) I was keen on studying something that might give me a foot in the door of a field where I could actually see myself working (theatre) as opposed to doing the 'sensible' degree and doing theatre on the side.

It's really a decision only you can make in the end.
Reply 3
Original post by who_dat
Any advice will be fully appreciated

tl;dr
Put it into some paragraphs please.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
I really can't read this until you add paragraphs and maybe shorten it....

So my advice will be to make a pros and cons list
Reply 5
Who would read this wall of text?
Reply 6
It's hardly that difficult to read. OP, you've listed a lot of negatives about studying Mathematics at uni, as opposed to Fashion where you've listed none at all. If fashion is something you're passionate about, go for it - There's no point studying a degree that you're not 100% committed to.
To be fair it was in paragraphs before i posted idk, im not illiterate.
Seems to me like you guys think i should go for fashion, not what i was expecting. I suppose either way i go things always turn out right in the end:/
Original post by who_dat
To be fair it was in paragraphs before i posted idk, im not illiterate.
Seems to me like you guys think i should go for fashion, not what i was expecting. I suppose either way i go things always turn out right in the end:/

No. Creative writing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by who_dat
So here's a little backstory. Back in the day I was a bit of a waster; I coasted through my GCSEs, came out with average grades, then bounded into Year 12 with the same uncaring attitude. After swapping and dropping a myriad of subjects, I ended up taking Art and Drama. I could have done perfectly well as an art(s) student, but since I never could be bothered to put any effort into my college work I ended up with a C in AS Drama and a big, fat U in Art. After that day I swore off Art forever and decided that I would be a bit more "sensible" when choosing two new AS subjects, whilst carrying on with Drama for my second year. Since my only A at GCSE was in History I decided to take that for AS, and I also decided to take AS Maths (to the shock and horror of my tutors, drama compatriots and even my mother) since I figured it would make me look good when applying for uni, to counteract Drama's 'soft subject' reputation.

So as I trailed through the beginnings of Year 13, I became more and more disengaged with A2 Drama (it is actually a very demanding subject, contrary to what society believes), and also with college life in general. However, a strange realisation also surfaced: I actually liked maths. This was weird to me since I never cared too much for it in school, but after taking it for A Level everything seemed to click, and I genuinely enjoyed it. Despite this, I ended up dropping out of college as - being the desperate, money-grabber I am - I had found myself a cushy, little full-time job, so I threw my A-Levels away at the wayside before I took any more of those stupid exams.

The months went by and I was relishing working life. As the job was pretty well-paid, I hatched a plan to save some of my disposable income and do all the travelling I desperately wanted to do. Though alas, I spent my paydays on frivolous things like clothes, fags and a couple of holidays, and soon it dawned on me that I may be stuck in a rut. I didn't want to be a Telephone Banking Service Advisor forever, I wanted an education! To aspire to great things! So with my new-found motivation (and a little jealousy at most of my old, high-school pals trotting off to different unis across the country) I enrolled back into college to re-re-take my A-Levels (taking AS Drama again, AS & A2 Maths and AS Psychology).

2015 soon came to and end and things were going swimmingly. That primal, burning desire for achievement had finally found me, and I had the firm idea - I thought - that I was going to study Maths at uni. It seemed like such an obvious choice, bearing in mind that I've had 100% in most of my mocks for that subject this year. And like I said, I genuinely enjoy maths, it is the science of truth after all, c'mon man that's deep. However, I've hit a wall on my marathon into the future. Recent thinking has posed the question of 'so what's after university?' I've been so focused on the concept of the university experience that I've missed the point that a degree is, other than being the pinnacle of your educational journey, a mechanism to get a job. So then I've pondered about the possible lives I may lead after a Maths degree, and I mostly just picture boring, 9-5, grey suit-wearing roles in finance, IT and, weirdly, market research. Then there's the worst future of all: the one where I end up as a maths teacher. I'd rather not spend my days teaching kids how to recite the quadratic formula to 'Pop Goes the Weasel'. I do, however, keep having the on-and-off pipe dream about becoming a fashion designer, something that maths does not prepare you for. I've always loved fashion, and the industry is something I've been interested in cracking since I was a teen who had a flair for making weird clothes look good. I'm very visual, and I'd like to think I come up with good ideas. This career-driven perspective on choosing a degree makes me toy with the idea of taking Fashion in university.

So that's my backstory, and at present time I'm in two minds about what degree I really should take. It's a real head-vs-heart decision. I've asked many for advice, getting conflicting answers. Some say that Maths is the 'wise choice' and I agree, I don't want to end up as a stereotypical starving artist. Others however, state that I should have my future career in mind when choosing a degree, and I also agree with them. Even if I do choose to commit potential educational suicide and take Fashion, at least I would be - to put it soppily - following my dreams. My quest for enlightenment has led me here, to the loving, insightful arms of The Student Room. I wish to congratulate anyone still reading this, I did go off on a bit of a tangent (haha). Any advice will be fully appreciated :smile:

It will probably be easier to go into fashion with a maths degree than vice versa. There are plenty of jobs for maths graduates, but many of them apply it to physics/engineering etc. which you may not be interested in. You may also find it difficult to do a maths degree without further maths or physics.
Original post by sweeneyrod
It will probably be easier to go into fashion with a maths degree than vice versa. There are plenty of jobs for maths graduates, but many of them apply it to physics/engineering etc. which you may not be interested in. You may also find it difficult to do a maths degree without further maths or physics.

I am planning on doing fm next year anyway so that's not a problem. I see your point with the fact that doing maths would give me a broader range of options post-uni than fashion would, and that's probably for the best since I have changed my mind a lot over the years about what career direction I want to take.
Oh the irony, I submit a version with paragraphs and it gets declined by the moderators.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending