The Student Room Group

Pub server etiquette

I had a trial to work in a pub and I'm starting soon. Nothing too complicated, mainly collecting empty glasses, washing them, bringing food to customers, checking everything is ok etc.
The experienced stuff was nice and guided me and answered some questions but I didn't ask a few I had because I didn't want to seem like a complete clueless noob (which i kinda am). So if anyone had a similar job like this I'd appreciate your help.
I'm mainly worried about etiquette and interacting with customers. For example, I'm not supposed to say anything when collecting glasses, right? Even if they thank me? Saying "You're welcome." would be weird, like I'm doing them this huge favour of collecting their glasses. But is it rude to just stay quiet?
Should I just collect glasses as soon as I see they're empty or wait till most of the table has finished drinking? I feel like I'm annoying if I keep coming back, especially if they're watching a football game.
If they're eating I'm supposed to check if they want anything. What if they're having a conversation? I feel it'd be weird to just interrupt but I also don't think hovering over the table till they're finished is better.
Finally, there's sometimes not any work I can do and I can't just stay behind the bar doing nothing like I'm security. I've been told to just walk around the place and look busy but I feel awkward just walking around eyeing the tables for longer periods of time. Is my awkwardness justified or is this ok?
Thanks
Be an inexperienced noob and ask the questions of your employer. Better that than listen to advice on here which might contradict the expectations of your employer.

Good luck - it isn't rocket science. Just be polite and attentive.
I work in two different bar environments - a family run town restaurant and a chic bar/bistro.

When collecting glasses, make small talk and say you're welcome if they thankyou and say thankyou if they help pass glasses or plates to you. Collect glasses as you notice they are done however not immediately as they would feel watched. Don't wait until all the table has finished as some will drink more/less than others.
In regards of interrupting their conversation, they don't mind as long as you're polite - do not hover for too long. If you're not comfortable interrupting then come back again in five minutes.
When the bar isn't busy, there is limited work to do and you're subconsciously expected to stand still often however make sure you don't seem like you're watching the customers. Always try and be working such as glass collecting, cleaning up mess, asking if everything's okay, wiping down tables, resetting tables etc etc.

Have fun.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by monk1324
I had a trial to work in a pub and I'm starting soon. Nothing too complicated, mainly collecting empty glasses, washing them, bringing food to customers, checking everything is ok etc.
The experienced stuff was nice and guided me and answered some questions but I didn't ask a few I had because I didn't want to seem like a complete clueless noob (which i kinda am). So if anyone had a similar job like this I'd appreciate your help.
I'm mainly worried about etiquette and interacting with customers. For example, I'm not supposed to say anything when collecting glasses, right? Even if they thank me? Saying "You're welcome." would be weird, like I'm doing them this huge favour of collecting their glasses. But is it rude to just stay quiet?
Should I just collect glasses as soon as I see they're empty or wait till most of the table has finished drinking? I feel like I'm annoying if I keep coming back, especially if they're watching a football game.
If they're eating I'm supposed to check if they want anything. What if they're having a conversation? I feel it'd be weird to just interrupt but I also don't think hovering over the table till they're finished is better.
Finally, there's sometimes not any work I can do and I can't just stay behind the bar doing nothing like I'm security. I've been told to just walk around the place and look busy but I feel awkward just walking around eyeing the tables for longer periods of time. Is my awkwardness justified or is this ok?
Thanks

Re: interrupting customers - the chef dispatching the food should call you to do a check back on a table around 5 minutes or so after you take the food to the table, to ensure they are happy with the meal. This is so any quality complaints can be rectified during service.

There's always something to do, whether it be spraying down and wiping the back bar, polishing cutlery, dusting your bottles or restocking bottle fridges during service. The important thing during a downtime in service is to look around you and observe what's going on behind the bar and in the room.

Pay attention to what's in the glasses and bottles your collecting and then look at what's on the bar. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending