The Student Room Group

Difference between 'With' and 'And' courses

Hi,

I previously made a thread asking about psychology and criminology degree but after I've done some research I saw that some universities offer Psychology AND criminology, whereas, other unis do Criminology WITH psychology.
Can you tell me the difference between these two?
And if there is a difference, can I apply for psychology and criminology, and criminology With psychology with 1 personal statement for different universities?
Thanks
Original post by WORLDCAPTURE
Hi,

I previously made a thread asking about psychology and criminology degree but after I've done some research I saw that some universities offer Psychology AND criminology, whereas, other unis do Criminology WITH psychology.
And if there is a difference, can I apply for psychology and criminology, and criminology With psychology with 1 personal statement for different universities?
Thanks

I think "and" courses split each subject 50/50, whereas "with" courses split 75/25... I'm not sure though. If that's the case the only difference is how much you spend on each subject :smile:
Original post by WORLDCAPTURE
Hi,

Thanks

'With' usually indicates that it's a minor/not studied as in-depth as the main subject e.g. Criminology WITH Psychology = 75% Crim and 25% Psych.
'And' usually indicates that both subjects are studied 50/50 = 50% Crim and 50% Psych.
If in doubt, you can always email the university and ask them personally.

As for your personal statement, I highly doubt it'll make a difference. I applied for two different law degrees with one statement and it was fine. :smile:
'With' usually means an uneven split between the two subjects - in this example 'English with History' is actually 2/3rds English units and 1/3rd History units : https://www.plymouth.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/ba-english-with-history

'And' usually means a straight 50/50 split between the subjects : https://le.ac.uk/courses/english-and-history-ba but Unis can be a bit vague on this point, and so its always something worth asking questions about at Open Days!

Other Unis make it clear that you can vary the balance of one subject to the other as your degree progresses : http://www.york.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/ba-english-history/

For any Joint subject degrees, your PS need to make it clear that you are are interested in both subjects and the cross-over/links between the two.
(edited 7 years ago)
With a joint course. The two subjects are equally weighted and your time is split equally between the two. With a course that says with, the second subject is the minor subject and the first subject is the major :smile: hope that helps

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending