The Student Room Group

Automotive Degree or Apprenticeship with degree?

I'm currently split between doing an automotive engineering degree (possibly Sheffield Hallam or Nottingham with a foundation year)
or
doing the Jaguar Land Rover engineering degree apprenticeship scheme. (http://www.jaguarlandrovercareers.com/jlr-roles/future-talent/apprentices/) Which is essentially 6 years, paid for and at the end on around 35,000 +. I believe the degree is in applied engineering so i assume its not as technical?
Can someone please tell me the pros and cons of both and which you think is the better option.
Im taking A level physics ICT and psychology, predicted ABB/ABC
Original post by Oscar_Ross
I'm currently split between doing an automotive engineering degree (possibly Sheffield Hallam or Nottingham with a foundation year)
or
doing the Jaguar Land Rover engineering degree apprenticeship scheme. (http://www.jaguarlandrovercareers.com/jlr-roles/future-talent/apprentices/) Which is essentially 6 years, paid for and at the end on around 35,000 +. I believe the degree is in applied engineering so i assume its not as technical?
Can someone please tell me the pros and cons of both and which you think is the better option.
Im taking A level physics ICT and psychology, predicted ABB/ABC

You don't have the correct A-levels to get into an engineering degree at the moment.

I think you need to look into what kind or role you want. Apprenticeships are good because you get to earn while you learn and don't rack up debt. However, many engineering apprenticeship roles don't necessarily lead into actual engineering roles. At the companies I have worked at that have taken on apprentices, the roles were technicians or CAD designers if office based. You can certainly go from apprentice to degree, though, and if you take the apprenticeship your company might even sponsor you through the degree so that you will have little or no student debt and an engineering position to go into upon graduation.
Reply 2
Original post by Smack
You don't have the correct A-levels to get into an engineering degree at the moment.

I think you need to look into what kind or role you want. Apprenticeships are good because you get to earn while you learn and don't rack up debt. However, many engineering apprenticeship roles don't necessarily lead into actual engineering roles. At the companies I have worked at that have taken on apprentices, the roles were technicians or CAD designers if office based. You can certainly go from apprentice to degree, though, and if you take the apprenticeship your company might even sponsor you through the degree so that you will have little or no student debt and an engineering position to go into upon graduation.

Hi,
Thanks for the reply but what do you mean about not having correct A levels? Ive talked to a few univercities and they have said my grades and subjects are fine for the course, automotive does not require maths it requires maths or physics unlike mechanical engineering.

Considering that do you think the degree is the better option then if I want to go into an actual engineering role and pursue it further?
Original post by Oscar_Ross
Hi,
Thanks for the reply but what do you mean about not having correct A levels? Ive talked to a few univercities and they have said my grades and subjects are fine for the course, automotive does not require maths it requires maths or physics unlike mechanical engineering.

Considering that do you think the degree is the better option then if I want to go into an actual engineering role and pursue it further?

I'm surprised that you can get into an engineering degree without maths.

Ultimately it is up to you and I cannot make that decision for you.
Reply 4
Original post by Smack
I'm surprised that you can get into an engineering degree without maths.

Ultimately it is up to you and I cannot make that decision for you.

Yeah majority do require maths but a few don't need it. I know at the end of the day its down to me but just wondering pros and cons of either?
Reply 5
Anyone else have any other input? Anything would be great, pros cons etc? How it differs from student life? Any info on the JLR apprenticeship?
Thanks in advance
Reply 6
BUMP!

Quick Reply

Latest