The Student Room Group
Dental Students, University of Central Lancashire
University of Central Lancashire
Preston
Visit website

Preston/UClan as a place

Hi,

I've started to look at clearing options, not that I think I've already failed but I like to be prepared, and UClan have quite a lot of options for languages- German and Russian is my firm and insurance choice at Bristol and Sheffield respectively.

The thing is that I've seen quite a few mixed reviews of Preston but quite a lot of the bad reviews of the city/town seem to be from people that came from larger cities. Bearing that in mind, I live in what I would call a small Cheshire town -13,000 people- and you have to get the train into Greater Manchester in order to do anything of interest...

I can have a good night out in my own town even though it doesn't have a nightclub anymore and the bars and pubs are always a bit dead; there aren't a lot of them but people keep saying that the nightlife in Preston is bad? I've not been out in Manchester yet because I didn't turn 18 till a month ago, but the idea of going out in such a big place scares me a little to be honest :colondollar:

Another thing I could say is that (no one get offended) but being close by, I've been to Blackpool quite a lot and I pretty much hate it but couldn't tell you why. Is Preston like Blackpool in that it's a bit downtrodden and sad? I've never been to much of Lancashire apart from that.

I've looked at Aberdeen and Dundee as well for clearing options but just can't make my mind up about UClan.

Any help/opinions would be much appreciated :smile:

Cheers
Reply 1
Warehouse!

Do you like alt rock music in any way?

Aberdeen is fine but miles away from anywhere. Dundee is like Preston but in Scotland and worse.
Dental Students, University of Central Lancashire
University of Central Lancashire
Preston
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by offhegoes
Warehouse!

Do you like alt rock music in any way?

Aberdeen is fine but miles away from anywhere. Dundee is like Preston but in Scotland and worse.

I like all kinds of music really and can definitely listen to anything once I've had a few drinks :tongue: but yeah I liked alt rock music a lot a few years back but could still listen to it now if it was on or came up on Spotify

The fact that Aberdeen is about 6hrs away does put me off quite a lot really and I've heard bad things about Dundee as well
Idk about the nightlife but if you're looking for a small city feel, almost like a town but with the facilities of a city, preston might be for you.

Although nothing ever happens here, it's pretty boring tbh. Feel free to ask me any other questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rleah1998
Hi,

I've started to look at clearing options, not that I think I've already failed but I like to be prepared, and UClan have quite a lot of options for languages- German and Russian is my firm and insurance choice at Bristol and Sheffield respectively.

The thing is that I've seen quite a few mixed reviews of Preston but quite a lot of the bad reviews of the city/town seem to be from people that came from larger cities. Bearing that in mind, I live in what I would call a small Cheshire town -13,000 people- and you have to get the train into Greater Manchester in order to do anything of interest...

I can have a good night out in my own town even though it doesn't have a nightclub anymore and the bars and pubs are always a bit dead; there aren't a lot of them but people keep saying that the nightlife in Preston is bad? I've not been out in Manchester yet because I didn't turn 18 till a month ago, but the idea of going out in such a big place scares me a little to be honest :colondollar:

Another thing I could say is that (no one get offended) but being close by, I've been to Blackpool quite a lot and I pretty much hate it but couldn't tell you why. Is Preston like Blackpool in that it's a bit downtrodden and sad? I've never been to much of Lancashire apart from that.

I've looked at Aberdeen and Dundee as well for clearing options but just can't make my mind up about UClan.

Any help/opinions would be much appreciated :smile:

Cheers

Hi rleah1998,

Preston is a much smaller city than places such as Manchester or Liverpool, it is quite compact and a 10 minute walk from the University campus. From my experiences the nightlife is pretty good, it really depends where you would like to go. Warehouse has 3 floors of different music, Popworld is your 80's/90's bar, Evoque is a massive club that a lot of students go to.

Preston has definitely improved over the years I have attended University, much more nicer restaurants (Turtle Bay, Mudo Tapas to name a couple) and there is now a Trampoline park, The Escape Room, Bowling etc.

There are events that go on in Preston, but they are few and far between, there are some nice pubs that have live music and 53 Degrees has a number of bands that perform and the Source student bar sorts out many student events in the evenings.

Preston is a nice compact city, it is not on the same level as places like Manchester and Liverpool. What I always say is; 'Its not where you are, its who you with.' I hope I helped in some regard!

Regards,

Adam
I've lived near Preston my entire life and I go to college there.
Bits of it aren't too bad. Avenham park is actually really pretty and a good place to chill but there's lots of stoners. There's some decent shops as well but you can get that stuff anywhere and yes it is like Blackpool.
The actual city is a bit of a dump (my opinion).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello,
I'm in the exact same position as you - if you go on the Uclan Facebook group page and search policing the name Amelia Nixon will pop up - please add me so we can have a chat x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending