The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Geography help

Hello,
I am slightly confused as to what the definition of 'abrasion' is in the 'Coastal Zone' section. In my exercise book I have it as: - Loose rocks are dragged against the sea floor and are then thrown against the cliff. However, in the textbook and revision guide they both say things along the lines of: - This is the 'sandpapering' effect of pebbles grinding over a rocky platform, often causing it to become smooth. This second definition makes sense because it is more or less the same as the one for Ice on the Land. Please could someone clarify which one is correct.

Thanks
I would say the first one is correct! In my notes I have that abrasion is where pebbles and rocks are picked up by the high energy of the waves they bash together onto the sea bed! So this happens near the bottom course of a river on the mender where the gravitational energy is high enough to create a mender on the outside bend of the river, which erodes the sea bed.

You could also put this into the context of a sea so near the sea shore you have more rounded smaller pebbles that are picked up by the energy of the sea and erode the coastal lines and cliffs! by continuously having a force upon them.

Hope this helped you!
Reply 2
Original post by chrlhyms
I would say the first one is correct! In my notes I have that abrasion is where pebbles and rocks are picked up by the high energy of the waves they bash together onto the sea bed! So this happens near the bottom course of a river on the mender where the gravitational energy is high enough to create a mender on the outside bend of the river, which erodes the sea bed.

You could also put this into the context of a sea so near the sea shore you have more rounded smaller pebbles that are picked up by the energy of the sea and erode the coastal lines and cliffs! by continuously having a force upon them.

Hope this helped you!

It did! Thank you! Are you doing your exam this time? If so what topics are you doing?
Original post by daisie
It did! Thank you! Are you doing your exam this time? If so what topics are you doing?

I am! Im not doing AQA I'm doing WJEC sadly
Original post by daisie

I'd also say the first one because if you have CGP revision guides they are very brief and can be too vague for the answers you need to give - I do AQA Geography and the topics I study are: Coasts, Water on Land, Restless Earth, Tourism, Population and Development

Good luck with your exam :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by brainzistheword
I'd also say the first one because if you have CGP revision guides they are very brief and can be too vague for the answers you need to give - I do AQA Geography and the topics I study are: Coasts, Water on Land, Restless Earth, Tourism, Population and Development

Good luck with your exam :smile:

Thanks you too! I do:
Urbanisation, Globalisation and Tourism for Human
Restless Earth, Glaciation and Coasts for Physical

Original post by chrlhyms
I am! Im not doing AQA I'm doing WJEC sadly

Good luck!

I hope you both get the grade that you want :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending